Med/Peds Interview 2004

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also got rejected from UNC - my only rejection so far! Grrr. The only places I haven't heard from are Vanderbilt, Baylor and USC. Jimmybee so you know I got an invite from UAB a lil over a week ago.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, just found this med/peds thread... sounds like lots of us in the same boat.

My list:

1) UCLA (no news)
2) UCSD (interview offered)
3) Maricopa County (interview offered)
4) Good Sam/PHP (interview offered)
5) Harvard (no news)
6) Yale (no news)
7) Rochester (interview offered)
8) MMC (interview offered)
9) Rhode Island Hospital/Brown (interview offered)
10) UNC (interview offered)
11) Duke (interview offered)
12) Baystate/Tufts (interview offered)
13) University of Utah (interview offered)

Still no news from 3 biggies. Don't know how many of these I'll end up being able to do. My school is being nasty about missing only 2 days of a required clerkship in December... making it very hard. Considering making a stir about it, given the need to interview with 2 departments at about half of these places.

Anyone heard from UCLA, Yale, or Harvard?

Good luck everyone

Hi everyone.

I had used this site last year to share my impressions about various programs I visited during my interviewing trail around the country. I chose the Penn program and have loved it! It's a great combination of internal medicine and pediatric training at two excellent institutions (CHOP and HUP). If you have any questions about the program please feel free to respond to this message. Good luck to each of you in finding a perfect fit, and have fun meeting one another and seeing the other programs on the trail! I can also speak to the experiences of my colleagues at other institutions (Baylor, Duke, UCSD, and UCLA).

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of you know or correctly believe I'm a med-peds PD. Am wondering what criterion you are using to choose where to apply (besides geography), and where community programs fall in the process. I've seen very little mention of some very good (to my knowledge) community programs. Some of the large academic centers represented in this thread aren't well represented by their program directors at national meetings and some of us suspect these programs may not match the reputation of their institution.

I suppose this would make an interesting research project in my spare time :laugh:

Forncroj,
people in med-peds have told me to look for a program with a free-standing children's hospital. I really don't know much about community programs.

forncroj said:
Most of you know or correctly believe I'm a med-peds PD. Am wondering what criterion you are using to choose where to apply (besides geography), and where community programs fall in the process. I've seen very little mention of some very good (to my knowledge) community programs. Some of the large academic centers represented in this thread aren't well represented by their program directors at national meetings and some of us suspect these programs may not match the reputation of their institution.

I suppose this would make an interesting research project in my spare time :laugh:

Yes! That would be an interesting research!

Community programs have med-peds programs?? I would love to know which ones they are...I have always thought that only university programs could support something like a med-peds program because of the need for strength in both internal medicine and pediatrics categoricals.

It is also very scary to think that some of the large academic centers with good med-peds reputations are not well represented by their program directors at national meetings....would there be any way that applicants can find out more about how active faculty are at a national level?

In choosing to apply to programs...after basing it heavily on geography, I had no choice but to go by pure "reputation" as glimpsed from talking to peds and IM attendings and residents. My Dean is a good source of information on the financial stability of a hospital/medical school.

As for interviewing it's also very important for me to feel like I can "fit in" to a program. I look for supportive med-peds faculty, flexibility in self-designed electives and overall ability to foster personal growth and education for their residents. Also, I look at the quality of residents already at the program.

Hope this helps you some! :p

magnolia014 said:
Yes! That would be an interesting research!

Community programs have med-peds programs?? I would love to know which ones they are...I have always thought that only university programs could support something like a med-peds program because of the need for strength in both internal medicine and pediatrics categoricals.

It is also very scary to think that some of the large academic centers with good med-peds reputations are not well represented by their program directors at national meetings....would there be any way that applicants can find out more about how active faculty are at a national level?

In choosing to apply to programs...after basing it heavily on geography, I had no choice but to go by pure "reputation" as glimpsed from talking to peds and IM attendings and residents. My Dean is a good source of information on the financial stability of a hospital/medical school.

As for interviewing it's also very important for me to feel like I can "fit in" to a program. I look for supportive med-peds faculty, flexibility in self-designed electives and overall ability to foster personal growth and education for their residents. Also, I look at the quality of residents already at the program.

