Med. School and Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadameLULU

Saucy
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do residency programs look at the medical school attended in deciding acceptance?
For example, if I attend a state school in TX (NOT including Southwestern) and performed the same academically and on the USMLE as someone who attended a school like Baylor, Emory, Southwestern, or some school in the top 25, who has the upper edge? Is there EVEN an upper edge in this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

I think general consensus is that if you are at one of the top 5 schools you may have a slight edge, especially at residency programs at those top 5, otherwise it doesn't matter.

I agree with Seaglass. It likely only makes a significant difference for the very top tier schools, acknowledging some regional differences (ie, what is perceived as a top tier school in Texas may be seen as no different than any other school outside of that region).

In the end, it doesn't really matter. After all, you can't change where you went to medical school and if you really want to apply to a certain residency program, you shouldn't let your alma mater stop you.

I think it definitey makes a difference. I think it applies to more than the top tier, it's more of a spectrum. Your school is plastered all over your application and programs know the general reputation of that school. They may actually have experience admitting candidates from that school in the past (right or wrong, that's how it is). They will likely have an image of the type of applicant that comes from that school. Some schools are harder to get into than others, and programs take that into account.

If two application are exactly the same (rare), and the candidates interview similarly, the one from the "better" school will get ranked higher. This could mean comparing a #1 vs. #14 ranked school or comparing a #28 vs #64 ranked school. I certainly don't agree with the way schools are ranked, but that's the way it is.

However, if you're at a, say, #25 ranked school and your application is a little stronger and you come off better at your interview, you will get picked over someone from a "better" school. The number and interaction of factors is mind-boggling.

I'm fairly certain it makes a big difference. All of the competative residencies at my school are filled by our students or students from top 20 schools.

Like others have said, being from a top school will help getting into a top residency in any field. I'm sure all programs would like to fill their spots with the best people from the best schools, but only a finate number of those people exist. So for the rest of us who don't come from a top school, we still have a chance to land a good spot.