Medical Business without the MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hey All,

I've talked to multiple people about this in person and I would love some more perspectives.

I know that I don't want to do ONLY clinical medicine. I've found this past year of MS1 that I really miss being more quantitative and "engineer-y." (Undergrad in ChemE) I'm doing an internship this summer in HC consulting/management and it's really neat.

Anyway, my concern is that I don't see much practical value to the MBA in terms of ROI or skills gained--I'm sure engineering imparted in me all the accounting, math, and critical thinking skills. Maybe there's something to be said for the "management skills" you learn with an MBA, but I tend to be good with managing people.

However, the consistent narrative seems to be that the MBA fills the role of credentials/credibility. Apparently, the MBA is becoming nigh ubiquitous at the healthcare management level. The non-MBA examples I can find all rose up through the ranks of academic medicine--that is something I am certainly not interested in.

Bottom line, do people like me need the MBA? Are there ways to get around the MBA "requirement" when applying for management positions/jobs? (experience?) Even hospital-specific consulting/entrepreneurship seems to be aided by having an MBA, simply because people trust your management experience more thanks to that one year of B-school. (I feel like I'm answering my own question here)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: