Nevada medical board training license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eschneck

Reaction score
Has anyone here had to appear before a medical board before receiving a graduate training license? I was terminated from my previous family medicine residency position for health reasons. I hired an attorney who said this was illegal, and he helped me with the appeal where they upheld the termination for medical reasons. I filed a complaint with the equal employment and opportunity coalition.

Long story short, I matched into a fantastic family medicine residency in Las Vegas. I disclosed everything on my ERAS application and was very upfront and honest with my program director during the interview. The medical board does not meet until September. My program director said my position is safe.

I am hiring a local attorney in Nevada. I guess what I am asking is if anyone out there has had a similar situation. I know the odds of matching after being terminated are low, and somehow, I pulled it off. I feel mentally exhausted and tired of hiring attorneys and fighting.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 user
Just to clarify, are you saying that you have heard from the medical board already that you are required to appear the board or are just worried that you might have to?

Just to clarify, are you saying that you have heard from the medical board already that you are required to appear the board or are just worried that you might have to?
I was informed that I am required to appear before the board

Interesting case. Glad to hear it seems like you're getting a fresh start.

Do you have a temporary training license or is this pending your meeting with the medical board? I'm don't think you can legally start your program in Nevada unless you have it. Your spot may be secured, but what has your program actually said about you working?

In my experience, medical boards typically meet once a month to review applications and disciplinary cases. Have you reached out to them directly to potentially expedite a training license?

How did you find out you have to appear before the board? Did the residency program tell you? Normally they are the one's who handle obtaining that license for incoming interns. If a residency program has deemed you worthy of starting over, I'm not sure why the board would require you to make an appearance and explain yourself. You would think they'd leave that vetting process to the PD.

I had this happen once to a resident of mine. A board review like this is sometimes triggered by administrative staff -- being trerminated from a residency program for any reason, for example. It's impossible to know if someone on the board is really concerned, or this is pro-forma. You should definitely take it seriously. Is this for a full license, or a training license? What I did is go with the resident to the board meeting - no idea what the outcome would have been otherwise, but I clearly delineated that we would be closely monitoring the resident's work, and it sailed through.

Reactions: 2 users
You're a good guy. I hope your residents appreciate you.
I have met @NotAProgDirector, and some of his (now long former) residents, and they absolutely do.

One of the absolute best PDs I met on the interview trail. Damn near drew me to the frozen tundra by sheer virtue of personality.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users