Meeting with someone from medical board coming up - tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What makes you think there was no remediation?
They probably were really trying to help him fix the problems , until it was realized that the problem was he didn’t have the appropriate clinical judgement…I’m all for supporting those physicians and not increasing mid level encroachment… but I’m not for unqualified physician being passed through just because they completed Med school… we have to be held to a high standard…it’s not a thin blue line here…physicians that can’t manage pt are dangerous and getting a medical license should not be rubber stamped.
By remediation, I meant they should have made him/her repeat a whole year where OP has a faculty mentor that he/she report to (or meets with) every 2 months. OP graduated in 2018, so I assume he did not repeat any year. It's not reasonable to let OP go thru PGY1/PGY2/PGY3 and then terminate him.

The PD should have some blame in this whole thing. I might have been more understanding if they terminated OP after PGY2, but let him do PGY3 out of a 4-year residency and then terminate him is not reasonable.

My program terminated a PGY1 because she had a hard time adapting with inpatient medicine. They said they were going to help her to get a FM spot but that resident did not want to do FM.

I am not saying that PD should 'rubber stamp' anyone to have a license; however, it should not take a PD a WHOLE 3 yrs to see that someone will not be a good match for a specialty that takes 4 yrs to complete.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Legal authority means little without board-certification. It is impossible to comprehend, unless you have personally been in that situation.
There certainly aren't as many jobs without BC, but they do exist. There's threads galore on here about it.

Prison medicine is the most common: BOP: General Practitioner

By remediation, I meant they should have made him/her repeat a whole year where OP has a faculty mentor that he/she report to (or meets with) every 2 months. OP graduated in 2018, so I assume he did not repeat any year. It's not reasonable to let OP go thru PGY1/PGY2/PGY3 and then terminate him.

The PD should have some blame in this whole thing. I might have been more understanding if they terminated OP after PGY2, but let him do PGY3 out of a 4-year residency and then terminate him is not reasonable.

My program terminated a PGY1 because she had a hard time adapting with inpatient medicine. They said they were going to help her to get a FM spot but that resident did not want to do FM.

I am not saying that PD should 'rubber stamp' anyone to have a license; however, it should not take a PD a WHOLE 3 yrs to see that someone will not be a good match for a specialty that takes 4 yrs to complete.
You make lots of absolute statements that aren't always true.

1) Your baseless suggestion that "residents who get terminated or in trouble are always made out to the be the victims" shows your ineptitude with respect to this topic. With all of the training you received on evidence-based medicine, I would think that you might do some research before you make brash suggestions about a constituency of people that you clearly have no understanding of. Painting any group of people with broad strokes of criticism and disdain using absolute terms, such as "always," serves no purpose to this discussion other than to degrade the content of this post to a senseless back-and-forth of biased speculations based upon singular events that in no way help the OP or any others reading its content other than to reinforce bias and perpetuate baseless assumptions.

Your entire diatribe was a series of baseless insults lodged at someone with a hell of a lot more knowledge than you about these situations. But hey, I'll play.

I have been on SDN since 2011. I have been a med student, a resident, on the promotions committee, an interviewer, a faculty member and the institution's GME appeals. Yes, residents who are terminated are always made out to be the victim. Always. 100%. Here on these threads, in their appeals to the programs and to the medical boards. In a small minority of cases, they are the victim. In the vast majority of incidents, they are not in any way, shape, or form. See: Stephanie Waggle.

1) Having a restricted license without board-certification has drastic career implications. Dismissing the severity of this reality by saying "it sucks" is not only disrespectful, it is reckless and ignorant.

Is it actually reckless and ignorant when a program has labeled a resident incompetent? I think what's reckless and ignorant is your everyone-gets-a-trophy approach where you seem to be implying that even someone terminated for incompetence (by the OP's own words, can't recognize emergencies) deserves an unrestricted medical license as if it's a birth right or something. A medical license is earned by proving competency, not by how long you've spent studying.

2) Taking the singular point of issuing a restricted license out-of-context and inferring that I suggested that it was evidence of sabotage by the medical board is not only narrow-minded, it is downright pathetic. You yet again illustrate your bias and lack of insight into this topic.

Where did I "infer (you) suggested that it was evidence of sabotage by the medical board"? I was responding to your exact words, not inferring evidence of anything. But feel free to continue insulting me. That'll help your position.

1) Making a generalization that attendings and PDs are "too nice" has no relevance to this discussion

Of course it has relevance when the topic is how did they let him get so far without terminating him before. How is that not relevant?

