Meh applicant - chances and school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

K M R

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Academics
-School: Midwest State University
-Tuition and fees scholarship (five years)
-Semester honors x 5
-Major: Undergraduate + graduate dual degree program (both in social sciences)
-Minor: Biology
-cGPA = 3.77
-sGPA = 3.60
-sGPA (DO) = 3.63
-gradGPA = 3.94
-MCAT: 33P (VR 13, PS 10, BS 10, WS P)

ECs
-Musician in collegiate show choir (three years, scholarship)
-Musician in church music group (one year)
-College tennis club (one year) + USTA 4.0 singles
-College rowing club (one semester)
-Pre-professional student organization (four years)
-Physician shadowing (50 hours; general surgery, peds, EM, IM)

Volunteering (300 hours)
-Four alternative breaks (140 hours)
-University fundraising and open houses (25 hours)
-Volunteer CNA at a free clinic for the uninsured (100 hours, ongoing)
-Child/youth tutor (15 hours, ongoing)
-Nature museum guide (20 hours, congoing)

Employment
-Fast food, hotel housekeeper, newspaper carrier, construction labor
-Child/youth music instructor (1.5 years so far, ongoing)

School List (KS resident, SC ties)
KS: KU
MO: KCUMB, KCOM
NC: Wake Forest
SC: USC, USC-Greenville, MUSC, VCOM-Carolinas

Three generic and three strong LORs, including a DO physician letter. Wasn't pre-med until junior year, so I'm appying at age 24. Low-ish sGPA. I want to apply to 10 schools total. Strong interest in public health due to academic background.

What about RFU and Albany to finish out my list? What are my chances? Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest looking at IS vs OOS in the MSAR...your list will change a lot.

I suggest looking at IS vs OOS in the MSAR...your list will change a lot.

It sucks being a KS resident. We have one, that's right ONE, medical school.

So I'll remove the two NC schools. Then what? I do have very, very strong ties to South Carolina - my parents are from there, most of my relatives currently live there, my family had a plantation there in the 1700s which is currently a farm, and I worked on it for parts of three summers.

I want to apply to about ten schools total, probably 5-6 MD and 4-5 DO. Help?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Fixed GPAs + bump. Need advice, please!!

Try being from NH where we have 0 public schools. I took a year off just to change residency and I ended up going to a private school! Anyways, You have a great shot at VCOM-Carolinas. This is where I will be this fall and it is an amazing school, I fell in love during my interview day. I also think KU will show you some love. USC OOS tuition is atrocious (~$85,000). You may have strong ties, however I don't think they will give you the tuition break. MUSC is a little bit more forgiving for OOS students, I believe.
The DO schools you are applying to also need a DO LOR, so make sure that you have one of those for your application. Good Luck!

Try being from NH where we have 0 public schools. I took a year off just to change residency and I ended up going to a private school! Anyways, You have a great shot at VCOM-Carolinas. This is where I will be this fall and it is an amazing school, I fell in love during my interview day. I also think KU will show you some love. USC OOS tuition is atrocious (~$85,000). You may have strong ties, however I don't think they will give you the tuition break. MUSC is a little bit more forgiving for OOS students, I believe.
The DO schools you are applying to also need a DO LOR, so make sure that you have one of those for your application. Good Luck!

Hey thanks man. I know USC tuition is insane. I would defer for a year if I were accepted there (shhh...don't tell anyone!), so I could work and obtain SC residency.

I hope, and I mean really hope, that I do get some love at KU. They're at 3.7/3.6/29 now so I should be competitive.

Bump - where are you Catalystik??? :)

Hey thanks man. I know USC tuition is insane. I would defer for a year if I were accepted there (shhh...don't tell anyone!), so I could work and obtain SC residency.

I hope, and I mean really hope, that I do get some love at KU. They're at 3.7/3.6/29 now so I should be competitive.

I don't think you can do that, plus schools require a damn good reason to grant you a deferment...that's if you even get in to the school since its so OOS unfriendly.