Med school experience as an older student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hs764

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would love to hear about the experience of some older students in medical school, particularly if there are not many other older students at your school. I'll be applying this spring and should I get accepted anywhere, I'll be 31 when I start. The info I have about the schools I'm applying to suggests that students in their late 20s and early 30s are few and far between, so I'm a little anxious about what the social experience is going to be like. I'm not worried about the work - I'm not married, don't have kids, and have plenty of energy, but I am worried that it might be kind of a lonely experience if my classmates are mostly 22-23 year olds. Does anyone have any perspective on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
It is fine. You will find your group of friends and age won't really matter after a short time. Plenty of other things to worry about :)

Reactions: 1 users
If you are single and have no kid, you will be like 90% of classmates.
Your age won't make a difference at all IMO

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Some of my all time best students have been in their 30s and 40s!

I would love to hear about the experience of some older students in medical school, particularly if there are not many other older students at your school. I'll be applying this spring and should I get accepted anywhere, I'll be 31 when I start. The info I have about the schools I'm applying to suggests that students in their late 20s and early 30s are few and far between, so I'm a little anxious about what the social experience is going to be like. I'm not worried about the work - I'm not married, don't have kids, and have plenty of energy, but I am worried that it might be kind of a lonely experience if my classmates are mostly 22-23 year olds. Does anyone have any perspective on this?

Reactions: 2 users
I was 31 when I started but I'm by far not the oldest in my class (one guy was 43 when we started and a handful were mid to late 30s). I'm married, so my experience may not reflect yours, but it hasn't been a lonely experience at all. I think it's been much easier actually to make friends in med school than it is in the workforce. I recommend going to lots of class events early on.

There's a range of maturity among the 22-23 year old straight-from-college students but I like all my classmates. My close group of friends is mostly in their mid to late 20s. I was worried it would be awkward to be older than most residents/some attendings, but it hasn't been because of the firm hierarchical setup I've encountered so far in my clerkships.

Reactions: 5 users
I'll be 36 when I start and I'm worried about the same thing. One of the schools I interviewed at is mostly students right out of college and I don't think they see non trads very often because she kept saying "and it's ok to be older. It's ok" as if she were reassuring herself. I'm also accepted at is a DO program and I'm almost tempted to go there over MD bc everyone is in their late 20s. I'm not sure what is going to happen and the uncertainty is driving me crazy.

I was 31 when I started but I'm by far not the oldest in my class (one guy was 43 when we started and a handful were mid to late 30s). I'm married, so my experience may not reflect yours, but it hasn't been a lonely experience at all. I think it's been much easier actually to make friends in med school than it is in the workforce. I recommend going to lots of class events early on.

There's a range of maturity among the 22-23 year old straight-from-college students but I like all my classmates. My close group of friends is mostly in their mid to late 20s. I was worried it would be awkward to be older than most residents/some attendings, but it hasn't been because of the firm hierarchical setup I've encountered so far in my clerkships.
Oh that's good, hopefully wherever I end up it'll be a similar demographic. Where do you go?

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile app

You mean as evidence of what you could be like ?

Don't we determine our OWN destiny... ? or do u not want to buy into a REDUCTIVISM?

.... or maybe I missed that part of my Post-Hobbsian reading

it's not so simple...
"Consider also the Prisoner's Dilemma: the fact that one prisoner does not trust the other causes them both to make the wrong decision, resulting in a situation much worse for each than if they had worked together."

Reactions: 1 user
You mean as evidence of what you could be like ?

Don't we determine our OWN destiny... ? or do u not want to buy into a REDUCTIVISM?

.... or maybe I missed that part of my Post-Hobbsian reading

it's not so simple...
"Consider also the Prisoner's Dilemma: the fact that one prisoner does not trust the other causes them both to make the wrong decision, resulting in a situation much worse for each than if they had worked together."
I'm not looking for cute answers, thanks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

I started at 29. People thought I was cool. Then I ended up studying all the time so it didn't matter as much. Still cool tho if you were wondering.