2) Your point about a PD vouching for the skills of every person they graduate is valid. But why not give another PD in the same specialty the opportunity to evaluate a residents qualifications by allowing that resident to transfer to another program? What harm would come from a resident finding success in another program?

If you can't recognize emergencies, you most likely don't belong in clinical medicine. The OP didn't forbid the poster from trying to find another position, but he is not going to help him and that's his right.

3) Instead of receiving assistance finding another opportunity, the resident in question now cannot even obtain a medical license to maintain an income while struggling to find a way to continue his training. Every month that the medical board delays his licensure is a month that he is unable to obtain income

That's now how licenses are given. The board doesn't look at an app and wonder about the financial impact to the detriment of competence and public safety.

Legal authority means little without board-certification. It is impossible to comprehend, unless you have personally been in that situation

Dude, what makes you think you and only you can comprehend this stuff and no one else can. Who do you think the people on the other side of the table are?

The options for these physicians are thus few and far between

There is a program in MO called the Assistant Physician pathway for those who didn't do residency. That is still available to the OP as far as I know.

Thank you for yet again showing your ineptitude by suggesting that every resident that is terminated, issued a restricted license, etc is "clinically incompetent". I don't even have words for how appalling this statement is

I'm glad you don't have words for how appalling a statement is that I never said. THIS poster was deemed incompetent. THIS poster has like 9 threads about his saga. You should probably read those before you insult me with a barrage of names while misquoting me.

One reason among many: When there isn't justification for termination, it takes time to build a paper trail robust enough to either coerce residents to resign and prevent them from successfully appealing any decision of termination or contract non-renewal

So said every resident who's been terminated, until we all see the court records from the lawsuit they (unsuccessfully) tried to lodge. @operaman has cited more than one of these lawsuits in the past.

Reactions: 9 users
It's quasi impossible to find a job with the AP license in Missouri. Do you think someone with an AP license will practice 'healthcare' instead of medicine? History has shown us supervision of midlevels is meaningless.

Reactions: 1 users
A user with the same name as the OP shared their story on reddit a long while ago and I recall them mentioning an incident involving a failure to consult neurosurgery for suspected cord compression following trauma and letting the patient go overnight without any further workup.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Your entire diatribe was a series of baseless insults lodged at someone with a hell of a lot more knowledge than you about these situations. But hey, I'll play.

I have been on SDN since 2011. I have been a med student, a resident, on the promotions committee, an interviewer, a faculty member and the institution's GME appeals. Yes, residents who are terminated are always made out to be the victim. Always. 100%. Here on these threads, in their appeals to the programs and to the medical boards. In a small minority of cases, they are the victim. In the vast majority of incidents, they are not in any way, shape, or form. See: Stephanie Waggle.

Is it actually reckless and ignorant when a program has labeled a resident incompetent? I think what's reckless and ignorant is your everyone-gets-a-trophy approach where you seem to be implying that even someone terminated for incompetence (by the OP's own words, can't recognize emergencies) deserves an unrestricted medical license as if it's a birth right or something. A medical license is earned by proving competency, not by how long you've spent studying.

Where did I "infer (you) suggested that it was evidence of sabotage by the medical board"? I was responding to your exact words, not inferring evidence of anything. But feel free to continue insulting me. That'll help your position.

Of course it has relevance when the topic is how did they let him get so far without terminating him before. How is that not relevant?

If you can't recognize emergencies, you most likely don't belong in clinical medicine. The OP didn't forbid the poster from trying to find another position, but he is not going to help him and that's his right.

That's now how licenses are given. The board doesn't look at an app and wonder about the financial impact to the detriment of competence and public safety.

Dude, what makes you think you and only you can comprehend this stuff and no one else can. Who do you think the people on the other side of the table are?

There is a program in MO called the Assistant Physician pathway for those who didn't do residency. That is still available to the OP as far as I know.

I'm glad you don't have words for how appalling a statement is that I never said. THIS poster was deemed incompetent. THIS poster has like 9 threads about his saga. You should probably read those before you insult me with a barrage of names while misquoting me.

So said every resident who's been terminated, until we all see the court records from the lawsuit they (unsuccessfully) tried to lodge. @operaman has cited more than one of these lawsuits in the past.
God bless you man for having the patience to respond to all that GenZ “everyone gets a trophy” crap. I must be getting more and more crotchety in my old age because I don’t think I could stop my eyes from rolling long enough to type such an elegant reply!