Hope this helps you some! :p

Obviously a tough process. Remember, community programs can also have strong categorical programs. Part of the equation also includes how well the program is coordinated between and supported by the categorical departments. Anyway, there are not a lot of community programs. Community programs may have university affiliations so in a list they look like university programs. Cedar-Sinai in LA is a well known community program (unfortunately will be phasing out their program :( ).

I don't think there is a way for applicants to know how active the PD's are in their national organization.

Does anyone have any particularly good questions to ask on inverviews? It's pretty hard to ask questions at programs that you are already familiar with.....

forncroj said:
As of Oct 10, the number of USMG was only 3 more than last year; the number of IMG's is up 14%. The avg number of applications per applicant is unchanged. The number of positions being offered may be down a bit - apparently the number of registered programs is down to 85, is usually in the nineties.
For your edification and amusement, some updated info from ERAS re med-peds applications.

2004 2005
US - IM/Peds 403 400
IMG - IM/Peds 336 396

shaminu said:
Hi all - I'm new to this forum, but coming from a non Med-Peds school, I'm a little lonely. I was hoping to get a little advice from you all. I have no idea how competitive an applicant I am for Med-Peds, and so far, I'm only applying to a few programs:
U Minn
Rush
U Mich Ann Arbor
U Rochester
Harvard
Brown
UNC Chapel Hill
I've got in-laws in the Midwest, family back East, but have been living in CA since undergrad - hence the willy-nilly geographic distribution. I'm at UCSF, and in the upper 20% or so of my class (we don't get official class rankings, but we do get an "adjective" on our Dean's letter - a little silly, I know). I got honors in core medicine and peds, as well as in senior medicine and peds. But my Step 1 scores weren't that great - 219. I directed a non-profit for four years before coming to med school, and have a decent amount of community service and social advocacy activities that I've done - but I'm not sure how much joint programs care about that stuff. Anyway, it's slim pickin's out here in terms of advice, so anything you have to offer would be greatly appreciated. Should I apply to more programs? which ones? what programs place an emphasis on community service/caring for the under-served? Thanks in advance for your help!

top 20% at UCSF, USMLE 219, and not that great?! Am I missing something here? :confused:

Help! I have 2 interview offers for the same date one at University South Florida and the other at St. Vincents - Manhattan. Which do you think I should take?

Members don't see this ad :)
What are some reasons why a medical sutdent should consider Med-Peds?

Everyone's quieted down... How is the progress going for everyone on their interview trail so far? Anybody know that place they would really like to go yet?

Does anyone know the policy for sending out thank you notes after interviews? Do you need to send out notes to everyone you interviewed with or just the program directors? Can you get away with sending only thank you notes to the places you liked?

Hi! I'm new to this forum. I am very interested in med-peds. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on fourth year electives? Do you recommend any med-peds electives that you enjoyed in particular? Thanks!

anyone out there????

I'm still here. Finally over my half way mark on the interview trail and still trying to decide where in the world I want to end up. Seen some good programs and programs I won't even rank. Hope everyone is doing GREAT!

Well, for me all my interviews are done. I have submitted my rank list. I am nervous about the whole match thing because the program that was my #1 choice going in (SIUH) ended their program this year. Anyway, good luck with all your ranking, and don't be strangers to the line.

MED-PEDS 4 life!!!!! :D

hello fellow med-peders...
this thread has quieted down a bit as everyone got busy with interviewing...
how is everyong doing now that the traveling and living out of a suitcases has ended...post-interview blues, anyone?

i'm having a hard time making up my mind about my rank list. maybe some of you have the same dilemma, or would be willing to give some advice to a lost soul. i interviewed at 15 med/peds programs all over the country and very much liked many of them. initially when i applied, i didn't think location would be a big factor for me and that i would be happy going to any good med/peds program. i couldn't have been more wrong! after completing my crazy treck around the country i find myself wishing that i had applied to at least some categorical programs in my area...although med/peds is what i really want to do. so now i am left with ranking first a med/peds program that matched only one of 4 spots in the past two years and although i did a second-look, i am still afraid that i might not be happy with the teaching environment at this hospital.

should i go for location anyway and try to think that an accredited program is an accredited program? or should i go more based on where i think i will get a better education and faculty support - although i may not always feel like i "fit in"?