I started med school at 42. Not married, no kids, tons of energy. Hung around with some older students (mid 20s). Married one. Life is good.

If you are young at heart, you will have a good time too.

Reactions: 5 users
Its the journey that matters. You get to go to your grave satisfied with your accomplishment.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
I started med school at 42. Not married, no kids, tons of energy. Hung around with some older students (mid 20s). Married one. Life is good.

If you are young at heart, you will have a good time too.
Damn, you've got my hopes up now! :)

I'm a 36 year old MS1 (only the third oldest in my class, for the record). Not married, no kids. My classmates didn't even realize I was in my thirties until almost two months in when I made a joke about it, and it's really not a thing. While I do notice the difference in mindset and life experience, for the most part they're nice, friendly people who are here to learn, the same as I am. I don't go out gettin' crunk in da clubz on weekends with them, but there's other social life besides school if you go put yourself in it. My outside friend circle is older, non-medical people I've met here doing things other than medical school.

Way more noticeable than any student is the professors assuming everyone in the class is in their early-mid 20s. They constantly do the "Oh gosh, I know you're just too young to remember this, but..." intro and then bring up something that happened when I was already past high school, lol.

I started at 31, now 33 as a MS3. I have gotten along with residents and attendings very well, and have a strong little friend group. We range in age from 24-34. I am also dating a girl who is 7 years younger... couldn't be happier. There's definitely some gentle ribbing about being an old man, but never any discrimination or mistreatment bc of my age.

It was absolutely a non issue from a social standpoint and was actually a real advantage when we moved into the clinical years. Socially, much will depend on what kind of student your school actively recruits, but odds are that if you get accepted, so will others like you.

I really can't overstate how helpful a little age can be clinically. Not only does it help with building rapport with your faculty, but it does wonders for how patients see you as well. Even now as a resident, it's still rather helpful as patients and families tend to look at me differently than someone who looks like they're barely old enough to vote. It's similarly helpful when dealing with nursing and other staff.

As for drawbacks, there aren't many. The one I feel most acutely is that it takes me longer to bounce back from long sleepless calls than it would have in my early 20s. Still quite doable, just slightly more painful than it used to be.

Thanks for your question, enjoyed the responses. I'm 30+ now. I'm so happy things worked out this way because I already have 10 years of marriage and my kids will be about kindergarten if I start next year. If I had gone to med school in my early 20s, I wouldn't have had all this precious time with my spouse & kids or may have had to deal with pregnancy during medical training. There are a lot of paths to medicine and certainly no right way! Your way is your way! Good luck!

Last edited:
Average age of matriculation in American med schools is 24. Most students are 22-23, coming right out of college--which means most schools have at least a few students entering in their late 20s, 30s, or later.

Unless you go to an unusually small med school, I suspect you'll find at least a few folks your own age that you can relate to and commiserate with.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Honestly your previous life experience is probably beneficial. As a 21 -->22 yo entering medical school straight out of UG, I was not really confident and didn't feel like I had much to contribute. Also, lotsa girls seemed more interested in the older dudes as well.

I can still see how you're anxious because 31 is more than just the typical typical non-trad of 25 who came in after a year off and SMP or something. That being said, realize that medical school experience was hardly like high school.

Everyone kind of just does their own thing. There are cliques but instead of forming circles in hallways, they chill at the local bars. Also, since there is so much time for studying, you're better off not going in anticipating a blooming social life especially if you're already more of an introvert at heart.

Average age of matriculation in American med schools is 24. Most students are 22-23, coming right out of college--which means most schools have at least a few students entering in their late 20s, 30s, or later.

Unless you go to an unusually small med school, I suspect you'll find at least a few folks your own age that you can relate to and commiserate with.

Yeah, I'm just using the school data from MSAR but I think it's a year or so behind. It's surprisingly hard to find info about age demographics.

