Medicaid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am not famialar with AFDC/TANF so I will look that up later.

I must have been tired last night not to think of this. I guess the talk so far has focused so much on healthcare that I wasn't thinking along these lines. My mom received SSI after my dad died, so I am somewhat familiar with that one. Thankfully we have never needed unemployment benefits, but of course I know about them.

Speaking of which, I do have a real problem with unemployment. Not that it exists (who knows, I may need it one day), but like everything some do take advantage of it. I used to do interviews at WinnDixie, and I can tell you there are people who do everything they can to stay on it as long as they can (which I don't think is that long to begin with?). Some people would say the craziest things during their interview (like they think it's ok to steal as long as the boss doesn't find out :laugh:) or they would just sit their with their arms crossed and just stare at me without even answering a question until I ended the interview and then as they leave ask me to sign a form saying they interviewed and are trying to find a job. :rolleyes:

I interviewed a girl once at my pharmacy and got that. I refused to fill out the form saying the didn't actually interview with me. She told me she got a felony before but it wasn't on her application. I logic'ed that refusal saying she lief on an app. and wouldn't have gotten the interview with the felony for GTA like she said. If they are going to just BS around like that then they don't deserve the signature. Often, these people wait until the last moment anyways and then they are late and have to file the whole thing over again.

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe. But there is nothing capitalist about the Chinese economy. There is not a lot about the Chinese economy or way of life that is worth emulating in the US (massive overcrowding, strict limits to personal freedom, environmental devastation, etc) and most Americans would not want to live there. There was a fantastic post on SDN about that very topic recently, but I can't remember what thread it was in or who the author was so I can't search for it.

The other thing that you are claiming that is incorrect is that the "welfare state" is bankrupting this country. That's also not true. Our budget may be unsustainable (even this is debatable) but it's not spending on food stamps and welfare and Medicaid that will bankrupt us. They are just easy targets but they make up a relatively small part of the federal budget compared to other line items.

Not saying the chinese society is a glowing beacon, but when comes to running a capitalistic economy, they operate their country with money to spare while we spend money we don't have.

Medicare and medicaid chews up a huge chunk of the budget, and 20% of the federal budget goes towards paying for the INTEREST on our debt. The facts speaks for itself.

20% of the federal budget goes towards paying for the INTEREST on our debt. The facts speaks for itself.

A little known historical tidbit is that FDR used CapitalOne to finance The New Deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed a girl once at my pharmacy and got that. I refused to fill out the form saying the didn't actually interview with me. She told me she got a felony before but it wasn't on her application. I logic'ed that refusal saying she lief on an app. and wouldn't have gotten the interview with the felony for GTA like she said. If they are going to just BS around like that then they don't deserve the signature. Often, these people wait until the last moment anyways and then they are late and have to file the whole thing over again.

I considered that a few times. But I am a complaint/easy going sort of person, so I just signed their form and let them go. The first time I was a bit confused with what was going on, but after that I caught on. Then it was just a matter of ending the interviews as quickly as possible and moving on.

The best interview I ever had was from a man who was a convicted felon (this story has nothing to do with unemployment). He didn't disclose this on his app, but he was honest during the interview. When I asked what he was convicted of, he dead panned (exact quote as I recall it): "I killed a man". :eek: He was such a nice man too, but that was pretty funny at the time.

"Logic and compassion can actually go together, believe it or not. You could actually argue that compassion is logical but that is an entirely different debate...

Compassion and logic can go together only when they are not restrained by finite resources, which clearly isn't the case when we are plunging into debt.

Stop. Just stop. You don't know anything. You can't QUIT a job and then file for unemployment. It doesn't work that way.

He probably doesn't quit. He probably does things that will guarantee he gets fired, and it's most commonly done by people who are dodging child support collections. There are plenty of women who do that too.

He probably doesn't quit. He probably does things that will guarantee he gets fired, and it's most commonly done by people who are dodging child support collections. There are plenty of women who do that too.

If you get fired due to misconduct then you typically don't qualify for unemployment, they list the termination under something like "noncompliance" or "gross misconduct" or something. You also have to wait a certain period of time before you can even be fired to get the benefits.

I will say this however. I've see some unbecoming stuff at my job with regards to people on welfare, and yes it only takes a few rotten apples to spoil the bunch. But NEVER have my own political beliefs come between me and the service I provide currently as a tech, and nor will it my next four years as an intern or thereafter as a Pharmacist. My personal beliefs do not infringe on the rights of others.