I don’t know where some people get this idea that if you get into Med school and stick around long enough you get to be a physician. You do actually have to get good at it eventually. If you don’t then you don’t get to be one, period.

I’m actually impressed by the medical board in this case that they’re being so thoughtful about the situation. I’m sure the application asked about issues in training, malpractice claims, etc, so it may be more than just the PD’s hesitation that makes the board more cautious.

This is actually exactly the kind of situation where a restricted license may be the best solution.

Reactions: 5 users
God bless you man for having the patience to respond to all that GenZ “everyone gets a trophy” crap. I must be getting more and more crotchety in my old age because I don’t think I could stop my eyes from rolling long enough to type such an elegant reply!

I don’t know where some people get this idea that if you get into Med school and stick around long enough you get to be a physician. You do actually have to get good at it eventually. If you don’t then you don’t get to be one, period.

I’m actually impressed by the medical board in this case that they’re being so thoughtful about the situation. I’m sure the application asked about issues in training, malpractice claims, etc, so it may be more than just the PD’s hesitation that makes the board more cautious.

This is actually exactly the kind of situation where a restricted license may be the best solution.
i too am impressed with mass effect being able to address all of the dunning -kruger posted here.

Some updates...unfortunately they are wanting to extend the investigation for at least 3 more months, they are starting by asking me the same questions they did before but this time it's from a board lawyer. My lawyer knows this board lawyer and works with him a lot, but unfortunately he says most likely the board is wanting some kind of restrictions, which I can't have, otherwise my license will be next to useless...
I am starting to think medicine was the wrong career choice for me...
IonClaws - hang tough! Keep going after that license and appropriate residency.

Reactions: 1 user
i too am impressed with mass effect being able to address all of the dunning -kruger posted here.
In the words of David Dunning:

"Nowhere is this blindness more perceptible than in the impressions that incompetent performers have of their own intellectual and social achievements, and it is a cautionary tale for the rest of us, because, at times, we are the ones who exchange roles with them. Ignorance makes a habit of sly and artful invisibility. But, perhaps, once we know of the trick, we become a little bit wiser in how to look out for and deal with this mischievous, significant, and hopefully not-too-frequent companion."

In my experience, those that accuse others of being incompetent and lacking insight tend to be projecting their own incompetence on others and proving themselves to be ignorant.

• Hmm

"Nowhere is this blindness more perceptible than in the impressions that incompetent performers have of their own intellectual and social achievements, and it is a cautionary tale for the rest of us, because, at times, we are the ones who exchange roles with them. Ignorance makes a habit of sly and artful invisibility. But, perhaps, once we know of the trick, we become a little bit wiser in how to look out for and deal with this mischievous, significant, and hopefully not-too-frequent companion."

In my experience, those that accuse others of being incompetent and lacking insight tend to be projecting their own incompetence on others and proving themselves to be ignorant.
So your answer is …im
Rubber and you are glue? Seriously…

though the appropriate response here would be another quote that I should heed and take advice from
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Mark Twain

• Haha
  • Love
So your answer is …im
Rubber and you are glue? Seriously…

though the appropriate response here would be another quote that I should heed and take advice from

Mark Twain
That’s a miscited quote actually. Mark Twain supposedly said something like “don’t argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” But it’s not verifiable. The quote you cited is often attributed to Greg King, but again not very verifiable. They all seem to be derived from Proverbs 26:4:

Don’t answer the foolish arguments of fools, or you will become as foolish as they are.

1) Accusing the confrontation of outlandish generalizations as being abusive and bitter by calling it a diatribe illustrates a lack of humility and willingness to learn from considering a perspective that contradicts your own.

2) The duration of your membership on SDN has no relevance to your understanding of residents who have terminated.

3) Though your academic positions may have exposed you to a small sample of physicians in this constituency, you fail to acknowledge that making generalized statements about a population based on the cohort you have encountered is objectively biased and invalidates the significance of claims that you make because you fail to address that bias.

4) The vast majority of these cases are resolved with a non-disparaging agreement, precluding anyone that wasn't personally involved from ever knowing the facts. To reference one case in the last 50 years that was not concluded this way and make conjectures about 100% of cases is yet again biased and invalid.

5) My confrontation about your lack of insight into the consequences of being unable to obtain board certification in no way suggests that I have an "everyone-gets-a-trophy approach," nor that I am "implying that even someone terminated for incompetence (by the OP's own words, can't recognize emergencies) deserves an unrestricted medical license as if it's a birth right or something."

6) I apologize if confronting careless and/or inaccurate comments/perspectives makes you feel that I am "insulting" you.

