Medicare Reimbursements--a rehash--and need some help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sophiejane

Exhausted
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK peeps, I know we've had the discussion and I did look at the thread again, but I need some help from some of you who are more internet-saavy and patient than I am (not to mention I don't have wireless where I am staying right now so I'm freezing my hiney off in the local Starbuck's listening to bad music)...

Anyway, here's what was in my mailbox today:

Student Doctors,

Do you like getting paid for the work that you do? How about NOT getting paid for the work that you do?

Congress (and the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services) is currently cooking up a beauty that will cut (by 5% in 2007) the amount of money that physicians are reimbursed to treat Medicare and Medicaid patients. These cuts are projected to continue over the next 9 years (do any of you plan on practicing within the next 9 years?) for a grand total estimate of 37% in cuts. At the same time, practice expenses are expected to rise by 2-3% each year.

While we are all very busy, please take two minutes to send an e-mail to your Senators and members of Congress urging them to take action on this important issue. Go to the D.O. Advocacy Action Center and enter your zip code, and send an e-mail to them. Imagine the impact this could have if just our classmates acted…we are over 13,000 voices strong!

It is our responsibility to impact how we want to practice medicine…not just complain about it when we get out there and it isn't what we want to see.

Thanks, and good luck!

Help me help my schoolmates understand what it going on with Medicare reimbursements. Are they really going up in primary care? Can anyone give me a simple link that explains it (I know, simple+government=oxymoron)?

My guess is that 5% is the average...is primary care taking a 5% cut, too?

It makes me mad that we are being led to believe that writing letters against the proposed Medicare changes is a good thing--because as I understand it, we WANT these changes in FM!

Help...???

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Family medicine essentially breaks even this year; the across-the-board cut is balanced by updated RVUs for E&M services. This is only temporary. Cuts will continue each year unless the government changes the way Medicare payments are calculated. Refer to this recent article for more info.

Here is a link to the list of companies that helped primary care docs keep their rates despite the cuts.

I didn't know General Motors was a company with some heart.... I stand correct GM. :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you anticipate the new democratic congress not to pass this next year?

This is a headache... those two parties cant agree on anything.:thumbdown: The sad part is... the majority of congress/senate did not really change... just a small percentage of them... enough to swing from republican to democrat... while that does matter politically for large issues... for smaller issues that everyone agrees on, it shouldn't matter...

Yet.. smaller issues are used as a bargaining tool... ridiculous... things will never move along as long as Parties can lump issues together to approve them... Issues should be itemized... they are basically avoiding a debate over things that need to be debated by using minor issues like RVU of primary care to bargain for larger issues.

Do you anticipate the new democratic congress not to pass this next year?

This is a headache... those two parties cant agree on anything.:thumbdown: The sad part is... the majority of congress/senate did not really change... just a small percentage of them... enough to swing from republican to democrat... while that does matter politically for large issues... for smaller issues that everyone agrees on, it shouldn't matter...

Yet.. smaller issues are used as a bargaining tool... ridiculous... things will never move along as long as Parties can lump issues together to approve them... Issues should be itemized... they are basically avoiding a debate over things that need to be debated by using minor issues like RVU of primary care to bargain for larger issues.

H.R. 2356, the Preserving Patient Access to Physician Act, repeals the current Sustainable Growth Rate formula built into medicare that is responsible for determining physician reimbursement (or lack thereof) at current rates. The bill was introduced by Clay Shaw, whom was defeated this November. I don't think this bodes well for us.

I would encourage everyone to write their congressional representatives in support of this bill.