Medical Student - How to do Residency in US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anna123

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of giving GRE, apply for Research and come to US and then give USMLE. Is this possible? Is there any other way?
Please suggest.

Members don't see this ad.

hi anna,
who told you you need to do the GRE?
as far as i know you need to take all steps of usmle,get certified,and apply for residency...possible even thru` ERAS if you r not in the States.
is the GRE neccessary?

No to do USMLE you do not need GRE, but what I am thinking is I get into non-medical field ie Reasearch field, by writing GRE ( Otherwise you dont get Visa, if you want to come direclty to do Residency) come to US and while doing my Research I am thinking of taking USMLE? Is this allowed? Please give me some direction? I have no clue as to how to go about it?

Most people just get their ECFMG cetificate and apply for residencies. The GRE / research is nice but takes time and effort and how will it help you get a residency? No matter what visa you get for your research it doesn't transfer over to residency. You'll need J-1 or H1-B and the fact that you are or not doing research will not help or hurt you in any when when applying for these visas. If you're from india a big percentage of your med school class are probably on their way here, I don't think too many of them are taking the GRE as some sort of prerequisite for residency search