Applying to radiology as a Canadian MD from another specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

border222

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've ultimately decided to bite the bullet and apply to radiology in the USA.
I have completed step 1 ( >260) with step 2 CS and CK coming up in a few weeks, and after that I will take step 3. What else would I need, in general, for my application to be competitive and complete? Your help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I think you will be more than fine, granted you don't fall off dramatically in step 2, which I can't see you doing if you scored 260 in step 1. Scores seem to matter a lot in Radiology, as well as, well-rounded letters. I am a Canadian in the US, who matched into radiology from internal medicine. Decided to switch out my first year of IM and applied through ERAS. Ended up w/ 10+ interviews w/o any radiology rotations or letters from radiologists. I did have very good letters from my PD, 2 surgeons and a neurology head. My scores were between 255-260 for Step1/2. Your biggest concern should be obtaining a statement of need from Health Canada. If you are a Category B applicant, beware, this year there were only 10 available (and I believe some could not obtain one; its first come first serve basis). Other things you can do to help your application is to find radiology residents/attendings to help with research/case reports. You don't necessarily have to publish by application season; showing interested and being actively involved will come across as being genuinely interested in the field and goes a long way in itself. Most importantly, kill your step 2! If you can do a rotation and get a radiologist LOR, that should further help your chances (but don't be discouraged if you don't have one). PM me with any questions.