I am also having similar concerns about ranking. I think that location and geography turn out to be more important than I imagined before.

I like certain programs but am concerned about their academic reputation.

I am ranking UT-Houston very highly. Has anyone heard good or bad stuff about this program? Also, did anyone interview at Albert Einstein in Philadelphia? I am wondering what others thought about this program.

Later...

KRS-1 said:
I am also having similar concerns about ranking. I think that location and geography turn out to be more important than I imagined before.

I like certain programs but am concerned about their academic reputation.

I am ranking UT-Houston very highly. Has anyone heard good or bad stuff about this program? Also, did anyone interview at Albert Einstein in Philadelphia? I am wondering what others thought about this program.

Later...

I don't know anything about the schools in the south....and I was told not to apply to Albert Einstein from faculty at my school...I go to school in the Philly area. I kind of wish I applied there now...since I feel like my choices are so limited. From what I gather, the medicine program is "weak", but the peds program is through St. Chris - a free standing children's hospital with a good reputation....I think....sorry I'm not much help!

Anybody have thoughts on University of Maryland, Cincinnati, Minnesota, or Rush?

Screw location! I'm going for strength of program and spending a lot of money on airfare!

After lots of thoughts and internal struggle, I've finally certified my list. My top choice isn't an academic program, but it felt like "home" and I decided that it was the best fit for me. So, I'm going to be crossing my fingers for the next month. There are honestly about six schools I would be very happy at, so hopefully I'll end up at one of them. Good luck to all of you guys as you finalize your selections!

KRS-1 I have heard good things about UT-Houston. I didn't end up interviewing there bc of money issues and geography but those who I talked to really liked the program.
What are your guys feelings about staying at your home program vs going away? I know people say its good to train at a different school than where you went to medical school bc its good to get a different view. But at the same time its hard to go away. I've been in the midwest my whole life, my family is all here so it'd be easier to stay here. Its one of my struggles that I've been dealing with. But I did start putting in my rank list last week and it was definitely the biggest decision of my life. I saw some good programs and some bad programs but if I get anywhere in my top 4 I'd be extremely thrilled. Its such a mixed set of feelings - scared, anxious and excited about match. But in one month from today hopefully it'll all get better.

magnolia014 said:
I don't know anything about the schools in the south....and I was told not to apply to Albert Einstein from faculty at my school...I go to school in the Philly area. I kind of wish I applied there now...since I feel like my choices are so limited. From what I gather, the medicine program is "weak", but the peds program is through St. Chris - a free standing children's hospital with a good reputation....I think....sorry I'm not much help!

Anybody have thoughts on University of Maryland, Cincinnati, Minnesota, or Rush?

Screw location! I'm going for strength of program and spending a lot of money on airfare!

Hey Magnolia - Re: Minnesota - after much anguish, I decided I love them. (The anguish comes from the fact that I'm currently living in Northern California...and Minneapolis, while a fine city in its own right, well, it doesn't really compare...) The program has a great atmosphere - the Med-Peds residents are uniformly bright - and all very nice. The program director is fantastic. The new Peds Director has really ramped up the didactics. I think the real kicker for me was the combination of a livable metropolitan location, a strong academic environment, a strong thread of social awareness, and flexibility within the program. I'm trying not to get too excited about it since March 17th could potentially crush my spirit....

BTW: I also loved Rochester's program (I actually liked them best) but my partner can't really get behind living in upstate NY. Honestly, if I were single, I think I'd be ranking Rochester #1. And I liked Harvard's program - but they were much less flexible than any of the other programs I visited. I think if you didn't care about doing outside projects or research that Harvard would be a great place. I didn't care for Rush...they just didn't seem to have the same range of patients...but I think if you knew for sure you wanted to do outpatient primary care that Rush would probably give you the ideal exposure. I know you've heard it before, but I think in determining "the strongest" program, you really need to figure out what you want to get out of it. Those are just my thoughts on it...but I feel like I'm finally understanding what all my professors had been saying all along - that there is no single "best" program - but there are programs that may be best for you. Good luck figuring out your list...and good luck in the match!

hi guys! i'm new to the forum-wish i had found it earlier!

has anyone gotten any letters/emails/calls from unc med-peds, baylor med-peds or vanderbilt med-peds? i've heard that unc doesn't generally tend to send out stuff saying that they are ranking you highly...true?

thanks!
good luck with everyone's rank list!

hey all...
anyone rank u of chicago and rush in their top few choices?
just curious really....