7) As you said "most things aren't significant enough to terminate a resident over." It would be unreasonable to suggest that his completion of 3 years was because the "PD's are too nice" and they "allow things to slide." Since you failed to list being a PD in your recitation of your academic positions, it would be difficult to support your opinion that PDs are too nice beyond speculations.

8) A PD has an immense influence on a former resident's ability to obtain a position in another residency program, regardless of specialty. That is why a neutral PD letter approved by the resident in question is often negotiated for in settlements.

9) My own biased opinion is that most, if not all, physicians that match into a residency program would not have gotten there if they were objectively incompetent. It would seem to me that if a resident was struggling due to any number of issues aside from/in addition to incompetence, it would not be unreasonable to determine that a transfer to another program was more appropriate than trying to remediate, place on probation, etc... until a PD is forced to terminate because he no longer has any other direction to go. This would benefit not only the resident but the PD, as the sequence of arduous disciplinary actions might have been avoided by exploring the option of transfer earlier.

9) Yet again, it is inappropriate to make the conjecture that all physicians who fail to finish their residency program and/or go before the medical board are incompetent and/or detrimental to public safety. The point that I was trying to make was that the adverse implications of the onerous process involved when going before the medical board has for a former resident physician that cannot find employment unless issued a medical license are substantially greater than for a physician that is actively working. Understandably, a medical board would be unlikely to give preferential treatment to an applicant for a medical license in this position. Yet, it is difficult to understand the damage that refusing to explore the possibility of transfer early on can have if you are unaware of these unforeseen consequences. I am not suggesting that PDs have any responsibility to explore this, but I believe that many PDs are genuinely trying to help residents that are struggling and going through the sequential disciplinary processes until termination may not be the optimal way of proceeding.

10) I made no indication that I am the only person who can "comprehend this stuff." I suggested that it is impossible to comprehend the impact that not being eligible for/having board-certification has unless you have personally been through it, which many people (myself included) have had to face. I'm not sure who "people on the other side of the table" refers to in this case. Feel free to clarify.

11) I live in Missouri. I don't expect everyone who fails to complete their residency to move to MO to provide "only primary care services and only in medically underserved rural or urban areas of this state or in any pilot project areas established in which assistant physicians may practice." (Missouri Revisor of Statutes - Revised Statutes of Missouri, RSMo, Missouri Law, MO Law, Joint Committee on Legislative Research)

12) Please identify how I insulted you with a "barrage of names while misquoting" you when I confronted you for ending your suggestion that a physician could get hospital privileges without being board eligible with the rhetorical and flippant comment "if your mom went to urgent care for any reason, would you want her doctor there to be someone who was not allowed to complete residency because he was clinically incompetent." This is objectively a conjecture that physicians ineligible for board certification were not allowed to complete residency because of clinical incompetency. Your statements are directed at all physicians in this scenario, not just the OP.

13) If you know of someone else who has reviewed 164 of these cases over the last 50 years, please have them to contact me. Until you know the facts of every situation, please refrain from attacking people that you know nothing about. It undermines your credibility and reflects poorly on the medical community.

Wait, the OP was terminated for incompetence and your position is that the PD is the one who's incompetent? What?

1) Accusing the confrontation of outlandish generalizations as being abusive and bitter by calling it a diatribe illustrates a lack of humility and willingness to learn from considering a perspective that contradicts your own.

2) The duration of your membership on SDN has no relevance to your understanding of residents who have terminated.

3) Though your academic positions may have exposed you to a small sample of physicians in this constituency, you fail to acknowledge that making generalized statements about a population based on the cohort you have encountered is objectively biased and invalidates the significance of claims that you make because you fail to address that bias.

4) The vast majority of these cases are resolved with a non-disparaging agreement, precluding anyone that wasn't personally involved from ever knowing the facts. To reference one case in the last 50 years that was not concluded this way and make conjectures about 100% of cases is yet again biased and invalid.

5) My confrontation about your lack of insight into the consequences of being unable to obtain board certification in no way suggests that I have an "everyone-gets-a-trophy approach," nor that I am "implying that even someone terminated for incompetence (by the OP's own words, can't recognize emergencies) deserves an unrestricted medical license as if it's a birth right or something."

6) I apologize if confronting careless and/or inaccurate comments/perspectives makes you feel that I am "insulting" you.

7) As you said "most things aren't significant enough to terminate a resident over." It would be unreasonable to suggest that his completion of 3 years was because the "PD's are too nice" and they "allow things to slide." Since you failed to list being a PD in your recitation of your academic positions, it would be difficult to support your opinion that PDs are too nice beyond speculations.

