Medical School in Europe with Goal of Becoming European.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xenops

I'm also a girl
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have some other agenda, you may want to start another thread, clearly listing your objectives, conditions and your paricular question. We are now in a thread about working conditions in Germany, but this discussion goes in a completely different direction.

So I begin a new thread.

Goal: to attend a medical school in Europe and, eventually, work in Europe as a medical doctor and to earn European citizenship. I’m not dead set on any particular country. I’m not inclined to work or live in the U.S. for various reasons (lack of preventative care, giving drugs for every ailment, the power of the insurance companies, little regulation on GMO foods, etc).

I have done previous research on various countries and their medical education systems:

Ireland: Americans can use Atlantic Bridge to streamline the application process. The requirements are a decent GPA and MCAT. The med school costs rival that of American schools. There are no or few residency/training positions for non-Irish.

UK: Americans take the BMAT. The costs of medical school rival that of American schools. Unknown status of available residency spots for non-EU medical students. The medical system is underfunded and the waiting time for patients is long.

France: Students are required to be proficient in French. The entrance for the first year of medical school is easy, but continuing the studies requires the students to score in the highest 10% of the class. A second big test determines the specialty (surgeon, family practitioner, dentist, etc) The government heavily subsidizes the medical school costs. Mostly favorable news of the medical system. Unknown training availability for non-EU students.

Czech Republic There are Czech-programs and English programs. The English programs fund the universities, and foreign students are given preferential treatment. The Czech students live in a hostile environment. Students in the English program don’t speak Czech, and jeopardize the patients. Has a poor medical system that devalues medical professionals. Unknown costs to foreign students. Unknown training availability for non-EU students.

Germany: Medical school costs heavily subsidized by the government. Knowledge of German is obligatory. Entrance is easier than most. Advanced medical system, but doctors do not get good recompensation and poor working conditions. Students easily enter residency of choice and get training.

Italy: Has recently opened programs for English speakers. Since it is a Catholic country, no access to cadavers for learning. Medical school costs are reasonable. Entrance with visas and paperwork is difficult. Poor job market in general. Unknown status of medical system. Non-Italian students jeopardize patients. Unknown training availability for non-EU students.

Sweden: Knowledge of Swedish is obligatory. Unknown costs of medical school or difficulty of entrance requirements. Unknown availability of training spots for non-EU students.

Norway
Knowledge of Norwegian obligatory. Unknown costs of medical school or difficulty of entrance requirements. Unknown availability of training spots for non-EU students.

Belgium:
In French Belgium, medical school requirements are similar to that of France. In Flanders, requires knowledge of Dutch and scoring top 10-15% of all students on entrance exam. Unknown costs of medical school or difficulty of entrance requirements. Unknown availability of training spots for non-EU students.

Switzerland:
No acceptance of non-EU students into medical school.

Spain:
Recent developments in the medical system have decreased the quality for both the medical professional and the patient.

So, in summary, I’m interested in:

1. medical schools that accept non-EU students
2. Give the student the ability to train and work in said country.
3. Allows the student to eventually gain citizenship
4. Is a country that treats its doctors well
5. Has a high standard of living.

I’m open to learning other languages. I’m currently learning French.

Thank you for your feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the your input. :) Why do you think Germany?

I'm from the U.S.
Germany is best country for foreign students. Because universities are free. Entrance is easy.
German universities are top on international rankings.
Do you speak German?
Why don't you think US universities?
Would you give me information about US university system for foreigners?

Germany is best country for foreign students. Because universities are free. Entrance is easy.
Do you speak German?

1. I'm learning French now, but German is next on my list.
2. American universities are expensive; the average debt once leaving residency/training is $250,000.00 The healthcare system is also unstable.
3. This site would be a good launching spot: http://www.usnews.com/education/blo...ional-students-applying-to-us-medical-schools

Reactions: 1 user
Do you speak German?
Hi!

So I completed 2 years of medical school in the US but recently had to withdraw due to lack of finances. I am not a US citizen so no access to their federal loans that most everyone uses to get through med school in US and my family just doesnt have the kind of money needed. Anyway I can give you some info about US university system. I did undergrad in the US as well. Best thing ever! I got basically a full scholarship (tuition, fees and housing; only had to pay for food). The scholarship at my university - Howard University in Washington DC was based solely on my SAT score and theres no separate application for it. Once you got the score you got the scholarship. Student life: great - felt like a home away from home, everyone was welcoming. Very chill vibe, great nightlife in DC.