Honestly your previous life experience is probably beneficial. As a 21 -->22 yo entering medical school straight out of UG, I was not really confident and didn't feel like I had much to contribute. Also, lotsa girls seemed more interested in the older dudes as well.

I can still see how you're anxious because 31 is more than just the typical typical non-trad of 25 who came in after a year off and SMP or something. That being said, realize that medical school experience was hardly like high school.

Everyone kind of just does their own thing. There are cliques but instead of forming circles in hallways, they chill at the local bars. Also, since there is so much time for studying, you're better off not going in anticipating a blooming social life especially if you're already more of an introvert at heart.

Well I'm a girl, but still, good to know. :)

I came in as an older student, and I will say it's been a different experience than when I went to law school right out of undergrad. I get along well and interact with just about all my classmates, but rarely socialize outside of school because frankly I'm just not interested in drinking cheap alcohol in a tiny apartment anymore.

I also don't study much with classmates because I've found them to be wildly inefficient; even our best students just stay up all night pounding caffeine and ****ty food for 2-3 days while cramming for each exam. Again, just not my style anymore.

But I do have a small group (of all ages) I like to grab a beer with every now and then when we get time off. You'll naturally find people that match your personality and gravitate towards them, but it'll probably be a different crowd than your 22 year old self would've associated with.

Three whole decades older than all but a couple of my MS-2 classmates in their thirties, but I am having an absolute blast with these guys. They joke that I am more hip than they are because of my pop culture "expertise" [what can I say, mom of three teenagers.] I surprise them a couple times a year by showing up at da clubz, and they cheer when I walk in the door. Too funny. Once they made a human tunnel for me to walk through. Hilarious. (The non-med students in da clubz are wondering, who is this weird woman? lol) They always tell me I am senior #goals and my husband and I are #relationshipgoals. I genuinely enjoy them, and it is mutual. They understand I can't party all the time since I am a wife and mom on top of being a med student. They're funny and fun, hard-working, hard-playing, kind, thoughtful, and wicked smart. Most of them are quite mature for their years. (Our admissions people knock it out of the park when they assemble the classes.) The other side to this that is kind of cool is that they also confide in me and respect my input on serious issues as well.

I have not been so sure I was an essential part of any entity since a completely helpless, nursing infant stared up into my eyes. Med school as an "ultra" nontrad has been a sheer joy and privilege. I almost feel a sense of obligation to deliver those aspects that are uniquely mine to contribute. Like perspective. Still stunned and seriously humbled they took a big chance on me and let me in! Have never been lonely or isolated, and actually, always on the lookout for anyone who might be feeling that way.

We were at the med school's annual gala the other night...one of my admissions interviewers approached my husband, shook his hand, and told him that, as much as I would gain from the school, I had already given back a hundred fold. Meant everything to me and validated that I wasn't delusional about how I thought things were unfolding here. It has been better than I could have ever imagined.
TL;DR: You can be dynamically integrated and even influential as your class nontrad in ways you may not have been as a younger student.

Reactions: 7 users
I started at 31, now 33 as a MS3. I have gotten along with residents and attendings very well, and have a strong little friend group. We range in age from 24-34. I am also dating a girl who is 7 years younger... couldn't be happier. There's definitely some gentle ribbing about being an old man, but never any discrimination or mistreatment bc of my age.
Why would there be? Are 33 year olds now geriatrics? Lol....

This has been really helpful to me, also. If I'm accepted, I'll be 32 when I start. Thanks for the responses everyone... And thank you OP for asking a question I was a little nervous to ask! :)

Without a doubt marital status and children are a much larger factor than age

In academia, we're very used to being around people of the same age/ same stage in life. It all comes down to people's maturities and interests. Yes, not being tied up in a serious relationship/having kids definitely helps, but most people will come to realize that age is not much of a factor. I've been out of school for a year and the best friends i've made are 8-10 years older than me.