8) A PD has an immense influence on a former resident's ability to obtain a position in another residency program, regardless of specialty. That is why a neutral PD letter approved by the resident in question is often negotiated for in settlements.

9) My own biased opinion is that most, if not all, physicians that match into a residency program would not have gotten there if they were objectively incompetent. It would seem to me that if a resident was struggling due to any number of issues aside from/in addition to incompetence, it would not be unreasonable to determine that a transfer to another program was more appropriate than trying to remediate, place on probation, etc... until a PD is forced to terminate because he no longer has any other direction to go. This would benefit not only the resident but the PD, as the sequence of arduous disciplinary actions might have been avoided by exploring the option of transfer earlier.

9) Yet again, it is inappropriate to make the conjecture that all physicians who fail to finish their residency program and/or go before the medical board are incompetent and/or detrimental to public safety. The point that I was trying to make was that the adverse implications of the onerous process involved when going before the medical board has for a former resident physician that cannot find employment unless issued a medical license are substantially greater than for a physician that is actively working. Understandably, a medical board would be unlikely to give preferential treatment to an applicant for a medical license in this position. Yet, it is difficult to understand the damage that refusing to explore the possibility of transfer early on can have if you are unaware of these unforeseen consequences. I am not suggesting that PDs have any responsibility to explore this, but I believe that many PDs are genuinely trying to help residents that are struggling and going through the sequential disciplinary processes until termination may not be the optimal way of proceeding.

10) I made no indication that I am the only person who can "comprehend this stuff." I suggested that it is impossible to comprehend the impact that not being eligible for/having board-certification has unless you have personally been through it, which many people (myself included) have had to face. I'm not sure who "people on the other side of the table" refers to in this case. Feel free to clarify.

11) I live in Missouri. I don't expect everyone who fails to complete their residency to move to MO to provide "only primary care services and only in medically underserved rural or urban areas of this state or in any pilot project areas established in which assistant physicians may practice." (Missouri Revisor of Statutes - Revised Statutes of Missouri, RSMo, Missouri Law, MO Law, Joint Committee on Legislative Research)

12) Please identify how I insulted you with a "barrage of names while misquoting" you when I confronted you for ending your suggestion that a physician could get hospital privileges without being board eligible with the rhetorical and flippant comment "if your mom went to urgent care for any reason, would you want her doctor there to be someone who was not allowed to complete residency because he was clinically incompetent." This is objectively a conjecture that physicians ineligible for board certification were not allowed to complete residency because of clinical incompetency. Your statements are directed at all physicians in this scenario, not just the OP.

13) If you know of someone else who has reviewed 164 of these cases over the last 50 years, please have them to contact me. Until you know the facts of every situation, please refrain from attacking people that you know nothing about. It undermines your credibility and reflects poorly on the medical community.

Maybe try responding to posts that were actually written rather than nonsense? I never made generalizations about everyone nor did I say that every case is the same. But I have read every one of this particular poster's threads and based just on what he says, I can see why he was terminated. That is my opinion and I am allowed to it (talk about unwilling to see other sides by the way). You seem to be so wrapped up in being the hero to every terminated resident that you fail to recognize some terminations are 100% warranted. I have no idea how many you or anyone else has reviewed (especially since you jsut finished telling me about these non-disparagement agreements, which by the way are not included in court documents), but your review of these court documents doesn't make your posts on this topic any more appropriate. If you want people to listen to what you're saying, maybe say it without the insults. Even your (non) apology was an insult from an entitled poster who wants to blame the world for his own issues. That's my last word on the topic. It's not worth the energy going back and forth with someone so astonishingly (and arrogantly) dismissive of anyone and everyone who has a different perspective.

Reactions: 5 users
That’s a miscited quote actually. Mark Twain supposedly said something like “don’t argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” But it’s not verifiable. The quote you cited is often attributed to Greg King, but again not very verifiable. They all seem to be derived from Proverbs 26:4:
Well, I remembered the quote posted elsewhere, so googled to see who said it ( since it wasn’t me !) to give credit…but it spoke to me!
Thanks for the clarification!