This is the most important thing to me. I know that people will have different beliefs, and I don't care as long as they actually understand the facts and have reasonably come to their beliefs. Just don't let it affect how you take care of the people at your store/hospital/clinic/whatever. I've seen a couple pharmacists who did treat their medicaid or uninsured patients like crap. It is easy to become disillusioned and to let the bad ones get to you, but don't forget that they need your help.

Whoa. I can't even read half of these posts.

SHC - you used to have a soft spot with me in a "bless her little sheltered heart" sort of way. I always kind of liked you for what I thought was your innocence. Now I'm just realizing that you might be very book smart, but in terms of any sort of worldly knowledge, to be blunt, you are dumb as a box of hair. Which wouldn't be such a big deal except you spout off like your opinion is fact. It seems that your sheltered upbringing has done you a disservice. It's a shame to let your book smarts be held hostage by your ignorance.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. What you are not entitled to is your own facts. You are free to debate the wisdom of our welfare system and the efficiency of societies delivery of services to those less fortunate than us. What you are not free to do is supply anecdotal evidence of "abuse" without any factual data to back it up.

To those libertarians among us (and I have very strong libertarian tendencies myself) you must also recognize that it is privilege to live here. By accident of birth you were born here and not in Somalia. So, in reaping the benefits of the society you have a responsibility to the society that allows you to prosper financially.
:thumbup:

These are the people that want to cut the budget, but want all the cuts to come from the smallest segment of the budget. These are the people who rail against government hand outs and take subsidized student loans while their parents write off the interest and taxes on their homes. These are the people who say the government shouldn't subsidize mass transit but they should continue to subsidize car travel with massive government spending on roads. These are the people who say universities conduct great research while failing to acknowledge the government funds much of this research. They don't because it doesn't fit their narrative. They have a narrative of big, bad government. They have this image of a 500lb black woman in an Escalade getting drugs that they pay for. This only exists in their little minds.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Whoa. I can't even read half of these posts.

SHC - you used to have a soft spot with me in a "bless her little sheltered heart" sort of way. I always kind of liked you for what I thought was your innocence. Now I'm just realizing that you might be very book smart, but in terms of any sort of worldly knowledge, to be blunt, you are dumb as a box of hair. Which wouldn't be such a big deal except you spout off like your opinion is fact. It seems that your sheltered upbringing has done you a disservice. It's a shame to let your book smarts be held hostage by your ignorance.

I did not say anything wrong. Yeah, I shouldn't have combined medicaid with all the other welfare programs out there, but the point I am making is that those programs are being abuse. The government is not making it hard enough to NOT abuse the program, so many people that shouldn't be on the program is on it. You work at a pharmacy, so surely you seen people on medicaid driving BMWs...so you know that fact too. Fact, we have seen people driving and wearing very expensive items but yet still on medicaid. That is abuse. You and I both seen it. How common is it? Depends on your location I guess.

Secondly, is it OUR responsibly to paid for the poor? That is an OPINION. Some people think, yes, take out my money and pay for those people, some people think, no, I work hard for my money and I shouldn't have to pay other people just b/c they are poor. That is an OPINION and neither person is wrong.

Then I stand corrected. There's a lot of brash chest thumping going on in this thread and perhaps I got caught up in it without thinking my thoughts out sufficiently.

I will say this however. I've see some unbecoming stuff at my job with regards to people on welfare, and yes it only takes a few rotten apples to spoil the bunch. But NEVER have my own political beliefs come between me and the service I provide currently as a tech, and nor will it my next four years as an intern or thereafter as a Pharmacist. My personal beliefs do not infringe on the rights of others.

But outside of work, I'm a citizen with a genuine interest in how Government plays a role in my life. I don't like how this thread has made it seem almost taboo for us as healthcare providers to disagree with some of the services we provide, and also labeled us as uncaring, greedy sociopaths.

See y'all in other threads.

I love this post. So much.

Then I stand corrected. There's a lot of brash chest thumping going on in this thread and perhaps I got caught up in it without thinking my thoughts out sufficiently.

But outside of work, I'm a citizen with a genuine interest in how Government plays a role in my life. I don't like how this thread has made it seem almost taboo for us as healthcare providers to disagree with some of the services we provide, and also labeled us as uncaring, greedy sociopaths.

See y'all in other threads.

Good post. Everyone in this society including healthcare providers have the innate right to question the government and help debate and prod the government to do what you believe is right, regardless of profession choice.

