Melbourne vs Flinders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daniel565

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
For the best likelihood at getting a Canadian residency: University of Melbourne vs Flinders University.

This' what I have so far:
Reputation - Melbourne>flinders
Time for rotations - Melbourne has the last year dedicated to research/specialty training (can be done overseas)
Linkages - I hear Flinders has the edge with PDs here
Exam time - Melbourne beats Flinders here with the last year giving more leeway/freedom for MCCEE and QE1
Opportunities to boost application with published papers - Melbourne by a mile

I've a week to make a decision, any input is appreciated, thank so much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Sdn being more US-oriented I figured I'd get more Can-views here but on second thought your probably right tho..

I don't know for sure that the 4th year curriculum at melbourne would be more flexible, but I'm sort of assuming that research/transition to practice would be more open than standardized rotations.

Can't really be sure that I'll get my name up in a flashy journal but I am gonna do what I can, and I figure Melbourne's last year gives an edge there.

I attended half of the Oztrekk talk yesterday too and the intership issue was made out to be slightly overhyped in the public, sucks cuz I had an exam and couldn't catch anything after halfway but are you sort of skeptical? I dunno where I stand yet, I just figured that for rez a sequence of 1)Can 2)US/Oz 3)NZ/Singore makes not getting one (with good scores) fairly unlikely...

Did you hear anything else about the roundtable Can-Oz topic & did you find it actually realistic (not psychic I just checked your past posts :oops: .. Ok maybe I'm a little psychic :p)

Thx in advance btw

Cost is definitely a big difference but I'm sort of trying to divorce that aspect from my thought process for now.

Members don't see this ad :)
All good points. Thanks for your input Canuck, it was really valuable.
I'm gonna sleep on it for a couple more days and then make a decision.
Take care

Edit: P.S. I also appreciate you taking the time to retype your last post :)