Psychiatry-Related Books?

Jaememe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just a young highschool kid, but I've been very interested in Psychiatry lately. Not psychology, psychiatry. I've read around the Internet for a while now but I want a sort of book written by a psychiatrist that tells us about his experiences. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Grad HS. Grad Univ. Apply to med school. Pass boards. Apply to residency. Work as a psychiatrist.

You can google looking for the content you seek.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, friend. They won't give you them here... :/

Actually, scratch that, nevermind. Barnes and Noble should have some options.

Are you interested in psychiatry because you want to learn about psychopharmacology? Otherwise both fields deal with the human psyche. There aren't any books I'm aware of written by a psychiatrist about his clinical experiences for laymen, but you might want to check out Oliver Sacks who was a prominent neuroligist.

If you want to learn about psychiatry the golden standard is Kaplan and Sadock's textbook.

Ooh, I second the advice to read books by Oliver Sacks. Also, there is the author V.S. Ramachandran who is really good. Unfortunately these both deal more with neuroscience/neurology, but they're really great authors.

You can always read the DSM if you get bored. I have become fond of that little nugget.