But at the same time, even if you're clamoring for abolishment of healthcare coverage for citizens (not you in particular, just anyone), it doesnt change that you have a professional responsibility to heal people with your best effort. Nowhere in the pharmacists oath does it say "i will vow to help people who can pay me". You're going to be paid one way or another, and the government's decision about how to provide healthcare in a country does not really relate to the fact that as a provider, and a carer, it is our responsibility to help our fellow beings.

Members don't see this ad :)
Compassion and logic can go together only when they are not restrained by finite resources, which clearly isn't the case when we are plunging into debt.

I know right, money isn't magical, we're broke. Every dollar I pay in taxes is a dollar I don't have to spend as I see fit. Every dollar the government takes and spends on any type of welfare program is a dollar that's not spent on science R&D/infrastructure/meat inspection. Worse yet, that dollar isn't really a dollar when you figure we're paying interest on it.

So we as a society need to triage where our money goes, and I believe the highest/best use is one that has the most potential to generate wealth/income to the widest #'s of people.

Selfish? Nope, if I were selfish, I'd push for as much medicaid/medicare spending as possible since that ultimately means more money for pharmacists/health care professionals. No, my friend, we are the ones that are sacrificing for the good of the country.

Secondly, is it OUR responsibly to paid for the poor? That is an OPINION. Some people think, yes, take out my money and pay for those people, some people think, no, I work hard for my money and I shouldn't have to pay other people just b/c they are poor. That is an OPINION and neither person is wrong.

I agree. We've got the wrong kind of compassion going on in this country. People should be compassionate toward fellow man, but in a way that does not involve jacking into my hard work and distributing it by force of law.

Forced compassion isn't really compassion, it's straight up income distribution.

I agree. We've got the wrong kind of compassion going on in this country. People should be compassionate toward fellow man, but in a way that does not involve jacking into my hard work and distributing it by force of law.

Forced compassion isn't really compassion, it's straight up income distribution.

Right. People here I think are getting confused between the two ideas , one of which being that as healthcare providers we are some how obligated to support redistribution of society's funds in a certain way, which we are certainly NOT obligated to do. But to be a health professional in good faith and good form, we ARE obligated to help people regardless of who they are on the economic food chain

I think people are entitled to their opinions, whatever they are. But they aren't entitled to be ****ty to Medicaid patients because they think they are lazy/abusers/stupid whatever. Confetti, I hope you are correct that people are willing to say things on SDN that they would never DO in real life, because we owe all patients the same courtesy.

I will admit that I am truly astounded by the shocking lack of understanding about our government and how these social programs work. I'm astounded at some of the claims made in this thread by people who don't seem to know a thing about Medicaid or Medicare or food stamps or anything else. How can someone have such a strong opinion about something while simultaneously knowing NOTHING about the issue? It's scary. We're all supposedly educated here... while I understand that the "average American" usually "don't know ****" about stuff, we aren't the average American. Or we shouldn't be.

And don't get me started on the hyperbole and exaggeration. 100K cars, my ass. :rolleyes:

I know right, money isn't magical, we're broke. Every dollar I pay in taxes is a dollar I don't have to spend as I see fit. Every dollar the government takes and spends on any type of welfare program is a dollar that's not spent on science R&D/infrastructure/meat inspection. Worse yet, that dollar isn't really a dollar when you figure we're paying interest on it.

So we as a society need to triage where our money goes, and I believe the highest/best use is one that has the most potential to generate wealth/income to the widest #'s of people.

Selfish? Nope, if I were selfish, I'd push for as much medicaid/medicare spending as possible since that ultimately means more money for pharmacists/health care professionals. No, my friend, we are the ones that are sacrificing for the good of the country.

If we really wanted to save money, we'd quit paying for a lot of life support. That eats up money like you wouldn't believe, and often just prolongs the pain and suffering (or the shell) of a person.

Terri Shiavo was in a persistent vegetative state for over a decade, if I remember correctly. She slept and woke, could move her eyes, but the thought process that made her human was gone. We know that from experienced neurologists, and it was verified after her death. We don't know much about the brain, but we know enough to understand when someone is just a shell of a person.

It used to be that to keep someone on life support, a nurse or med student had to be at someone's bedside, turning a lever constantly. So the limit was two to three days. Now, people can be left on for years. Is that a good use of our money? I truly believe that after two to three doctors/hospitals say it's time to let someone's body go, unless the family wants to pay their own money, it's time to pull the plug. Again, I do not mean if a person is paralyzed but mentally present or in advance stages of Alzheimer's. I mean brain dead, persistent vegetative state, etc.

