Medical College of Georgia 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bodonid

Dr. Spaceman
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there?

I decided I was wasting too much time checking the class thread forum twice a week, so I started this thread and I'm subscribing to it. MCG looks like a nice place, and I have decided 100% on MCG (withdrawn from my other offers). So, anyone else? Even if you aren't 100% sure you'll be there, of course!

:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I'll def be there next year. I am actually going to the area on Friday to get a better look around and look for housing :)! I recently joined the facebook group but there isn't much discussion on it - but I guess it's still very early. Also, I am not a UGA student - so I feel very outnumbered... haha!

as a first time poster, long time reader, I'm glad to say I'll be attending as well!...and don't worry, ferris, I'm a non-UGAer too.

Great to finally hear the enthusiasm for MCG...up until now, I thought our crowd was less daring than all the other classes of '12.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess we are either less daring...or there are just less of us out there that read sdn....

When are you guys hoping to settle in Augusta?? I'm hoping to get there is June sometime...

I'll def be there next year. I am actually going to the area on Friday to get a better look around and look for housing :)! I recently joined the facebook group but there isn't much discussion on it - but I guess it's still very early. Also, I am not a UGA student - so I feel very outnumbered... haha!

no kidding, there is no discussion on it! 50 people, not a word.

How did your trip go? Every time I go to Augusta I think "wow, what have I done?" But most students try to downplay the percieved negatives about living there, so either they don't matter, or they aren't all that bad. (Guarded optimism...)

Anyway, good luck to those deciding and happy waiting to me. I didn't expect to see any replies, & this is the first time I've checked the thread since I started it. Somebody else post!

no kidding, there is no discussion on it! 50 people, not a word.

How did your trip go? Every time I go to Augusta I think "wow, what have I done?" But most students try to downplay the percieved negatives about living there, so either they don't matter, or they aren't all that bad. (Guarded optimism...)

nah, augusta will be just fine for med school. I'm just thankful to be IN somewhere. But I do have a slight feeling that the discussion and pride about MCG is somewhat limited b/c many are waiting on a top choice of some sort...

nah, augusta will be just fine for med school. I'm just thankful to be IN somewhere. But I do have a slight feeling that the discussion and pride about MCG is somewhat limited b/c many are waiting on a top choice of some sort...

Very true. Not me though!! Vandy rejected me pre-secondary :mad:

Also there's a lot of people who did EDP MCG, who wouldn't be waiting on any other schools. Were you? Personally, I only applied to a handful, and the only school I am waiting on is lower on my list than MCG.

bump for anyone else

Very true. Not me though!! Vandy rejected me pre-secondary :mad:

Also there's a lot of people who did EDP MCG, who wouldn't be waiting on any other schools. Were you? Personally, I only applied to a handful, and the only school I am waiting on is lower on my list than MCG.

i didn't apply EDP...but I could kick myself for not doing so, wasting a whole lotta money for not much in return. i'm still waiting on wake, but even if i get off the waitlist there, i'm 99% sure i'll still go to MCG.

C'mon other MCGers...speak up so we can discuss things like housing and find roomates and other crap like that!

There has to be more than 3 of us on sdn that got into mcg!! Do we need to entice them with something....I'll bake delicious cookies for those who start posting :)

I can cook a pretty mean microwavable dinner. I'm really good at ordering out, too. Takers?

So did everyone get that email that said to get your MyID and then the one that said nevermind? Are we still supposed to be waiting?

Hey Y'all! Congrats on getting in! I'm a first year and I had the same question bout what the schedule was gonna be like last year.

Our anatomy labs are also included in that 9-12pm lecture schedule. They break us up into two groups who go on alternating days, once every week. We also have Essentials of Clinical Medicine, the touchyfeely stuff. We have lecture for that as usual. We have a communications lab at the beginning of the semester once every week in the afternoon. We also have small groups from 2-4pm once every two weeks and also clinical preceptorships usually in that same week as our small groups. In the small groups (which stay the same both first and second year) you discuss tutorials that you have gone over in class. The clinical preceptorships are pretty cool. You get assigned a physician faculty member and get to go to the hospital and interact with patients. Other than that, you're pretty much free to plan your own schedule.

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for posting! I was worried we were going to be in class basically from 8-5 (because labs after lecture). That is such a relief to find out that some activities are planned w/i lecture times.

Thank you so much for posting! I was worried we were going to be in class basically from 8-5 (because labs after lecture). That is such a relief to find out that some activities are planned w/i lecture times.

Yes, somebody said that on the GA pre-allo thread and I could have cried, I was so happy. I haven't had an 8-5 schedule since 11th grade, and I think it would really jeapordize my chances of doing well if we had to do 8-5 and study like crazy.

My daughter lives in a house off Alexander. 3BR and 2 bath house. Students and/or residents along with retired people in the area.

2535 Commons Trace
Augusta, GA 30909

I will be signing a listing contract Saturday, May 10 (the day after her graduation) and she reports to residency at Wake in Winston Salem on July 1.

Price of house is around $150,000. May be cheaper than renting with the rates where they are now.

One car garage with off street parking for one additional car. Alarm system (ADT). Front yard maintained by homeowner's association. 1550 sq feet. Fenced backyard.

E mail me if interested.

i didn't apply EDP...but I could kick myself for not doing so, wasting a whole lotta money for not much in return. i'm still waiting on wake, but even if i get off the waitlist there, i'm 99% sure i'll still go to MCG.

