Medical College of Wisconsin class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I would love to live in the third ward or east side. However, if you'll be relying on the med school budget and not getting help from parents or previous savings, it's extremely difficult to live in those areas and still live by yourself. Average 1br rent in third ward starts around $1000 per month. The budget, since it is designed for having a roommate, is only about $1100/mo. I found a place in Tosa for $625/mo incl heat. (LOOK FOR HEAT INCLUDED!!!). Check out the privately owned buildings. Can find good deals and they know who lives in their building so they can comment on your potential neighbors and their lifestyles likely.

Living downtown works if you've got roommates or outside help.

Members don't see this ad.

So this is for everyone already enrolled. Is there anything you all suggest we do/don't do--besides not studying-- before we get there? Oh yeah, and when is the white coat ceremony?

So this is for everyone already enrolled. Is there anything you all suggest we do/don't do--besides not studying-- before we get there? Oh yeah, and when is the white coat ceremony?

Have a great summer.
Bring some old clothes with you to wear in anatomy lab so you won't be tempted to buy scrubs.
Build up a repertoire of fast, cheap meals you can cook to save time and money during school.
Read novels.

Members don't see this ad :)
White Coat ceremony is the last friday of orientation.

Do everything possible to schedule something on that Friday that you cannot get out of. White Coat ceremony = waste of time. Even more useless than graduation. If I could skip graduation, I would. I already attended the white coat ceremony, so there's nothing I can do about those hours being lost. It's at the worst time possible when everyone's tired and moving into apts, etc.

White Coat ceremony is the last friday of orientation.

Do everything possible to schedule something on that Friday that you cannot get out of. White Coat ceremony = waste of time. Even more useless than graduation. If I could skip graduation, I would. I already attended the white coat ceremony, so there's nothing I can do about those hours being lost. It's at the worst time possible when everyone's tired and moving into apts, etc.

LMAO!!!! thanks guys for the heads up. I have already started building a list of cheap food compatible with the Foreman--working as a personal trainer and not living with parents does not afford many trips to Red Lobster :(. With regards to the white coat ceremony, I agree with the sentiments above....especially with those concerning graduation. However, I am afraid we are too late ! Parents, Grandparents, etc. already have their cameras warming up for it :laugh:.

Have a great summer.
Bring some old clothes with you to wear in anatomy lab so you won't be tempted to buy scrubs.
Build up a repertoire of fast, cheap meals you can cook to save time and money during school.
Read novels.

Good advice. :thumbup:

With regards to the white coat ceremony, I agree with the sentiments above....especially with those concerning graduation. However, I am afraid we are too late ! Parents, Grandparents, etc. already have their cameras warming up for it :laugh:.

Yeah, white coat ceremony is more of a family thing. It really is more for the family. I was solo, my family couldn't make it, so it was, eh. Anyways, it wasn't THAT bad. One of the speakers was really good.

Yeah, white coat ceremony is more of a family thing. It really is more for the family. I was solo, my family couldn't make it, so it was, eh. Anyways, it wasn't THAT bad. One of the speakers was really good.
Yeah, I thought mine was decent.

Our speaker wasn't that good, and one of the deans fell asleep on the stage.

I was falling asleep too, but not so much that I didn't notice him.

I should have had him write my dean's letter; who knew we'd have something in common.

"In addition to his excellent academic performance and solid clinical rotation evaluations, Mr. Splat has demonstrated excellent taste in public speakers."

wow...everybody seems really cool. I am excited about interviewing at MCW

Tis a goode stead.

Congrats on getting an interview. Alack, I shan't be an interviewer that day, methinks.

Alas, a lass
is what
I lack!
I lack
a lass!
alas!
alack!!

Throughout
the land
no one
may wed
till Dauntless shares
his marriage bed!

Members don't see this ad :)
That Hershey Kiss commercial for Christmas just came on. It's like 20 years old, at least. The one where the kisses are little bells.

That Hershey Kiss commercial for Christmas just came on. It's like 20 years old, at least. The one where the kisses are little bells.

I love old Christmas commercials. We've got a bunch on a video my dad made in 1983 or 1984 by taping Christmas shows on TV (I only know it's then because there's a McDonald's commercial hyping up the Olympics in Los Angeles).

I think there was also an Air Jammer Road Rammer commercial on that tape.

Next stop: MCW Class of 2013: THE T-SHIRT!

why is Discovery channel showing a Hilary Duff movie???

edit: It was actually the DisNEY channel. That explains it, probably.

Lol...never thought about a t-shirt. I was gonna get a sweater when I was up there, but they were too expensive!

Hey everyone. I want to check in as a new member of MCW'13. For a variety of reasons, MCW is my #1...

I think we need someone to spearhead the t-shirt committee.

Hey everyone. I want to check in as a new member of MCW'13. For a variety of reasons, MCW is my #1...

I think we need someone to spearhead the t-shirt committee.
For sure...be sure to join the facebook group too. Right now I am the only one on there.

You can buy your class shirts shortly before graduation. The c/o 2009 is in the process of designing ours now. Anyway, you'll get a white coat.

Before then, you'll have many opportunities to get club shirts or other MCW paraphernalia.

Not everyone who starts in your class may graduate with it. Our class has a lot of members from the original c/o 2008.

Yay Just got accepted. E-mail from Istwan at 7:06 am. I'm so happy

Congratulations to everyone. If you wanna get a good head start, I'm at the West Bend public library doing Step 2 practice tests, and I could use your help.

Not everyone who starts in your class may graduate with it. Our class has a lot of members from the original c/o 2008.

I took an old biochem exam for practice last night that they took when they were M1s.

I have to ask this. Do you M3s and M4s who post on SDN know who each other are in real life? I know Kernal, a fellow M1 who posts once and a while on SDN. But nobody else.

I guess I was a tad too late. You already moved on, haha.

You're a quick one Ashers :thumbup:

I guess I was a tad too late. You already moved on, haha.

You're a quick one Ashers :thumbup:

I'm bored and compulsively checking for residency interviews while sitting at home watching Fox News and the Weather Channel... pure entertainment. I've gone a week without an interview. =(

I should be getting things ready for my first interview, Thanksgiving vacation, or shopping for boots at Macy's at their boot sale.

I'm bored and compulsively checking for residency interviews while sitting at home watching Fox News and the Weather Channel... pure entertainment. I've gone a week without an interview. =(

I should be getting things ready for my first interview, Thanksgiving vacation, or shopping for boots at Macy's at their boot sale.

hint for interview: if the interviewer asks you for what you consider to be your weaknesses, don't give him muscles or muscle groups....

then again, for ortho that might be what they want to know.

I have to ask this. Do you M3s and M4s who post on SDN know who each other are in real life? I know Kernal, a fellow M1 who posts once and a while on SDN. But nobody else.

all of the M4s that post here regularly are my close personal friends and we launder money together. But we only know each other by codes names of Mr. Brown, Mr. White, Mr. Blond, Mr. Orange, Ms. Blue, and Mr. Pink. Doctor Funk is Mr. Pink.

hint for interview: if the interviewer asks you for what you consider to be your weaknesses, don't give him muscles or muscle groups....

then again, for ortho that might be what they want to know.

Dude, my weakness is real Cadbury's chocolate, not this crap they sell in the states (with the exception of Creme Eggs at Easter -- those are English, and Mini-Eggs, USA's are better than UK's). I want to make enough money to to England once a year. ;)

all of the M4s that post here regularly are my close personal friends and we launder money together. But we only know each other by codes names of Mr. Brown, Mr. White, Mr. Blond, Mr. Orange, Ms. Blue, and Mr. Pink. Doctor Funk is Mr. Pink.

All these Mr. code names will turn to Dr. in ~6months?

Dude, my weakness is real Cadbury's chocolate, not this crap they sell in the states (with the exception of Creme Eggs at Easter -- those are English, and Mini-Eggs, USA's are better than UK's). I want to make enough money to to England once a year. ;)

I'd add chocolate snob to your list of weaknesses :p

Where do the M4s hang out? I've never seen an M4 in my life, except for the ones that did the BP testing and the ones that came to Anatomy lab to show us how to do an oral exam.

I'd add chocolate snob to your list of weaknesses :p

I like cheap European chocolate. None of that Godiva stuff -- it's too rich.

Oh, and I like See's Candy -- It's a West Coast thing, but Fanny Mae in Illinois is nearly as good.

You counted? you are bored.

Change Ms. Blue to Ms. Peacock and add Miss Scarlet, you'll be fine.

I'm hesitant to say yes to a few of them.

I'll stay Mr in the UK since I'll be a surgeon. Actually, I don't know how that works for women.

Where do the M4s hang out? I've never seen an M4 in my life, except for the ones that did the BP testing and the ones that came to Anatomy lab to show us how to do an oral exam.

I was on campus yesterday. I was also there last Thursday and Friday.

We tend to hang out wherever guitar hero is.

I haven't really thought about it, but I haven't been to the school since August to turn in my yearbook page and ERAS/commencement photo. I did an away in Sept, and was at St Marys in Oct. Now traveling for interviews and holidays. Will only be in Milwaukee a few select days a month until Feb.

I really need to study for CK. You may see me at Starbucks next week.

the most uncomfortable practice question I've ever had to take just showed up on USMLE world, and it forced me to teach a patient how to "self stimulate" for anorgasmia.

edit: moderately feel better that I was wrong about sending the sickle cell guy with priapism straight to surgery. apparently an exchange transfusion is better initial management.