On to medical school. Applied to only one because only had money for one application and knew I couldnt afford to travel all over the US for interviews. Got in with a not great MCAT score but I think my high GPA (summa cum laude), great recommendations and well written personal statement and interview made up for it especially since I emphasized that I had only applied to one school and it was the same school i went to undergrad at so it prob helped. Anyway, the education was really good. Hard as Fu...dge! Was a definite reality check in the first week or 2 that this was no joke. Literally study about 10 hours a day on average. not including lecture. Saturdays and Sundays dedicated to studying. I used to have to go to school to study because if I were to stay home i would find any excuse not to study and just lay in bed. So especially summer time on the weekends would look out the window while you're in a room at school studying with other med students and see the undergrads in their shorts, smiling and laughing with their shopping bags having just come from the mall or something and you'd be like 'What is my life right now?' lol. The jealousy was real. But on the positive side the faculty and students at my school were the best. Super helpful. I mean if any one of your classmates saw you struggling they'd be quick to help. Even if they are not doing it out of the goodness of their heart, some can see it as an opportunity to make sure they themselves know the material 100% and are confident enough in the material that they can even teach it or others see it as an opportunity to show off but who cares?! you'd be benefitting from it anyway lol. Also even during the first 2 years which are mainly lecture based, you have interaction with fake patients who pretend to have illnesses and you have to learn the proper ways to examine them etc. the teaching sessions were recorded which you can get the tape of and look back at how dumb or smart you sounded lol and you have exams on this as well where diagnosing and doing all the procedures is up to you. So when you get to the clinicals, you're know some things. Plus its always recommended to shadow attendings during these 2 years which i did, as well as do research with an attending to boost your resume.

Any questions feel free to let me know.

Anyway!
right now, I am heavily interested in medical school in germany but i am a total beginner of the german language. Im trying to get up to C1 by next fall to apply (eeek). But you say entrance is easy? How so? I'm not talking about the language proficiency part, I know I have lots to do to get where I need to be but I was actually under the impression that it is pretty difficult to get in. They have quotas for non-EU admittance etc. So can you tell me a bit more about what you know of the admission process?

thanks!

So I begin a new thread.

Goal: to attend a medical school in Europe and, eventually, work in Europe as a medical doctor and to earn European citizenship. I’m not dead set on any particular country. I’m not inclined to work or live in the U.S. for various reasons (lack of preventative care, giving drugs for every ailment, the power of the insurance companies, little regulation on GMO foods, etc).

I have done previous research on various countries and their medical education systems:

Ireland: Americans can use Atlantic Bridge to streamline the application process. The requirements are a decent GPA and MCAT. The med school costs rival that of American schools. There are no or few residency/training positions for non-Irish.

UK: Americans take the BMAT. The costs of medical school rival that of American schools. Unknown status of available residency spots for non-EU medical students. The medical system is underfunded and the waiting time for patients is long.

France: Students are required to be proficient in French. The entrance for the first year of medical school is easy, but continuing the studies requires the students to score in the highest 10% of the class. A second big test determines the specialty (surgeon, family practitioner, dentist, etc) The government heavily subsidizes the medical school costs. Mostly favorable news of the medical system. Unknown training availability for non-EU students.

Czech Republic There are Czech-programs and English programs. The English programs fund the universities, and foreign students are given preferential treatment. The Czech students live in a hostile environment. Students in the English program don’t speak Czech, and jeopardize the patients. Has a poor medical system that devalues medical professionals. Unknown costs to foreign students. Unknown training availability for non-EU students.

Germany: Medical school costs heavily subsidized by the government. Knowledge of German is obligatory. Entrance is easier than most. Advanced medical system, but doctors do not get good recompensation and poor working conditions. Students easily enter residency of choice and get training.

Italy: Has recently opened programs for English speakers. Since it is a Catholic country, no access to cadavers for learning. Medical school costs are reasonable. Entrance with visas and paperwork is difficult. Poor job market in general. Unknown status of medical system. Non-Italian students jeopardize patients. Unknown training availability for non-EU students.

Sweden: Knowledge of Swedish is obligatory. Unknown costs of medical school or difficulty of entrance requirements. Unknown availability of training spots for non-EU students.

Norway
Knowledge of Norwegian obligatory. Unknown costs of medical school or difficulty of entrance requirements. Unknown availability of training spots for non-EU students.

Belgium:
In French Belgium, medical school requirements are similar to that of France. In Flanders, requires knowledge of Dutch and scoring top 10-15% of all students on entrance exam. Unknown costs of medical school or difficulty of entrance requirements. Unknown availability of training spots for non-EU students.

Switzerland:
No acceptance of non-EU students into medical school.

Spain:
Recent developments in the medical system have decreased the quality for both the medical professional and the patient.

So, in summary, I’m interested in:

1. medical schools that accept non-EU students
2. Give the student the ability to train and work in said country.
3. Allows the student to eventually gain citizenship
4. Is a country that treats its doctors well
5. Has a high standard of living.

I’m open to learning other languages. I’m currently learning French.

Thank you for your feedback!
So, what have you decided to do? I'm thinking either germany or italy