Post Graduation in South Africa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Pooja

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello respected forum members,

Hi I am a 1st year medical student(MBBS) in India.I would like to know
about the post graduate programs in South
Africa?
Do I have to give any exam before joining?
Are postgraduate students paid there or I will have to pay fees for my postgraduate studies?
How i have to proceed in case?

What is
the duration of postgraduate studies there?
And how much will it cost me for studies and living?
And then how can I practice medicine there?
And how many years I have to live there to get
South African citizenship or what I have to do to get
South African citizenship? please help me. thanks :)

I really want to settle and live in South Africa forever permanently,so please tell me how can I get SA citizenship and be a doctor of SA?

And please I want to settle in Cape Town.
Please help me out.Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

South africa? I dont think about that you can taking any answer,
I can help you for turkey

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, final year med student from SA here. You will need to contact the HPCSA (Health Professionals Council of SA) closer to your graduation for specific details, but at this stage, you will probably have to re-do your final year at one of the SA med schools (it's all practical rotations) and then pass the same final year exams. This all depends on whether you have completed internship/community service. There is a small chance that you will be accepted without having to re-do final year simply because we also do MBBS (but we style it as MB.ChB).

Things change all the time so as I said you will need to contact the HPCSA closer to your time of completion.

Post-Grad posts are paid, but essentially you need to find employment first before you can apply to be in a post-grad post. It's very confusing. You can either do your post-grad through a university (M.Med) or you can do it through Royal College. Most post-grad programs are four years but it depends on which specialty you are going into.

Medical Officer posts are extremely competitive, especially in Cape Town. Cape Town also first accepts their students on the government-funded scholarships for MO posts before any others. But it is not impossible to get a post in Cape Town... though I would suggest widening your net.

I wish you luck. I feel like I should warn you that you might find it a difficult journey. Many companies like Africa Health Placements (that place foreign docs in South Africa) will not place doctors from countries like India, Brazil, etc, because those countries have the same shortage of doctors that we do and they do not want to "steal" from the countries.

Best wishes to you!

Hi respected forum members,
I graduated (GP) from Russian medical university recently... I would like to work and do PG in SA. I need to know more details/procedures about this .... so anyone help me to find out this...

thank you ..