Medical Schools in Africa. - Ghana as a case study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted29780

About African Medical Schools - Ghana
1) Do African schools accept international students?
2) a brief overview of the structure of African schools (number of years, etc )
3) pros/cons of your med school
4) overall evaluation (would you recommend it to someone else?)
5) future outlook on practicing in Ghana/Africa? (i know, vague one)

questions by LEORL

Answers.
1.) yes int students are accepted in ugms. the school however does not accept transfers into the main clinical program. to enter the clinical prog you should have completed the schools 2 year basic science and paraclinical prog.
2.) 7 years schooling in total. 2 years premed, basically learning the biological sciences. 2 out of the 5 years in med sch are used in teaching the basic and paraclinical sciences. 3 years in clinical rotations
3.)pros - we are trained to fit anywhere in the world :laugh: the only problem is, i think our system is a little bit more stressful than most other schools. that i am sure about. :D
4) well would, that is if you wouldn't mind parting with 8000 dollars a year. ( kinda cheap for med education right?)
5) no, you are wrong. i plan on joining the west african college of surgeons. my chances of pursuing my dream as a cardio surgeon would be more than fulfilled in ghana, not the us.

Members don't see this ad.

5) no, you are wrong. i plan on joining the west african college of surgeons. my chances of pursuing my dream as a cardio surgeon would be more than fulfilled in ghana, not the us.

Akuffo

Can you explain how the West AFrican College of Surgeons operates???

Right from Medical School, are you enrolled or you have to work for the gov't more years after the housemanship?

DO you have an idea of the number of spots for the different specialities?

and how is the Medical Residency system in Ghana????

Cheers

Members don't see this ad :)
well, the house job in ghana used to be a year - as it is in most countries. But due to reasons known to the govt and the medical association, the house job is now 2 years. I only see this as a blessing, cos we have more than enough time to experience more clinical cases.

this site would explain the college of surgeons better. http://www.wacs-coac.org/facult.htm thank u :thumbup:

Tnaks for the WACS site

Wow you mean that now the Housemanship is 2 years??? SInce when???

Does that mean 4 years BscMEd Sci plus 3 years MbChB plus 2 years Housemanhip to get your degree...totalling 9 years???
Personally I think it is waste of time and waste of money by the govt. The first 2 years at Legon are unnecessary IMHO.

I heard that there was a proposal to reduce it to 6 years instead of 7 years. When does that start??? and what happened to the proposal of a 4 years High Scool. Has it taken off???

Well 2 years as a Houseman is cool but they shd take off the first 2 years otherwise it isn't meaningful(9 years to graduate).

Actually, they have reduced it to one year pre-med. Just started with last years group, so what they did was they took half from the current level 200 hundred group and hafl from the level 100 group and now they're calling MBII level 200, and every level moves backwards and so forth.

How much does a Junior Doctor earn in Ghana...right after graduation???

A lot has changed now. Med school in Ghana is now of 6 yr duration, then 2 yr housemanship. A junior doctor now earns about $2000 a month which is a lot here. U also get accomodation. Med schl is now hard for ghanaians to get in (must complete high schl with at least 6 of 8 A's). Its however easier for international since you pay more. About $8000 a yr including accomodation, feeding and all other expenses.

A lot has changed now. Med school in Ghana is now of 6 yr duration, then 2 yr housemanship. A junior doctor now earns about $2000 a month which is a lot here. U also get accomodation. Med schl is now hard for ghanaians to get in (must complete high schl with at least 6 of 8 A's). Its however easier for international since you pay more. About $8000 a yr including accomodation, feeding and all other expenses.

Are you sure about the earnings. About $2000 would translate into almost 4000 Ghana cedis. That is not too bad. It is in dollars or cedis.

Hey. Which university is less strickt with international students? I read that Cape Coast is $15'000.00 per year for international students and is the most expensive, how strickt are they?? I would love to study in Ghana. Please help.