• Love
What makes you think there was no remediation?
They probably were really trying to help him fix the problems , until it was realized that the problem was he didn’t have the appropriate clinical judgement…I’m all for supporting those physicians and not increasing mid level encroachment… but I’m not for unqualified physician being passed through just because they completed Med school… we have to be held to a high standard…it’s not a thin blue line here…physicians that can’t manage pt are dangerous and getting a medical license should not be rubber stamped.
Unfortunately, the only "remediation" I got was from the efforts of very good PGY4s. While good, they were still trainees. No faculty input or formal remediation plans from the PD or anyone who already completed their training. Some of the faculty members remarked that I was "left to flounder" when they learned I was non-renewed.

Wait, the OP was terminated for incompetence and your position is that the PD is the one who's incompetent? What?
Think of it this way. Residency is a training program. We, the residents, are trainees. The residency program is composed of trainers. It is these trainers whose responsibility it is to train the trainees, in particular the PD. This is a job for which someone may be competent or incompetent. As I mentioned above, there was never any formal remediation plan laid out by the PD or any faculty members, just some things thrown together by very good trainees. Now, would proper remediation have worked if it had been put together by competent people? I don't know as I never had any proper remediation. If a PD does not organize (or doesn't know how to organize) a proper remediation plan, they are an incompetent PD. There were a lot of issues with clinical education in my residency as it was relatively new, but unfortunately neither the PD nor the program have any accountability for resident education (this is usually the case in residencies from what I can gather).

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Actually, it’s not…there are states that give a full UN restricted license with only one year of training…it is no different than the full license given to someone who completes a residency…and with a unrestricted license, they can apply for privileges anywhere.
Apply for, but almost never receive. AFAIK if you aren't BE/BC you can't be reimbursed by Medicare which is a huge burden for hospitals so won't get privileges.

Think of it this way. Residency is a training program. We, the residents, are trainees. The residency program is composed of trainers. It is these trainers whose responsibility it is to train the trainees, in particular the PD. This is a job for which someone may be competent or incompetent. As I mentioned above, there was never any formal remediation plan laid out by the PD or any faculty members, just some things thrown together by very good trainees. Now, would proper remediation have worked if it had been put together by competent people? I don't know as I never had any proper remediation. If a PD does not organize (or doesn't know how to organize) a proper remediation plan, they are an incompetent PD. There were a lot of issues with clinical education in my residency as it was relatively new, but unfortunately neither the PD nor the program have any accountability for resident education (this is usually the case in residencies from what I can gather).

Believe me, I don't tend to defend the programs in situations like yours either, but for other reasons. I have been following your journey because I do think it's a tragedy that someone makes their way through med school and starts residency and doesn't get to finish. But I'm also big on personal responsibility and what you (or any resident) could have done different. I have liked/loved your posts in the past along this journey because despite going through what I'm sure was a devastating process, you did an excellent job of recounting what happened, taking responsibility, but also telling us that you were complimented by your program for your positive response to response and criticism and changing how you were doing things. But some of the things you listed that landed you in trouble in the first place may have just been too much to overcome in your specialty of choice. Regardless I hope you work this out with the board (maybe they'd go for a period of supervision/limitation on your license with deal for a full license after?) and find your way to occupational medicine eventually.

Believe me, I don't tend to defend the programs in situations like yours either, but for other reasons. I have been following your journey because I do think it's a tragedy that someone makes their way through med school and starts residency and doesn't get to finish. But I'm also big on personal responsibility and what you (or any resident) could have done different. I have liked/loved your posts in the past along this journey because despite going through what I'm sure was a devastating process, you did an excellent job of recounting what happened, taking responsibility, but also telling us that you were complimented by your program for your positive response to response and criticism and changing how you were doing things. But some of the things you listed that landed you in trouble in the first place may have just been too much to overcome in your specialty of choice. Regardless I hope you work this out with the board (maybe they'd go for a period of supervision/limitation on your license with deal for a full license after?) and find your way to occupational medicine eventually.
That would not fly with me for 2 reasons.
1. Even the simplest physician jobs such as doing H&Ps for medicare patients through SignifyHealth require an unrestricted license. Urgent care jobs that don't need board eligibility are hard to come by, let alone be hired for. There wouldn't be anything to supervise because this license would be totally useless.
2. Having any license with restrictions makes you ineligible for training certificates in some states and complicates getting them in others. Even being under investigation makes you ineligible. Worst of all, I can't even withdraw the application without the board's approval, so even if I get an Occ Med residency the board could screw my chances of getting a training certificate and leave me without a job and without a new residency.

Reactions: 3 users
@IonClaws , any updates?
Board wants 3 different places to send records and needs new releases notarized (despite these already having notarized releases for over 4 months already). Did a psych assessment a week and a half ago at the board's request.

Getting tired of the clumsiness of the board...

• Angry
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users