High MCAT meh GPA URM; What schools should I be applying to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gareen

Reaction score
Ok.

I’m a low SES URM (AA), 3.6 CGPA 3.4 CGPA in an IT degree.

80 shadowing hours, 250 hrs volunteering in a clinical setting, and 300+ volunteering nonclinical over the last 4 years.

(I initially started undergrad with a much harder degree, so I ended up getting C-‘s and D’s in a few classes (frosh - soph years). I retook all of them (including ones from HS dual credit) so I ended up with 4 retakes on my transcript ):)

518 MCAT (128/128/132/130).

I worked very hard with regards to studying for the MCAT considering I have yet to take biochem (studied out of the textbook prescribed by syllabus)

I’m in the PNW, so I’ll be applying to UW (in-state), WSU, and PNWU DO.

I’m thinking to apply to OSU and some HBCU’s as well but after that I’m not sure where else my odds of admission would be maximized.

I would LOVE to go to Cornell Qatar or RCSI Bahrain because my mother has a lot of family in the Gulf and I’m familiar with the language and culture. (If anyone has information about admissions there please PM me)

I will be applying this upcoming cycle with my 2022 MCAT score.

Please help me SDN wizards (;

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How is your AA background connected to Qatar and Bahrain ?
Well my father has origins in subsaharan Africa and my mothers paternal roots are in subsaharan Africa as well, but her maternal family are from the Gulf.

I suggest these OOS schools with your stats:
Dartmouth
Brown
Harvard
Boston University
Yale
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Cornell
Columbia
Pittsburgh
Case Western
Cincinnati
U Penn
Georgetown
Duke
Miami
Vanderbilt
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Northwestern
U Chicago
UCSF

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these OOS schools with your stats:
Dartmouth
Brown
Harvard
Boston University
Yale
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Cornell
Columbia
Pittsburgh
Case Western
Cincinnati
U Penn
Georgetown
Duke
Miami
Vanderbilt
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Northwestern
U Chicago
UCSF
Are there any west coast schools I should apply to as well?

Also do Ohio State and U of MN make sense? Because I have tons of family in both cities which is nice.

Are there any west coast schools I should apply to as well?

Also do Ohio State and U of MN make sense? Because I have tons of family in both cities which is nice.
Ohio State and Minnesota are both realistic but mention in your secondaries your family connections. For the west coast you could add UCLA, USC Keck, Kaiser.

Ohio State and Minnesota are both realistic but mention in your secondaries your family connections. For the west coast you could add UCLA, USC Keck, Kaiser.
Okay. Do you think I will get any interviews? My freshman and parts of my sophomore year was lackluster.