Med student steals dying patient's iPad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Another reason why USC > UCLA: our students commit fewer felonies against dying patients.

Reactions: 16 users
Wow I was hoping it would have been a misunderstanding. Maybe she wanted to move the patient's iPad out of the way when doing her exam and absent mindedly put it in her pocket and then forgot about it for a while. But renaming it was the real kicker and absolutely hilarious.

It is pretty odd deciding to throw your whole medical education away for a $500 device.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hope she's expelled if the allegation is true - and it looks like it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Wow I was hoping it would have been a misunderstanding. Maybe she wanted to move the patient's iPad out of the way when doing her exam and absent mindedly put it in her pocket and then forgot about it for a while. But renaming it was the real kicker and absolutely hilarious.

It is pretty odd deciding to throw your whole medical education away for a $500 device.

I'm trying to imagine a scenario in which someone who was completely technologically oblivious could have done this accidentally. Maybe she had the same generic background, couldn't unlock it, plugged it in and re-formatted it without really paying any attention. I think it's at least possible something like this could have happened.

It seems very unlikely though.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know about her, but just thinking of the sheer opportunity cost and real cost I had to pay to get into med school, I wouldn't trade it for 500000 dollars, not to mention an iPad. Or maybe she's a klepto.

She'll certainly get what's coming to her. I'm hoping the judge throws the book at her for pleading "not guilty" and actually makes her do a few week's time.

Reactions: 1 users
This is wrong on so many levels. I can't even.

Reactions: 11 users
  • Research Internship at National Institutes of Health- National Center on Minority Health and Health Disparities
  • Primary Investigator at McNair's Scholars Program
  • Health Disparities Initiative Leader Intern at Contra Costa County Health Services
Quite a CV combined with Berkeley Bachelor's and 2 years away from UCLA MD. Looks like a profile of someone who was on her way to a highly competitive program somewhere.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm trying to imagine a scenario in which someone who was completely technologically oblivious could have done this accidentally. Maybe she had the same generic background, couldn't unlock it, plugged it in and re-formatted it without really paying any attention. I think it's at least possible something like this could have happened.

It seems very unlikely though.

I keep trying to hope that's the case. Like you said that she mistook it for hers and couldn't unlock it, so she just reformatted it through iTunes.

I really can't imagine that's a realistic scenario. But at the same time I really want to hope she didn't steal an iPad in the middle of a code. Yeesh.

Reactions: 2 users
Lol. Wish I could read her AMCAS personal statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
from that girls linkedin: "committed to providing social justice and healthcare for diverse populations.'"

I will NEVER trust a student that publicly proclaims all that PR BS that schools are obsessed with. They are 9/10 times the ones who do shady stuff

how truly stupid do you have to be to do this? you're in medical school and you're gonna risk your career on a 500 dollar ipad? and then you're going to rename it? she's so dumb she deserves to be expelled.

Reactions: 10 users
I keep trying to hope that's the case. Like you said that she mistook it for hers and couldn't unlock it, so she just reformatted it through iTunes.

I really can't imagine that's a realistic scenario. But at the same time I really want to hope she didn't steal an iPad in the middle of a code. Yeesh.

What worries me more than the iPad is that she works with non-profit organizations including as a director/board member of "Philanthro". It is quite possible that she is stealing money from these organizations. The school should make a quick and decisive action to expel her. It would be disgraceful to UCLA for there to be any other outcome.

Last edited:
"Nguyen's LinkedIn profile lists her summary as 'committed to providing social justice and healthcare for diverse populations.'"

What worries me more than the iPad is that she works with non-profit organizations including as a director/board member of "Philanthro". It is quite possible that she is stealing money from these organizations. The school should make a quick and decisive action to expel her. It would be disgraceful to UCLA for there to be any other outcome.

AND SHE'S PROBABLY IN CAHOOTS WITH THE TRIAD. Geez, man. Chill.

Reactions: 8 users
AND SHE'S PROBABLY IN CAHOOTS WITH THE TRIAD. Geez, man. Chill.

