Flinders vs. St. Georges

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turbo82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

I was recently accepted to both St. Georges University in the Caribbean, and have a deferred acceptance to Flinders medical school in Adelaide as well. I'm so confused! Does anyone have any thoughts on which would be better for me, and what some of the pro's and cons are for each? I'm Canadian and would like the option of coming back to Canada if I wanted...

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

If by cost alone, SGU is more expensive since their tuition fees and other fees will probably be in the upper 40K US while Flinders costs will be in the range of about 30-35K with their dollar close to the Canadian one. Both will mean that you are an IMG and going through exactly the same process to gain a residency in Canada. SGU may be slightly more preferrable especially if you seek residency training in the US with the 2 years of clinical work done in US hospital and ample opportunity for reference letters. You can also schedule rotations/electives in Canada and the US if you decide to go to Flinders. There are a couple of Canadians who went to SGU who matched in the 2nd iteration of Carms so it is definitely possible for you to come back home if you attend either universities but it won't be easy. Good luck and congrats!

Turbo82 said:
Hi there!

I was recently accepted to both St. Georges University in the Caribbean, and have a deferred acceptance to Flinders medical school in Adelaide as well. I'm so confused! Does anyone have any thoughts on which would be better for me, and what some of the pro's and cons are for each? I'm Canadian and would like the option of coming back to Canada if I wanted...

Thanks so much!

Turbo82 said:
Hi there!

Thanks so much!

I've done research on this recently and this is my opininion. The academic standards put forth by the Australian Medical Council (AMC) that all Aussie schools must adhere to are of very high quality, and certainly very comparable to the Committee on Accreditation of Canadian Medical Schools (CACMS). The carribean island of Grenada doesn't even have an accrediting national body that is comparable to either the AMC or CACMS.

I would choose Flinders. Australia is part of the British Commonwealth and the CACMS generally accepts medical training in other parts of the Commonwealth and you may also have more options of doing your post-graduate training in Australia and then get licensed in Canada. Certainly it will be easier (if you are Canadian) to eventually get back to Canada and be licensed if you do you training in the Commonwealth.

Just to add to this. If Canada is your goal to practice, then Flinders is your surest bet for a residency program.