Anyone planning on Baystate?

hey, I applied in IM alone, but I did a month of Neuro out at Baystate and had a great time. The Med/Peds program is reportedly one of the best out there. I ended up ranking their IM program relatively low b/c I felt a little uncomfortable with the program's recent preference for grads of University College Dublin even though they are a Tufts affiliate. Because of that, I don't think I'd match there even if I ranked them higher. Also, I didn't feel that I would fit in at all as an unmarried US grad. However, these issues don't seem to carry over as much to Med/Peds. Overall, a great place to work; hope those of you who want to go match there.

jimmybee said:
Anyone planning on Baystate?

Baystate was my number one choice. Keeping my fingers crossed for the next few weeks.

Greetings,

I'm a new contributor to this forum; I had some insight into a couple of your questions and thought I would hop into the fray. With regard to Minnesota, I also was very pleasantly surprised with this program and ended up ranking it #3. They have great residents, an awesome program director, lots of training sites, and Minneapolis is a very cool city (but also a very COLD city, so if you can't handle that you probably shouldn't go). My only concern was the fact that they didn't have a combined continuity clinic that all the residents attended together (rather, they are sent out in the commuity to work with MedPeds trained practicioners or alternate weeks between medicine and peds), but I don't think this is a major problem. As for Cincinnati, I really liked that program as well, but obviously the Peds overshadows the IM. The MedPeds faculty and residents were great, though, and they are obviously a tight knit group. The program director seems to have put a ton of thought into the curriculum and recognizes the special needs of MedPeds residents. I've heard very mixed comments about the city, and I've concluded that while it's probably not as bad as a lot of people say, there are other places in the country where I would rather live.
I am fairly certain that Vanderbilt does not send out feedback, although someone might be able to prove me wrong. I did get a fairly encouraging letter from UNC, although it certainly didn't go as far as telling me where I would be ranked.
Anyway, I guess none of this really matters as the rank lists are already in, but I hope that you at least find it informative. Good luck to everyone!

irlandesa said:
... preference for grads of University College Dublin even though they are a Tufts affiliate...

Interesting... I wonder if you can qualify what you mean by "preference."

Regardless, Baystate Med-Peds is high on my list..

QAFMD2005 said:
Interesting... I wonder if you can qualify what you mean by "preference."

Regardless, Baystate Med-Peds is high on my list..

Baystate's IM PD goes over to Ireland to conduct special recruiting sessions and on-site interviews at University College Dublin. During interview season, Dublin grads (both USIMG's and Irish citizens) who interviewed in Ireland attend the regular interview day, but instead of interviewing with a faculty member, they round with a team and arrangements are made in advance for them to meet with Irish medical residents. Based on the information I have (and this is for IM only), Baystate IM didn't have to go that far into their rank list for a change this past year, and at least 4 categorical residents are from Ireland (only 1 US Cat. Resident).

To clarify, I am in no way uncomfortable with the idea of working with Irish grads (in fact, quite the opposite, I am of Irish descent and dig the country, their medical education is fabulous); I just would appreciate it if Baystate would demonstrate the same welcoming attitude toward Tufts grads, as it is a major affiliate, and we are paying quite the tuition for the opportunity to train at Baystate. Nonetheless, the IM attendings are the best I've met so far, and I would be happy to end up there. Those of you who match there for Med/Peds are going to get unbeatable training. Good luck!

So where did everyone end up??? I'll start it off:

UNC

Congrats to all!

I ended up at IU. I'm sure it will be great.

Rock on Med-Peds

I will be going to UT-Houston

Anyone else going there?