Meet with program director?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bays

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm a third year who is just starting to test the med/peds water. Thought I wanted to do IM but I am quickly realizing med/peds is where it's at ;)

I'm planning a couple trips to see family in the coming months, and I was thinking of contacting program directors in the cities I'm visiting. Two of these out of state programs are really high on my list, and I want to show my interest and get a feel for the residency and hospital. Hopefully also find out if I even stand a chance at matching...?

Since I'm somewhat clueless as to the social politics of hospitals and residency programs... do you all think this is a good idea? Or does it seem too forward to ask for a meeting in this way? Would it be more appropriate to contact the program coordinator? Chief resident? Chair of department?? (See, I'm really clueless...)

Appreciate any and all advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It's great that you're interested in medpeds! I don't know which programs you are interested in because there are a couple of really friendly/accessible PDs out there, but the majority of them are super busy with running the program, attending, and advising their own medical students among other things. I would suspect many of them would just thank you for your interest and direct you to their website. You should definitely take a look at the websites because most of them have really good information. If you still want to try to set up a meeting I would definitely email the program coordinator first because PDs get a ton of emails. The PC will let you know if a meeting is possible.

PM me if you have any other questions about apps/interviewing process

Do not try to set up a meeting with the PD, chair, or anyone else. It would be seen as premature and even offensive. I would, however, ask *all* programs you're interested in (via program coordinators) whether they consider DO applicants. Then I would schedule away rotations at the two top (by your criteria) programs that do consider DO applicants - ideally one rotation as an adult subI/elective and the other as a pediatric subI/elective.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice! I'm glad I asked here first :) I have been poring over the program websites and possibly making myself a little crazy. I think the problem is that my hospital doesn't have Med/Peds, so I don't really have a mentor in the field. So I'm trying to decide if I should rotate at some of the less-famous programs where I think I'd have a better shot, or go big and rotate at the places that I'd be REALLY excited about, but would be harder to match. Hence wanting to talk to the program directors o_O That being said, I know there will be some degree of going out on a limb regardless, and that there aren't really "safety" Med/Peds programs!

(I will definitely pm you, chargersfan. Really appreciate it)

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! I'm glad I asked here first :) I have been poring over the program websites and possibly making myself a little crazy. I think the problem is that my hospital doesn't have Med/Peds, so I don't really have a mentor in the field. And while most of the programs I've looked at have taken D.O.s in the past, I have no idea whether all those D.O.s were superstars with 250+ scores and publications in NEJM... haha. So I'm trying to decide if I should rotate at some of the less-famous programs where I think I'd have a better shot, or go big and rotate at the places that I'd be REALLY excited about, but would be harder to match. Hence wanting to talk to the program directors o_O That being said, I know there will be some degree of going out on a limb regardless, and that there aren't really "safety" Med/Peds programs!

(I will definitely pm you, chargersfan. Really appreciate it)

I think you should shoot for the stars, but only if you have a non-zero chance. If a program does not take ANY D.O.s, I would not do an away there. If you identify any programs that do take D.O.s (and you can check the websites), then I would try to do aways at the best programs you can identify.

I don't think it's wise to try to blow away people on an away rotation at a program that has never taken D.O.s. It's hard to be so impressive clinically that administrators get over their hangups/snobbery regarding D.O.s.

I'm going to disagree somewhat with what has been said here. I think if you approach reaching out to PDs as "Hey, I'm interested in Med-Peds, from a med school with no Med-Peds docs, from your area, and looking for some people who could give me some more information and guidance about the field", it might not be a terrible idea to reach out to them. You're going to need people who can help guide you on where to apply, etc. While the PD themselves may be too busy to do it, they may point you toward someone who may be able to help you (and I would probably acknowledge that). Or perhaps you could just ask the program coordinators for that same info. In general, the Med-Peds folks I know are very helpful and are consistently trying to increase visibility of the field, so I would be surprised if reaching out was viewed in a negative way. Maybe wouldn't reach out to say, the Boston programs, but most programs are going to be somewhat helpful. And if they're not, then you don't want to be their friend anyways :)

Also, for the away thing: it might not be a terrible idea to do one "reach" away (early, before letters are due) and one realistic away. If you can manage to make a good impression and get a strong letter from a "reach" program, it might help you out with others. A good compromise here is Baystate: very well respected PDs in the Med-Peds world, very well-known among Med-Peds folks, but they take DOs (I think, at least I know the categorical programs do). Just a thought, others may disagree here.

Also, recognize that just because a program doesn't have any DOs listed doesn't mean they don't take them (it might have just been awhile, OR just because there aren't any doesn't mean that place is a "snob"). I saw a few DOs interviewing at places where there were no DOs on the roster currently.

Great, thank you! That was exactly the type of email I was planning on sending. I might give it a shot at a couple of programs that have listed emails such as "[email protected]" :p Not trying to pester the PDs to give me an unofficial interview pre-application... but just looking for a little guidance!

I think I'm going to follow your advice and set up a rotation at a well-regarded program (hopefully within "reach") for July or August. Now, when to squeeze in my step 2?!? If I took USMLE and did pretty decently on step 1, will most programs want to see step 2 score before they schedule an interview? Or do I have a little time as long as I complete it within the next year?

You guys are great. Perfect antidote to my mild neurosis :p

3rd year DO here as well applying med-peds this fall. I am doing an audition rotation at my top-choice place in August and part of that rotation includes a meeting with the program director. So even if you don't stop in to meet him or her during a visit in the town, you can certainly try to do it while you're there on an away rotation. That may be better anyways than trying to squeeze one in while you're just "passing through." Not sure though.

Just thought I'd give a little update, in case it helps anyone else in my shoes. I decided not to email any PDs directly, but instead contacted PCs of some of the programs I'm interested in. I wrote something along the lines of... "I'm really interested in your program, and am hoping to apply for a rotation once VSAS opens. In the meantime, do you have any journal clubs/grand rounds/clinic days that students can attend?" I figured that was an easier way to put myself on their radar and get some exposure to the programs...

I've gotten pretty good responses, and a number of the PCs forwarded my email to the PD. If I were to do it again, though, I'd wait until after Match Day when they're a little less busy :)

Good luck with Match, all you fourth years! :thumbup: