MD Memorization tips,anyone ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alaaz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hiii so my technique of memorizing is reading a tiny info only once then i try to repeat it at least 6 times in my head than i go to the next line and repeat the same process and after i finish a chapter i recall all the lessn in my head but it is super time consuming like i need about 30-45 minutes per page

What are your techniques ? Do you read a whole paragraph and not line by line 3 times than repeat it while looking away and the repeat the same process with the next paragraph

Members don't see this ad.

The best method is what ever works for you.

I like drawing flow charts and mindmaps.
I also try re-cap summarise what I have learnt or read by watching youtube videos while I eat, or before bed.

So...
I read a page
I draw/write the key concepts
Then reward myself with a video, that goes over the same thing

Reactions: 1 user

I also try re-cap summarise what I have learnt or read by watching youtube videos while I eat, or before bed.

So...
I read a page

So...
I read a page

I just want some guidelines and tips

Members don't see this ad :)
I would write out summaries of the lecture notes with annotations from the professor my first time through. These wouldn't be wordy and I didn't write anything I already knew, unless super important. This is pretty time consuming but seemed to be worth it for me. Later I would reread my study guides highlighting the concepts I haven't grasped yet. At this point you could rattle off a fact in your head a few times to try and solidify. Doing that any earlier seems like a waste of time as we could have 100 pages of lecture notes in a day and you can't spend 45 minutes on each page. Finally, I would go through all my study guides the day before the test and write a new higher yield list of the important things I still haven't grasped. It's all about refining the massive amounts of info into the most high yield list. At least it was for me.

Also what Batchild said about flowcharts. Especially for biochem, physiology, endocrinology...

Hiii so my technique of memorizing is reading a tiny info only once then i try to repeat it at least 6 times in my head than i go to the next line and repeat the same process and after i finish a chapter i recall all the lessn in my head but it is super time consuming like i need about 30-45 minutes per page

What are your techniques ? Do you read a whole paragraph and not line by line 3 times than repeat it while looking away and the repeat the same process with the next paragraph
EASY.....ANKI

Reactions: 1 users
I think memorization is not so much about how often you do it in a day, but how many consecutive days you do it. When I was going through our pharm block, I spent a majority of my studies learning the mechanisms of the medication and then I would give myself 3 days to essentially memorize drug names. I'd write it a certain drug name out along with it's class 3 times and that would be it for that day then repeat it the day after and then the day after.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree Anki can be time consuming (worth it in my opinion though!) - if you don't want to invest the time, I would recommend using it in a modified way so that at least you can use the spaced repetition feature (as another member commented - it's about consecutive repetition). Instead of making a complete card, just put quick prompts on a card - like "Pilocarpine MOA" and even if you don't write out the answer, at least you are quizzing yourself and separating what you know from what you don't know.

I think part of the reason reading something over and over doesn't work well is because you read both what you know and what you don't know and the brain naturally gravitates towards what it knows because this is familiar and reassuring. You need to find a way to challenge your memory to transition unknown facts from short-term to long-term.

I read the entire chapter or large segments of it. After this, I go back and try to explain the main concept out loud from memory (really condense it into the most core concept). If I can't seem to remember, well I look up the info from the book. This turns reading into an active process by doing active recall. At the beginning, one sucks at this, but like everything it takes practice.

I wouldn't repeat something in my head. You have to elaborate the information for it to stick. Repeating it is simply too passive. You can do what I mentioned before or find another way to make your reading more active; draw concept maps, write down questions about key points, write down summaries. Do whatever it is that you want, but elaborate the information and "make it your own" in a sense.

So those are active study techniques. As for memorization proper, try making mnemonics or my personal favorite the mind palace (this takes practice but it is amazing when understood).

Finally, as for review, try out the spaced repetition method.

Hope it helped.

Last edited:
The more you understand, the less you memorize. For the rest I use sketches, sketchies, and mnemonics.