I'm chill. As others have pointed out, it is likely that she has done this before. She is a black mark on the school and she should not be counted as one of our colleagues. Anyone who steals from the helpless is a rotten person, pure and simple. Who knows what her limit is now that she has called it into question?

Off a dying patient...

Shady boots!

She received a $150,000 scholarship to go to Berkeley and a $300,000 scholarship to UCLA Med....and threw that and her 5-20 million dollar career in medicine away for a $400 ipad.

Reactions: 9 users
She received a $150,000 scholarship to go to Berkeley and a $300,000 scholarship to UCLA Med....and threw that and her 5-20 million dollar career in medicine away for a $400 ipad.

clearly a lot of intelligence going around there

Just what the medical school professionalism police need, more incidences like this convincing themselves that they were right. Sad that a medical student smart and intelligent enough to get into UCLA's medical school would throw it all away for an iPad she could have bought easily with her student loan money.

Funny on her Linkedin profile: "I am committed to providing social justice and healthcare for diverse populations."

Her undergrad and medical school tuition was PAID FOR, and she did this?!!? Wow. Just..wow.

The struggle is real
I would love to have had her financial struggles of having my undergraduate education at Berkeley paid for and my medical school tuition at UCLA fully paid for. According to her PubMed, her research pubs were in Orthopedic Surgery.

I guess it's far fetched, but I wonder if there is any possibility she was framed?

This is just way too weird, and way too stupid.

A girl bright enough to make it so far into medical school (at a competitive program) is dumb enough to:

1.steal an object that is valuable enough for it to be a felony
2. the object has well known tracking software
3. she logs into apple and literally plugs in her name, in case having the trackable item weren't damning enough....without even waiting to make sure she got away with it

I just don't get it. I hope it's bs.

I guess it's far fetched, but I wonder if there is any possibility she was framed?

This is just way too weird, and way too stupid.

A girl bright enough to make it so far into medical school (at a competitive program) is dumb enough to:

1.steal an object that is valuable enough for it to be a felony
2. the object has well known tracking software
3. she logs into apple and literally plugs in her name, in case having the trackable item weren't damning enough....without even waiting to make sure she got away with it

I just don't get it. I hope it's bs.
Something definitely doesn't compute for me either. On the one hand, I'd like to think that somebody that intelligent and hard working would refrain from doing something so rash and stupid. On the other hand, experience in life has taught me that the intelligence required for that level of achievement doesn't necessarily correlate with common sense, maturity or ethical behavior.

Either way it will be interesting to see what the whole story is once the dust has settled.

Reactions: 6 users

I bet she did it to defy the "Asians are good at math" stereotype.

Wonder if there is a payback clause on the scholarship for boneheaded moves leading to expulsion?

iexpelled
tumblr_inline_n2rgxbvW6W1swqms5.gif

Just goes to show you the interviews can't weed out all the crazies. Probably a klepto that didn't even need the ipod.
iPad*

Get with the times Oma

I bet she did it to defy the "Asians are good at math" stereotype.
I'm still not getting why someone who went to UC Berkeley and UCLA for free, would steal someone's iPad. Heck if she had gone to UCI - they would have GIVEN her an iPad. I know Angry Birds can be addictive, but still.

I'm still not getting why someone who went to UC Berkeley and UCLA for free, would steal someone's iPad. Heck if she had gone to UCI - they would have GIVEN her an iPad. I know Angry Birds can be addictive, but still.

I'm convinced there is more to the story we don't know.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm convinced there is more to the story we don't know.
That's what is so weird about the story. I don't have a personal iPad so I don't know the intricate ins and outs to how one changes the name of their iPad, or reset it when it gets locked, etc. yada yada as stated above.

I can't find anything online about this $300,000 Strassburg scholarship... Also, she was a med student since at least 2007. Wouldn't she have graduated by now? How can she be a 3rd year student? Weird story with some holes.

I think we should reserve judgement until the full story comes out.

That's what is so weird about the story. I don't have a personal iPad so I don't know the intricate ins and outs to how one changes the name of their iPad, or reset it when it gets locked, etc. yada yada as stated above.

What if she thought it was hers, couldn't get into it because it was locked (maybe she recently changed her password, or recently bought a new iPad and had forgotten the passcode she used), mentioned it to her boyfriend or someone she was living with, and they reformatted it without thinking about it. There are just a lot of possibilities, even if they're hard to imagine.

I think I just have a very hard time imagining a medical student is capable of doing something like this.

I feel like the fact that the ipad was renamed is a give-away she was framed... Who is going to be dumb enough to do that and keep it in the hospital? I don't buy someone being dumb enough to have 500k in scholarships and then steal a 500 dollar toy. Sounds like a disgruntled colleague.

What if she thought it was hers, couldn't get into it because it was locked (maybe she recently changed her password, or recently bought a new iPad and had forgotten the passcode she used), mentioned it to her boyfriend or someone she was living with, and they reformatted it without thinking about it. There are just a lot of possibilities, even if they're hard to imagine.

I think I just have a very hard time imagining a medical student is capable of doing something like this.

find feature wouldn't work then, if they wiped it, the original owner's apple ID wouldn't be still on it and thus find feature wouldn't be able to go through iCloud

Last edited:

Those are the scenarios I was thinking of and they aren't off the wall scenarios either. It's one thing if when she opened the iPad it said x's iPAD and then she willingly changed it but there are so many other scenarios that are plausible and don't have bad intent behind them. Maybe there is something I'm missing on the iPad specifications that I don't know of. If she's some techie who is able to do this, she would have gone a lot further to hide it. I'm sure she knows there is an app to track your iPad.

find feature wouldn't work then, if they wiped it, the original owner's apple ID wouldn't be still on it and thus find feature wouldn't be apple to go through iCloud
lol - I don't even know what an iCloud is. The only ones I know are cumulus and nimbus clouds.

I can't find anything online about this $300,000 Strassburg scholarship... Also, she was a med student since at least 2007. Wouldn't she have graduated by now? How can she be a 3rd year student? Weird story with some holes.

She could have been an MD/PhD also I believe the story said she was 32.

I will NEVER trust a student that publicly proclaims all that PR BS that schools are obsessed with. They are 9/10 times the ones who do shady stuff

You've never been in industry. This is how you write stuff on your CV in industry. Use the buzzwords. Managers eat it up and it certainly doesn't mean one is more likely to be dishonest.

"Lorraine Strassburg of Encino pledged resources for medical student scholarships. Since Strassburg’s death in November, the David Geffen School of Medicine has received $5 million from the Strassburg Living Trust to establish the Neil, Lorraine and Leo Strassburg Memorial Scholarship Fund to support medical students."
http://newsroom.ucla.edu/stories/050628news_initiative

find feature wouldn't work then, if they wiped it, the original owner's apple ID wouldn't be still on it and thus find feature wouldn't be apple to go through iCloud

Yeah I don't know any of the tech specifics. I guess we'll have to wait and see how this unfolds.

You've never been in industry. This is how you write stuff on your CV in industry. Use the buzzwords. Managers eat it up and it certainly doesn't mean one is more likely to be dishonest.

Everyone one of the people I know that kiss administration butt, ie post crap like that about serving in underserved areas, does shady stuff. literally 100 percent.

Yeah I don't know any of the tech specifics. I guess we'll have to wait and see how this unfolds.

i wrote apple instead of able. talk about dyslexia.

The act of stealing itself is horrible, but stealing from a dying patient is one of the most disgusting things you can do.

Reactions: 8 users
In a more humorous vein -

I had a patient at the VA. The patient in the bed next to him passed away. And my patient, unbeknownst to anyone, stole his Rascal scooter!!

One day my patient was just trolling around the VA in a scooter. We all assumed he had got it through social work or something and didn't really think about it.

The reason we found this out is that the VA police got a complaint from the family that it wasn't returned with his other belongings so they tracked it down.

Gotta love the VA.

Reactions: 12 users