Med school drop out. After dealing with personal matter, I want to go back in.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amesai

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm at a point where I have no contact with people with similar goals to mine. So, I'm really not sure where to get suggestions and advice other than here. I'll give a quick background intro and would love to read everyone's input.

I did extremely well in high school. I got into a good bio-med program at a famous school. Due to unresolved issues and immaturity, I started struggling with my grades in my 2nd year. Unsure of what to do, a family friend suggested Caribbean medical schools. I started as a pre-med student. I was one of the top 5 students in class throughout basic sciences (first two years of medical school). When I went home to study for my Step 1, I was getting NBME scores that predicted I'd get 240+ on Step 1. I wanted to spend another month running through more questions. During this time, I got really depressed due to personal issues. I became a shut in. Stopped doing everything, time flew by and I'm writing this 3 years later.

At my current state, I'm only a high school graduate. I'm in my late 20s. I realized my dream to be a physician too late and feel like my mistakes from my past are haunting me.

I'd love to hear your opinions of what my future options would be.

I'd also like to know if I apply to another med school, would my academic history reset or would the licencing board know about my previous failures?

Please help. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your story jumped from being a premed to studying for step.....what have you actually completed school wise?

Your story jumped from being a premed to studying for step.....what have you actually completed school wise?
I did pre-med and then did first 2 years of medical school (basic sciences).

Members don't see this ad :)
If you voluntarily withdrew from the Caribbean school in good standing, you may have a chance at some schools if you craft your application/PS carefully (assuming all else is in order and you otherwise have a strong application except for the previous attendance at a Caribbean school. Some schools will not consider you no matter what.)

However, if you failed out of the Caribbean school/withdrew in bad standing or to avoid dismissal/probation, etc., then I don’t think you really have realistic options of pursuing a career as a physician. At most, you could attempt to get reinstated at your previous med school (for people who get dismissed or who withdraw from any med school, this is usually the only viable option), but your application for residency would be significantly disadvantaged and you would need to ask yourself if you’re willing to continue this journey with ever diminishing chances of matching to a residency program. Some people are willing to take the risk, while others can’t/don’t- and there’s no right answer, just a decision based on facts that is ultimately your choice and your choice alone.

Regardless, your academic history will never “reset.” Schools will always ask about prior matriculation, and if you’ve ever attempted any portion of the USMLE, there will be a record of that too. Lying or trying to hide or gloss over these things will definitely be the end of your career (certainly not insinuating you would do that; I’m just stating this for completeness and for any future readers of this post).

Glad to hear you overcame the problems you were dealing with. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Base step 1: finish your BA and crush it
That'll inform a lot of what you can/should do next

I'm at a point where I have no contact with people with similar goals to mine. So, I'm really not sure where to get suggestions and advice other than here. I'll give a quick background intro and would love to read everyone's input.

I did extremely well in high school. I got into a good bio-med program at a famous school. Due to unresolved issues and immaturity, I started struggling with my grades in my 2nd year. Unsure of what to do, a family friend suggested Caribbean medical schools. I started as a pre-med student. I was one of the top 5 students in class throughout basic sciences (first two years of medical school). When I went home to study for my Step 1, I was getting NBME scores that predicted I'd get 240+ on Step 1. I wanted to spend another month running through more questions. During this time, I got really depressed due to personal issues. I became a shut in. Stopped doing everything, time flew by and I'm writing this 3 years later.

At my current state, I'm only a high school graduate. I'm in my late 20s. I realized my dream to be a physician too late and feel like my mistakes from my past are haunting me.

I'd love to hear your opinions of what my future options would be.

I'd also like to know if I apply to another med school, would my academic history reset or would the licencing board know about my previous failures?

Please help. Thank you.
Forget about any other Carib schools. Get a UG degree, and do it right.

But first make sure that your mental health issues are 100% under control.

Just to make sure...are you a US citizen?

