Medical Student as Reader for research study.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shepardcommander1

Reaction score
Hello,

Was just wondering what the stigma was against medical students being one of the readers for a study. For example, X.X, Y.Y, Z.Z (medical student with experience in XXXX, other readers) were involved in reading the images. X.X (medical student) first identified the enlarged nodes, which were independently verified by two other radiologists.

Is this methodology completely unacceptable for a potential journal publication, and if so should I just remove myself as a reader?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Was just wondering what the stigma was against medical students being one of the readers for a study. For example, X.X, Y.Y, Z.Z (medical student with experience in XXXX, other readers) were involved in reading the images. X.X (medical student) first identified the enlarged nodes, which were independently verified by two other radiologists.

Is this methodology completely unacceptable for a potential journal publication, and if so should I just remove myself as a reader?

Thank you

in all the rad studies I’ve been in the readers are radiologists. Unless you are studying specifically the accuracy of medical student read I would remove yourself as a reader.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Thank you
This methodology is not going to fly. I'm interested in knowing what you are reading/reviewing?

Not saying a med student can't be trained to identify and measure axillary lymph nodes or thyroid nodules but it will raise eyebrows and likely be immediately shot down before the paper is reviewed. I would wonder why a resident, fellow, or other attending wasn't doing it.

It certainly raises eyebrows but does not mean an auto-reject. I have seen published papers where tumor segmentation was done by a medical student and checked by a radiologist. It comes down to how complex the task is and what it means for the radiologist to check it.

yea if you can get out of doing that grunt work, it's probably better for you
yeahhhh... about that... I kinda already wrote the manuscript and already submitting to the journal radiology and it got insta rejected (expected this, tho it did happen quick, within 24 hrs, like an any% speedrun). just want to know how I should go about it for our upcoming submissions

yeahhhh... about that... I kinda already wrote the manuscript and already submitting to the journal radiology and it got insta rejected (expected this, tho it did happen quick, within 24 hrs, like an any% speedrun). just want to know how I should go about it for our upcoming submissions
You don't know it's because the medical student reader part (unless they said this with the desk reject, which I doubt they did). If what's done is done, just state it plainly in the methods and don't draw attention to it by using too many words, and shop it elsewhere.

So what were you measuring or looking at? How many other people were readers and what was there level?

Although somewhat disingenuous you could ask an Attending to check your work then ask if you can list them as the reader.