See the book I quoted earlier in this thread or the post by Dr. Grumpy entitled "Checkout time."

What amazes me is how many people think welfare/medicaid is being abused, but more often than not, these same people insist we should leave people's bodies on life support when the 'people' are long gone. Money is limited, but I don't want to take away someone's right to live when so many people are being kept artificially "alive" at great expense and manpower.

I will admit that I am truly astounded by the shocking lack of understanding about our government and how these social programs work. I'm astounded at some of the claims made in this thread by people who don't seem to know a thing about Medicaid or Medicare or food stamps or anything else. How can someone have such a strong opinion about something while simultaneously knowing NOTHING about the issue? It's scary.

Same here. I really have to mentally prepare myself before reading these threads. Sometimes they are literally too upsetting to read, to realize how this generation of students and future healthcare professionals really is.

If it wasn't for food stamps and Medicaid, I literally would have been forced to drop out of medical school. Hopefully one of you anti-Medicaid dicks was the person filling and ringing up my daughter's antibiotic prescription the other day, thinking I'm some lazy POS, when in fact I could have been the one writing the prescription you were filling.

If it wasn't for food stamps and Medicaid, I literally would have been forced to drop out of medical school. Hopefully one of you anti-Medicaid dicks was the person filling and ringing up my daughter's antibiotic prescription the other day, thinking I'm some lazy POS, when in fact I could have been the one writing the prescription you were filling.

I somehow doubt that.

Student health insurance have the option to cover the family, cost more but that's student loans are there for a reason.

This country has way too much entitlement mentality and little of the willingness to face the facts that we can't run an economy for long by borrowing more money from others countries.

Instead of having programs that are handouts, how about making it a little more like student loans, eligibility based and are required to be paid back.

I somehow doubt that.

Student health insurance have the option to cover the family, cost more but that's student loans are there for a reason.

You have no idea what you're talking about, thanks for blindly assuming you have an understanding of what's going on in my life (or anyone else on Medicaid, for that matter). Thanks for proving my point!

I don't mean to be one of those dicks, but I can say with some certainty that you are not the typical medicaid patient. Care to guess what percentage of those on medicaid are future physicians? You will pay your share in taxes many, many times over.

I don't mean to get into your personal affairs, but were you not offered much financial aid? I literally could not spend (responsibly) all the aid i was offered.

I don't mean to be one of those dicks, but I can say with some certainty that you are not the typical medicaid patient. Care to guess what percentage of those on medicaid are future physicians? You will pay your share in taxes many, many times over.

I don't mean to get into your personal affairs, but were you not offered much financial aid? I literally could not spend (responsibly) all the aid i was offered.

Something we agree on! I have had unexpected car repair bills this semester AND I am paying to attend an overseas medical mission trip over spring break but I still came in under my school's estimated COA. I don't understand how the budget is supposed to be for a single student with no outside obligations. I give the credit to being raised to be thrifty. I would be embarrassed to spend all the money I can take out in student loans. I wouldn't even know where to start. Well if I had a girlfriend I suppose she could help me with that. ;)

Edit: Clearly I am talking about a single student with no outside obligations, like I posted above. This wasn't directed at people whose situations are more...complicated.

When you have others to support, student loans don't cut it. There is another thread on this topic. Some of us HAVE to work through school- especially if we don't have parents to pay for all our stuff.

Some of you guys need a little perspective- or some more life experience. I just hope that one day you don't end up so narrow minded.

Yes, it sucks that people screw the system. But the majority of patients don't. Why would you want to deny those people benefits (or limit benefits) just because some losers milk the system? How is that fair?

You have no idea what you're talking about, thanks for blindly assuming you have an understanding of what's going on in my life (or anyone else on Medicaid, for that matter). Thanks for proving my point!

Oh boohoo, just like you are presuming to know mine. Give you the short of it, my family came here with NOTHING. My family of 3 lived on $900 a month from my father's graduate stipend + $100 from my paper route. We got no medicare or medicaid or student loans. Yep, yours must be so much worse.

Oh boohoo, just like you are presuming to know mine.
2e0snwk.gif

Oh boohoo, just like you are presuming to know mine. Give you the short of it, my family came here with NOTHING. My family of 3 lived on $900 a month from my father's graduate stipend + $100 from my paper route. We got no medicare or medicaid or student loans. Yep, yours must be so much worse.