C'mon other MCGers...speak up so we can discuss things like housing and find roomates and other crap like that!

My daughter just graduated with MD from MCG and is going back to Wake for residency. (5 others from MCG are going there for residency.)

My daughter had an acceptance to go to Wake and MCG and chose MCG. She has been very happy with the way things have worked out.

BTW Augusta is not the only place you can do rotations in the third and fourth year. My daughter spent most of her rotations away from Augusta because she wanted to be closer to her boyfriend.

congratulations, 2B! Gotta change your screen name now!

how did you find the thread? I thought it had been deleted.

In other news, I just got on-campus housing, and I am very excited to relive dorm life; just hope the pace is a little slower at MCG...:)

Hey guys. I am going to be a third year student next year. I may have hosted some of you during interviews!! I have a room for rent that may be of interest to some of you who have been recently been accepted. (I was a wait-lister and was running around trying to find a place).

It is a three bedroom two bath house. Two rooms are available and the third room is occupied by a fellow medical student. There is a nice deck with a grill and hammock and the neighbors are pretty cool. I have really enjoyed living here but am moving in with a couple of my buddies. If anyone is interested Check out my add at Craigslist http://atlanta.craigslist.org/roo/694881189.html

And if you need any advice (places to live, things to do, study methods, things to look out for) reply to this post.

Good luck guys!! You're gonna love it here!

yeah, I have a question. would living in the dormatories be a bad idea?

the cost, proximity to school/gym, and lack of roomates seem like positives to me, but everyone i have spoken to says not to do it.

yeah, I have a question. would living in the dormatories be a bad idea?

the cost, proximity to school/gym, and lack of roomates seem like positives to me, but everyone i have spoken to says not to do it.

They (and the school) are just not in the best part of town. I wouldn't have felt safe living there. Plus housing in Augusta is so inexpensive you could easily live somewhere much safer and much nicer without much more expense.

Hey, this is only my second time posting to SDN. I got off the waitlist back in May. I recently signed the lease on a 2 BR house near campus and am looking for a roommate if anyone is interested. The rent is $300/month plus 1/2 utilities. There's a washer, drying, and dishwasher in the house as well as central heating/air and a security system. A definite highlight is the fenced in backyard which is perfect if you have a dog or (like me) are planning on getting one. The house is in a good location less than a mile from campus, just off Wrightsboro Rd. I will be moving in the beginning of July. If you're interested or have any questions feel free to reply in thread or e-mail me. Thanks

hey guys, good luck this fall.
people i know that lived on campus thought it was ok, not great, but not terrible. i live way out in evans so i can't say much for close by housing. for what it's worth, the housing project next to campus is being demolished for campus expansion. most people have already moved out (i think). still in the same part of town, but the on campus stuff will be more like on campus than on the edge of campus later this fall....
anyway, feel free to ask me anything you all want to know about 1st year or augusta stuff. being married and with a baby i don't know much about the social scene downtown but i'd be glad to give any info about classroom stuff, buying books, etc.
[email protected]

thank you for the input. This year's on-campus cost has doubled :( from the obscenely low 165/month price to around 310/month, but thank you for your replies!

Anyone in our class: If this thread is ever deleted or archived due to disuse (thought it happened already once), feel free to start another one yourself.

I don't know about you guys, but I can't wait to start!
Anybody checked out the phase 1 electives?
Is there any way to find a book list for this fall?

Hey guys, 2012 here, just saying hi.

This is a good thread. Much thanks to the upperclassmen + proud father who posted with valuable information, and kudos to bodonid for getting it started.

Let's do a little ice breaker: name, college, hometown, and an interesting fact.

I'll start:
Name: Chris
College: Georgia Tech
Hometown: Beijing
Interesting fact: I'm in Beijing right now. My goal is to eat 25 different resturants before I leave. I hope MCG has sturdy treadmills.

Did everyone review the book list sent out? Is there any upperclassmen who could give recommendations on what is really essential vs not really needed? Some of the books are not rated too high on some reviews I've read. Ex: Embryology book--Langman's was rated much higher on almost all recommendations that I've read....I need someone with experience to direct me.

Thanks

Hey guys, 2012 here, just saying hi.

This is a good thread. Much thanks to the upperclassmen + proud father who posted with valuable information, and kudos to bodonid for getting it started.

Let's do a little ice breaker: name, college, hometown, and an interesting fact.

I'll start:
Name: Chris
College: Georgia Tech
Hometown: Beijing
Interesting fact: I'm in Beijing right now. My goal is to eat 25 different resturants before I leave. I hope MCG has sturdy treadmills.

:eek:

and i suppose you'll then have 25 unhappy restaurant owners on your tail then eh?

Ok, I'll bite.
Name: Jamie
College: Emory
Hometown: Roswell, GA
Interesting fact: I'm fluent in Romanian

and I'll raise your prelim questions with...

Favorite Joke: Q - "What's brown and sticky?" A - "A stick."

edit

Last edited:
Hello. I'm a 4th year med student who will be doing a visiting rotation at MCG in pediatrics from 11/21 to 12/16. I'm searching for a possible room to rent while I'm there as it will likely be less expensive than some of the apartment choices around the area. If you have such a room, please let me know at [email protected]

Thanks!
Katherine