General Admissions & OTCAS Meeting OT Requirements amidst this pandemic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sabyu

Reaction score
Hello,

I am an upcoming senior graduating May 2021 and I was planning on applying to OT school soon in order to start right away after I graduate. I know some applications open this summer but a lot of places have halted accepting volunteers over the summer due to the pandemic. I have started volunteering during the school semester but since the semester was cut short, I am nowhere near an appropriate amount of hours that most programs require. I might end up having to take a gap year to meet all the requirements even though that is something I really didn't want to do due to personal reasons. Do you think there is a sort of leeway due to the pandemic or am I most likely going to have to take a gap year? Is anyone else going through a similar problem? I'd appreciate any insight or help thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat! I'm taking a gap year because my grades aren't good enough to apply yet. I know Georgia State is giving applicants an alternative to volunteer/shadowing hours by writing mini-essays. I would say there is some leeway due to the pandemic which I have definitely thought about. Also, there will most likely be fewer applicants but it's a tough call.

I'm curious as well! I'm looking into volunteering remotely in some organizations to at least present that I am eagerly helping especially in such a dire time. Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious as well! I'm looking into volunteering remotely in some organizations to at least present that I am eagerly helping especially in such a dire time. Anyone else?

That's a great idea! How are you finding places that offer remote volunteering? Are you just contacting local OT places and asking? Thanks!

I think most schools are pretty understanding during this time. I would say don't be shy and reach out to OTs via email if possible. So like lets say you are interested in a hand therapy clinic, email the OT and see if how they are doing their session right now. Perhaps they are doing telehealth and you can tag in a zoom meeting.

Another thing to look into is emailing university professors (OTD/PhDs). Perhaps learn about their research and see if you can help/ volunteer with them on projects and earn your hours that way. I know most are really busy, but you never know if there is an opportunity unless you reach out. I know when I was in my undergrad, I earned lots of hours shadowing a OT at a robotics lab during clinical trials. Though it was awhile back, I was able to use that experience on my personal statements.

Or perhaps take a gap year and see if this outbreak subsides if you feel that this will significantly lower your chances of getting in. If you are able to (financially and having enough time), perhaps try this year and use this as a practice run. I know for me personally, though first time I didn't get into any schools, it provided me with more experience the second time, which went a lot easier.

Let me know if you have any questions. I hope this helped. :)