Medicine boards...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kathy10

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if we are supposed to take medicine boards before we start fellowship? Is it a requirement? I am starting fellowship in July and was not too certain if I should sign up now or just take it next year. Any fellows have any advice on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if we are supposed to take medicine boards before we start fellowship? Is it a requirement? I am starting fellowship in July and was not too certain if I should sign up now or just take it next year. Any fellows have any advice on this?

Short Answer: No

Long Answer: How would that even be possible? You're not eligible to sit for the boards until you complete 36 months of IM training which will presumably end on June 30. You will then start fellowship on July 1. ABIM offers the boards in August. That's unpossible. Your fellowship may require that you take the IM boards by some point in your training but I doubt it. I took mine the last year of my fellowship and nobody cared.

In my fellowship we were required to take the medicine boards our first year, but I'm not sure how common this is.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my fellowship we were required to take the medicine boards our first year, but I'm not sure how common this is.

I'm not sure either but I don't doubt there are places that require it. But if they do...I imagine they tell you at some point.

I also don't suggest my approach (waiting until the end of fellowship) simply because I had to re-learn a bunch of stuff that I don't deal with on a regular basis.

I think the best time is during your 2nd year of fellowship, especially if you're in a fellowship that has a more intense first clinical year and more "research" time later. I pity the first year Cards or GI fellow who has to also study for the boards.

My GI program did not require taking Medicine Boards a certain year... As a GI fellow I will say, Internal Medicine knowledge slowly falls from your memory by the day. You can try to fight it, but it happens to everyone. Get the ABIM out of the way. You will never be as strong in internal medicine as you are when you finish your residency; maybe going into other subspecialties, but not GI.

Another point, you need to have passed IM boards prior to sitting for the ABIM GI boards. God forbid you do not pass the ABIM after waiting until your 3rd year; you will not be able to sit for GI boards for another 2 years (have to wait a year to re-take ABIM). Just get them done. Your first few months in GI are basically just learning your way around the hospital, how to hold a scope, and call is light.

Just my humble opinion though.