Med School Ortho Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliPlease

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If research in orthopedics is desirable for competitive ortho residencies, does this mean taking a fifth year of school to devote oneself to research such as at schools like UCSF, UCLA where research is not integral to the med school curriculum, is necessary, desirable, overkill, or can summer between M1 and M2 research suffice? I assume a program like Duke will incorporate enough research during third year, but would the one semester at Penn be enough? How about Case Western, Pitt, Vanderbilt and other schools that have some research requirements formally in their med school curriculum? Thanks for any information you can give me.

Members don't see this ad.

There is no set formula
Get into Medical School first -
IF you haven't done research in College, but get accepted to any medical school, you can always try M1-M2 summer research. Or you can request a year off to do research while in Med School, or you can do an MD/PhD
However, until you get into Med School - you can do research in College.
Maybe, it will help decide whether to go MD, MD/PhD, or PhD

CaliPlease said:
If research in orthopedics is desirable for competitive ortho residencies, does this mean taking a fifth year of school to devote oneself to research such as at schools like UCSF, UCLA where research is not integral to the med school curriculum, is necessary, desirable, overkill, or can summer between M1 and M2 research suffice? I assume a program like Duke will incorporate enough research during third year, but would the one semester at Penn be enough? How about Case Western, Pitt, Vanderbilt and other schools that have some research requirements formally in their med school curriculum? Thanks for any information you can give me.

I have been accepted to mulitple med schools and trying to make my MAY 15th decision, and so the schools that offer research vs those that do not does matter. So, the question is, do you need a fifth year of med school for research if the med school you go to does not have a formal research program? And even if it does, do you still need a fifth year? Thank you.

The key is to find time the summer between 1st and 2nd year of medical school. I did a small project to get face time. Then during the spring of my 2nd year I did bench research at night. The funny thing is that everyone in my class thought I was a slacker for not coming to classes. Instead I was at the library during the day, and did research at night.

It finally paid off. I got two publications in orthopedic journals. Both of them with a well known reasearcher in the field. Now, I'm going to do my subI in ortho this June with the same person that I did my ortho research (co-author of my publications) for the past year. :D