You have no idea what his family situation is. And he doesn't have to justify it to you.

lol what the hell is this

Sure, just say you don't have to prove anything to anybody. Full of win.

Get over yourself. You don't know why his family needs Medicaid to meet their health care needs. And it's none of your business. I'm not sure why you are being such a jerk about it.

And PS: the fact that your family could live on 1000/month TWO DECADES AGO means nothing today. It's an anecdote that doesn't generalize to other families and their situations.

Get over yourself. You don't know why his family needs Medicaid to meet their health care needs. And it's none of your business. I'm not sure why you are being such a jerk about it.

And PS: the fact that your family could live on 1000/month TWO DECADES AGO means nothing today. It's an anecdote that doesn't generalize to other families and their situations.

Even with inflation that's $1000/mo in 1989 when this happened = $1700/mo today. That's less than the student loan allowance. Again, plenty of chinese students families did the same. It's not about me or him or you or anyone in particular.

So get over yourself to think that you know what a tough life is. Everyone should WHATEVER it takes to survive, live on expired food, 2nd hand cloths, picking through the garbage when you must, instead of expecting handouts.

I guess this is the chinese in me speaking, the same kind of spirit that made millions willing to endure sweatshop conditions, doing whatever it takes to climb up.

Even with inflation that's $1000/mo in 1989 when this happened = $1700/mo today. That's less than the student loan allowance. Again, plenty of chinese students families did the same. It's not about me or him or you anyone in particular.

So get over yourself to think that you know what a tough life is. Everyone should WHATEVER it takes to survive, live on expired food, 2nd hand cloths, picking through the garbage when you must, instead of expecting handouts.

You are ridiculous. Not even worth debating.

And I know plenty about bad breaks in life, thanks.

Even with inflation that's $1000/mo in 1989 when this happened = $1700/mo today. That's less than the student loan allowance. Again, plenty of chinese students families did the same. It's not about me or him or you or anyone in particular.

I guess this is the chinese in me speaking, the same kind of spirit that made millions willing to endure sweatshop conditions, doing whatever it takes to climb up.

these people do do these things. I went looking at food pantries instead of getting food stamps last semester, and when my friend was at a homeless shelter and wasnt approved for food stamps, he was not eating deluxe brand new food, it was expired food and 2nd hand donations like day old restaurant leftovers and he only got 1 meal a day. It's certainly the exception and not the rule that people are out there living large on govt. assistance. Most people on govt assistance have already exhausted their options and are already picking through trash, collecting discarded food at pantries, etc

btw. food pantry food is often times not even survival level. you're talking about all you can eat marinades and cream of corn soups. i mean, you can live off of it, but the sodium and preservatives are going to end up costing the healthcare system more in the long run than if the govt had given people a debit card to buy vegetables and grocery store foods.

Last edited:
btw. food pantry food is often times not even survival level. you're talking about all you can eat marinades and cream of corn soups. i mean, you can live off of it, but the sodium and preservatives are going to end up costing the healthcare system more in the long run than if the govt had given people a debit card to buy vegetables and grocery store foods.

Having managed a food pantry at one point (first job after college, many years ago!), I agree with you. It's not feasible for pantries to provide fresh foods, so you end up with mostly canned, processed stuff. And it's impossible to meet the needs of people who have allergies or special dietary needs. It's very rarely possible for a family to provide an appropriate, nutritionally balanced diet for growing children from a food pantry. That's why other forms of nutritional support (food stamps, WIC) are important and I'm glad they are available for those who need them. :thumbup:

The food pantry I support now is able to offer fresh fruits and vegetables once a month, plus at Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's not enough, but it's something!

these people do do these things. I went looking at food pantries instead of getting food stamps last semester, and when my friend was at a homeless shelter and wasnt approved for food stamps, he was not eating deluxe brand new food, it was expired food and 2nd hand donations like day old restaurant leftovers and he only got 1 meal a day. It's certainly the exception and not the rule that people are out there living large on govt. assistance. Most people on govt assistance have already exhausted their options and are already picking through trash, collecting discarded food at pantries, etc

btw. food pantry food is often times not even survival level. you're talking about all you can eat marinades and cream of corn soups. i mean, you can live off of it, but the sodium and preservatives are going to end up costing the healthcare system more in the long run than if the govt had given people a debit card to buy vegetables and grocery store foods

Good, then we are getting somewhere. There is an old chinese saying: "jiu ji bu jiu qiong" help people in an emergency, not those who are just poor.

I will gladly help anyone who are do the tough working and living of a chinese sweatshop worker. But growing up in this country, I find compared to the Chinese, on average people here are softer and less willing to do whatever it takes. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Good, then we are getting somewhere. There is an old chinese saying: "jiu ji bu jiu qiong" help people in an emergency, not those who are just poor.

I will gladly help anyone who are do the tough working and living of a chinese sweatshop worker. But growing up in this country, I find compared to the Chinese, on average people here are softer and less willing to do whatever it takes. Of course, that's just my opinion.

I hate to agree with you, but I do. My family was similarly self reliant. Is it any coincidence that the strongest people have suffered?

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but I'm not sure how some people can be pharmacists and then disagree with medicaid or any other government plan that helps people in need. I mean, you want to be or are pharmacists because you want to help others in some way first and foremost. This attitude should transcend through all of your values in life. You can't say "Well, when i put my white coat on suddenly my whole persona changes." A pharmacist isn't just an occupation, it's almost like a lifestyle. It's the type of person who looks after others and thinks about society. This "out-for-yourself" type of attitude isn't what a pharmacist is about and the survival of the fittest ideal shows how little empathy you may have.

As a biology grad i realize that it's a great system that seems to work well (it being a theory and all), but as humans we need to realize that feelings and emotions are involved. I mean, I'm sure some of you were born with some sort of genetic defect or predisposed disease. Did you immediately kill yourself or prevent yourself from procreating because you want to preserve our species?

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but I'm not sure how some people can be pharmacists and then disagree with medicaid or any other government plan that helps people in need. I mean, you want to be or are pharmacists because you want to help others in some way first and foremost. This attitude should transcend through all of your values in life. You can't say "Well, when i put my white coat on suddenly my whole persona changes." A pharmacist isn't just an occupation, it's almost like a lifestyle. It's the type of person who looks after others and thinks about society. This "out-for-yourself" type of attitude isn't what a pharmacist is about and the survival of the fittest ideal shows how little empathy you may have.

As a biology grad i realize that it's a great system that seems to work well (it being a theory and all), but as humans we need to realize that feelings and emotions are involved. I mean, I'm sure some of you were born with some sort of genetic defect or predisposed disease. Did you immediately kill yourself or prevent yourself from procreating because you want to preserve our species?

I think majority of the folks who are opposed to expanding welfare are think out of concern for the survival of this nation and what will left of it for the next generation. It's just not excessive healthcare spending that needs cutting, but also military and social security, etc. It's gonna hurt, but stopping spending this nation into bankruptcy will prevent far more pain for everyone.

And you don't have to use hyperboles about killing yourself due to defects. Natural selection has done that job for billions of years. We acquired the ability to effectively oppose that force with technology in relatively recent history. Only time will tell the consequences of replacing it with artificial selection.

Does your school NOT require medical insurance? My school requires it and CHARGES it automatically in my bill! I am surprise you and your family needs medicaid if most schools require that you purchase your medical insurance through the school...that does seem odd.

I thought you were taking out student loans? Isn't that more than enough for you to live on? Why would you need to go to a place like that? If you don't mind sharing, if you do that's fine.

Does your school NOT require medical insurance? My school requires it and CHARGES it automatically in my bill! I am surprise you and your family needs medicaid if most schools require that you purchase your medical insurance through the school...that does seem odd.

Twenty years ago, that would not have been the case. My college offered a hospitalization-only plan, but we were not required to have coverage.

My family of FOUR lived on 25K a year for a few years when we first moved to this country. It is possible to live like that, but most people would rather not. If the government is willing to give out money to those living on 25K a year than I can't blame them for taking the deal. :rolleyes:

Twenty years ago, that would not have been the case. My college offered a hospitalization-only plan, but we were not required to have coverage.

The user Meister is a medical student NOW I think. So it doesn't make sense for him to be on medicaid b/c to my knowledge MOST schools required you to purchase their medical insurance. The school AUTOMATICALLY bill you for their insurance...so I do not see why he would need medicaid for him or his family. The school offers medical insurance to the student's and all their family members. It makes no sense for any student to be on medicaid b/c schools offer medical coverage, actually REQUIRE medical coverage. I guess he must have declined the coverage to be on medicaid just to save some $$$ on student loans.