Meharry Masters of Health Science Program 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhadedouglas512

Reaction score
Hello all! I wanted to start this thread so people can ask questions about the program and to share their experiences! Let's be POSITIVE!!! :p

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey Future Meharrians! I just applied as well. I’m patiently waiting.

HEY! So it's no longer invitation only but if I apply directly to the MHS program as a linkage do I have to have taken the GRE or DAT already?

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe that it is still by invitation only. Make sure you confirmed otherwise.

I emailed admissions to verify but i haven’t heard back. There is an application on their website tho but yeah I’m still waiting for verification.

Good luck to everyone applying to meharry this cycle. Hopefully we all hear good news soon regarding admissions!

I’m curious if any of the MHS courses at Meharry are transferable into the MD program. Didn’t know that was a thing but two other programs I looked into allow certain courses to be transferred in with a “B” average. That’s unheard of but that’s lit

Only the dental school is allowing direct MHS applications. You will need to have taken the DAT or GRE already. Preferably DAT just to make yourself more desirable. Medical students will be invite only this cycle.

MHS classes are not transferrable, however, doing well in those classes can almost guarentee that you will have a MUCH smoother transition into dental/medical school At Meharry!

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello!! I am working on the MHS application. Does anyone know the word count for the required essay? If you are invited to apply, what are the chances of getting in the program? Has anyone heard back from the program that applied? Thank you and good luck!

Does anyone know how long the MHS program is? I'm still waiting to hear back about an interview as well

Does anyone know how long the MHS program is? I'm still waiting to hear back about an interview as well
its a one year program. You start in August, program ends in April, then graduation in May

Reactions: 1 users
Hi does anyone know when the deadline is to submit an application to the mhs program ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke with someone in Dental School admissions and they told me that the MHS was still invite only so I'm confused. Should I just apply anyway?

I spoke to someone around octoberish of last year and he told me that they were changing how you could apply to the MHS program. He said that you still apply by way of invite or that at the beginning of the year which would've been January of this year, that the application would be open to everyone.

Just wondering for the medical school admissions....Do you have to have the MCAT taken for this program? I took it once and did horrible but I don't want to even share that score. Literally about to submit the application now so just looking for clarification.

Reactions: 1 user
I spoke to someone around octoberish of last year and he told me that they were changing how you could apply to the MHS program. He said that you still apply by way of invite or that at the beginning of the year which would've been January of this year, that the application would be open to everyone.

Just wondering for the medical school admissions....Do you have to have the MCAT taken for this program? I took it once and did horrible but I don't want to even share that score. Literally about to submit the application now so just looking for clarification.
That sounds right, they really want to expand the program to allow people who havent applied to medical and dental school apply directly to the mhs program, but being completely honest, chances of being accepted without applying to the med/dental schools is pretty slim.

You DO need to have taken the MCAT or DAT, but they will also accept GRE scores (but again, your chances of being accepted are slim if you dont have a MCAT or DAT score). if you at least have a MCAT score for them to reference then you can be considered for the program. You will have to retake the exams to get a certain score to be accepted into schools once the program ends (503 on MCAT or 17 on DAT). They have a MCAT prep program that will help you prepare for the tests that must be retaken by January.

How long did it take you to get an acceptance? I’ve read in other threads that it took as long as July...
Yea, some people can be accepted late. However, the bulk of this incoming MHS class will know whether they are accepted before June. However, they are always readjusting the class sizes so some people will get acceptances as late as July, but thats rare.

Yea, some people can be accepted late. However, the bulk of this incoming MHS class will know whether they are accepted before June. However, they are always readjusting the class sizes so some people will get acceptances as late as July, but thats rare.

Do you mind sharing your stats?

How many people have been invited to the med masters program? If you have what is your current status with Meharry this cycle? Those of you who have done the program how many people made it into Meharry and how many did not.

Does anyone know what the pre-requisite classes are for the MHS program I can’t seem to find it online.

Does anyone know what the pre-requisite classes are for the MHS program I can’t seem to find it online.

There isn’t mention of any specific pre-reqs, but once accepted you’ll need to reapply to the Medical/Dental school. As long as you have the pre-req classes Meharry requires for you’re track, you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know how COVID-19 will affect the MHS application process? Has anyone heard from Meharry on this topic?

Does anyone know how COVID-19 will affect the MHS application process? Has anyone heard from Meharry on this topic?

Someone on the Meharry Medical School Forum said this "So I called today just to see the status of everything and they said that pretty much everything is on hold because of what's going on right now. They said that they won't be making a lot of decisions as most of the admissions committee is in quarantine so... it seems like most things are up in the air" So I'm guessing the same will apply to this program.

Has anyone had any updates to your application since the Covid-19 Outbreak?

Hey anyone that applied directly can you please help me on applying, I've been searching for the link for a few days now. Thank you!
@Chels1017 is right.

Create an account to setup your application (username and password). Login and select which program you want to apply to/attend. Select MHS (Master of Health Science).

Has anyone had any updates to your application since the Covid-19 Outbreak?
I received an email asking to resend transcripts and test scores a couple of days ago.

Anyone on here applied to Meharry's MD program and received an invitation to MHS program recently?

What are the odds you'll receive an invite to the MHS program if you've already interviewed for med/dent?

What are the odds you'll receive an invite to the MHS program if you've already interviewed for med/dent?

Better than most. All dents get interviewed and of the ones that get interviewed about 18 - 22 will be invited to MHS after being rejected as a dental applicant. In my experience. On my interview day there was like 8 people. 2 got accepted directly into the Dental school, and the other 6 was accepted into MHS. So if you got an interview stay positive!

The Medical students are moreso selected by how well they look on paper, and how well their application is (I believe there is some essay or video questions now?) They mostly use those to select how many medical students get accepted. There are A LOT more medical spots than dental spots, for example. This year there are about 70 pre-med students in MHS.

Good luck. Hopefully the virus doesn’t ruin the admissions process for yall. Stay safe!

Better than most. All dents get interviewed and of the ones that get interviewed about 18 - 22 will be invited to MHS after being rejected as a dental applicant. In my experience. On my interview day there was like 8 people. 2 got accepted directly into the Dental school, and the other 6 was accepted into MHS. So if you got an interview stay positive!

The Medical students are moreso selected by how well they look on paper, and how well their application is (I believe there is some essay or video questions now?) They mostly use those to select how many medical students get accepted. There are A LOT more medical spots than dental spots, for example. This year there are about 70 pre-med students in MHS.

Good luck. Hopefully the virus doesn’t ruin the admissions process for yall. Stay safe!
After getting accepted into MHS dental, what do students need to maintain (GPA and DAT) to guarantee admission into dental school the following year?

Do they look at just the gpa and MCAT or the application as a whole?

That sounds right, they really want to expand the program to allow people who havent applied to medical and dental school apply directly to the mhs program, but being completely honest, chances of being accepted without applying to the med/dental schools is pretty slim.

You DO need to have taken the MCAT or DAT, but they will also accept GRE scores (but again, your chances of being accepted are slim if you dont have a MCAT or DAT score). if you at least have a MCAT score for them to reference then you can be considered for the program. You will have to retake the exams to get a certain score to be accepted into schools once the program ends (503 on MCAT or 17 on DAT). They have a MCAT prep program that will help you prepare for the tests that must be retaken by January.
Do you know what are some specifics they look at when reviewing an applicant for an interview and acceptance?

After getting accepted into MHS dental, what do students need to maintain (GPA and DAT) to guarantee admission into dental school the following year?
Last year it was 3.0 and 17DAT, but they may change that this year.

Do they look at just the gpa and MCAT or the application as a whole?
The GPA and MCAT gets your foot in the door, but then after that they look at the application as a whole. They dont accept anybody that they dont think can make it in the school. So if you have like, a 480 MCAT and you seem to be a decent student do well in classes, and have a very well put together application. I think that they would be more inclined to accept you into MHS to give you a chance to get the 503 needed and continue to excel in classes. Obviously, I’m not on the admissions board so dont stake too much on this, but I do know that there were plenty of past MHS people who had a lower MCAT score, and they went through MHS, got the score they needed and went on to med school.

As far as specifics that the admissions committee looks for, I do not know What things may stand out to them the most. I would just say be your authentic self and let that show through your application and eventual interview date.

anyone on here who applied to med school and got invited into MHS program?