Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstart108

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I am a Canadian citizen, born in Canada but I attend an American college for undergraduate, will it make it harder for me to apply to American medical schools? I understand I will have to pay the full tuition fee, but do some schools not consider Canadians even if they are at an american college? Also, is it considered a disadvantage to be Canadian when applying to American medical schools. My current concern is if I go to an American 4 year college, graduate with a lot of debt and can't get into medical school i will be in a pickle. I already know that going to an American college and applying to a Canadian medical school is incredibly tough so I would likely rely on going to an American medical school if I go to an American 4 year college.

Members don't see this ad.

1) If I am a Canadian citizen, born in Canada but I attend an American college for undergraduate, will it make it harder for me to apply to American medical schools?
2) I understand I will have to pay the full tuition fee, but do some schools not consider Canadians even if they are at an american college?
3) Also, is it considered a disadvantage to be Canadian when applying to American medical schools. My current concern is if I go to an American 4 year college, graduate with a lot of debt and can't get into medical school i will be in a pickle.
4) I already know that going to an American college and applying to a Canadian medical school is incredibly tough so I would likely rely on going to an American medical school if I go to an American 4 year college.
1) Yes, unless you get permanent residency status in the US or become a citizen.

2) Yes. Some US schools do not take international students even if they attend a US college.

3) Yes. AAMC statistics show that Canadian acceptees to US schools have higher average stats than American acceptees.

4) Even Americans going to US undergrad schools can't rely on getting into a US med school. Only about 50% of applicants are successful.

Gaining acceptance to a US medical school as an international student is tough. (See: https://www.aamc.org/download/159534/data/table4.pdf).

Your efforts may be worthwhile if you're thinking about attending a prestigious American college. If not, then it sounds as if you stand to benefit most from attending university in Canada and applying to both Canadian and American medical schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
don't go to US college for undergrad from Canada unless it's ivy league.

it's a waste of money.

plus harder to go to any medical school since you need to have >3.9gpa to get into a Canadian med school

I was just wondering what my chances are looking like if I was to apply this upcoming September with a GPA (best two years) of 3.88? That is the GPA using exactly what it says on my transcript, I'm not sure if you are supposed to take into account EACH LETTER GRADE to come up with your actual GPA? If that is the case I think I would fall to around 3.785-3.795. I haven't yet written my MCAT, however, I'm just really hoping they look at the full year actual GPA and not break it down grade-by-grade.

I was just wondering what my chances are looking like if I was to apply this upcoming September with a GPA (best two years) of 3.88? That is the GPA using exactly what it says on my transcript, I'm not sure if you are supposed to take into account EACH LETTER GRADE to come up with your actual GPA? If that is the case I think I would fall to around 3.785-3.795. I haven't yet written my MCAT, however, I'm just really hoping they look at the full year actual GPA and not break it down grade-by-grade.
Each grade is converted according to AMCAS rules and then recalculated into your application GPAs.

AMCAS grade conversion guide: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181676/data/amcas_grade_conversion_guide.pdf

AMCAS GPA calculator: a modifiable version/also calc BCPM:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=590424