Med related Community Services?

Hyoon

KStyle
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering which medical related community services are available in a general local city. I was told by my counselor that it might not turn out well because of all the confidentiality issues so I wouldn't be allowed to even touch a single file on a patient. So I was wondering if there was anything at all I can dedicate myself to log in some medical related services.

Members don't see this ad.

Volunteer at at hospital or clinic. You could also contact local physicians (send a polite letter or something similar) and ask them if you could shadow them. Some places also offer CPR training, but this would cost you money.

I am actually a part of a high-school program where I go on health-care related trips/ training sessions (like getting trained in CPR for free).

Something I did in high school that was good experience was being a MDA (muscular dystrophy association) counselor. You spend a week with a camp full of kids with MD. Each kid has a counselor, so you get your own kid. You get to bond with them, be friends, and hang out with the other counselors. It was really pretty fun. In the midst of all that you're getting hands on patient experience (showering another human being, wiping their bottom, helping them in and out of bed, and hearing their struggles with their illness). I highly recommend it! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering which medical related community services are available in a general local city. I was told by my counselor that it might not turn out well because of all the confidentiality issues so I wouldn't be allowed to even touch a single file on a patient. So I was wondering if there was anything at all I can dedicate myself to log in some medical related services.

shadowing, clinic/hospital volunteering.
Summer medical/research programs
Get involved with things non-related to medicine as well. For example: Shelter/community service, advocacy center etc.

Community service, or service that you stick to for a long term committment, is more important than medically relevant community service, in my opinion. Find something that you feel really passionate about - whether it be helping people at a free clinic, building homes for habitat, volunteering at a soup kitchen, running a local food drive every month, or going to a nursing home once a week to read/talk with everyone.