Total troll post. You struggled with grades your first two UG years, so just decided to go to a *Caribbean* medical school for "pre-med" coursework? Do you have a money tree in your backyard???? Are you shaking a magic 8 ball and just doing whatever pops up?

Then magically you are a top five student and taking practice Step 1 tests just four years removed from high school. Wait, then another turn in the story and you are a drop-out?

Did anyone actually believe this??? Lol

If you voluntarily withdrew from the Caribbean school in good standing, you may have a chance at some schools if you craft your application/PS carefully (assuming all else is in order and you otherwise have a strong application except for the previous attendance at a Caribbean school. Some schools will not consider you no matter what.)

However, if you failed out of the Caribbean school/withdrew in bad standing or to avoid dismissal/probation, etc., then I don’t think you really have realistic options of pursuing a career as a physician. At most, you could attempt to get reinstated at your previous med school (for people who get dismissed or who withdraw from any med school, this is usually the only viable option), but your application for residency would be significantly disadvantaged and you would need to ask yourself if you’re willing to continue this journey with ever diminishing chances of matching to a residency program. Some people are willing to take the risk, while others can’t/don’t- and there’s no right answer, just a decision based on facts that is ultimately your choice and your choice alone.

Regardless, your academic history will never “reset.” Schools will always ask about prior matriculation, and if you’ve ever attempted any portion of the USMLE, there will be a record of that too. Lying or trying to hide or gloss over these things will definitely be the end of your career (certainly not insinuating you would do that; I’m just stating this for completeness and for any future readers of this post).

Glad to hear you overcame the problems you were dealing with. Best of luck to you!

Thank you so much! I did withdraw on my own. I only paid for one USMLE Step 1 course but I was unable to write it because at that time being a physician wasn't in my cards. Would the medical board have my attempt to write it in their system even though I never wrote it? I'm worried about residency. The reason I'm not going back to the other school is because I don't want the residency board to see I took 8 years to finish school.

Total troll post. You struggled with grades your first two UG years, so just decided to go to a *Caribbean* medical school for "pre-med" coursework? Do you have a money tree in your backyard???? Are you shaking a magic 8 ball and just doing whatever pops up?

Then magically you are a top five student and taking practice Step 1 tests just four years removed from high school. Wait, then another turn in the story and you are a drop-out?

Did anyone actually believe this??? Lol
Why would I troll about something like this?

Forget about any other Carib schools. Get a UG degree, and do it right.

But first make sure that your mental health issues are 100% under control.

Just to make sure...are you a US citizen?

I'm Canadian. I feel like I'm too old to go to UG. I would get out of med school at 34 if I followed that route.

I'm Canadian. I feel like I'm too old to go to UG. I would get out of med school at 34 if I followed that route.

I know that seems crazy, but you can't get into any reputable medical school without SOME degree. Taking a look at licensing requirements in certain states, you will need at least 2 or more years at a college or university before medical school in order to practice medicine in some states. If you choose to skip UG, you'll be putting yourself in the position of being hindered in your future.

I know that seems crazy, but you can't get into any reputable medical school without SOME degree. Taking a look at licensing requirements in certain states, you will need at least 2 or more years at a college or university before medical school in order to practice medicine in some states. If you choose to skip UG, you'll be putting yourself in the position of being hindered in your future.

Okay, thank you!

lol...ill be 32-33 when i get out (plus 5-7 years of residency/fellow). Age shouldnt matter if you are truly passionate about becoming a physician. Goro is obviously being sarcastic...

Even if I go back to undergrad?
You said you were old! You can't have it both ways.

If you want to be a doctor, you have to do it the right way, and get a UG degree. Plus all the other stuff pre-meds need to do.

Some of my all time best students have been in their 30s and 40s. One's a PGY3 at age 53 now.

Reactions: 1 users

Budddy, I’m going back to undergrad in a non-science major at 30 en route to a career in medicine. You either want to do this the right way or you don’t.

Reactions: 1 users