MD without specialization + MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pholmes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Im an IMG MD Graduate. My aim was to always somehow make it to the US, & tat was one of the reason why i took up Medicine in the first place.

Now i have realized im more interested in the management/business side of things, like for instance, following the stock prices etc.

So finally i have decided that the best decision for me would be to get into an MBA program.

So my question is does it matter whether or not i have done a medicine specialization wen i apply for a job as MD+MBA in the US?

Also wat would be the basic salary i could expect with my basic MD (without specialization) with MBA?

Tnx so much for ur help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm, so u mean to say tat der is no particular advantage tat having an MD + MBA combo would give us?

I was under the impression tat companies such as in the Pharma industry are on the lookout for MD doctors who also have an additional MBA.

Too bad if der wont be any actual salary difference for doctors with MBA even after undergoing all those gruelling 5 yrs in Med School!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was under the impression tat companies such as in the Pharma industry are on the lookout for MD doctors who also have an additional MBA.
!

They are on the lookout for experienced, board-certified physicians with an MBA. The board certification and medical experience (post-residency) is more important than the MBA.

Tnx michael for all ur advice. It really means a lot.

Tnx michael for all ur advice. It really means a lot.

You could look into healthcare consulting...they value MDs in the healthcare sector, perhaps more in some cases than someone with just a "regular" MBA, as often these individuals have no exposure to healthcare. Just a thought.

Hi,

Im an IMG MD Graduate. My aim was to always somehow make it to the US, & tat was one of the reason why i took up Medicine in the first place.

Now i have realized im more interested in the management/business side of things, like for instance, following the stock prices etc.

So finally i have decided that the best decision for me would be to get into an MBA program.

So my question is does it matter whether or not i have done a medicine specialization wen i apply for a job as MD+MBA in the US?

Also wat would be the basic salary i could expect with my basic MD (without specialization) with MBA?

Tnx so much for ur help.

The basic salary for a MBA with or without a MD would depend entirely on what job you can land. There really is no dependable prediction on post-MBA salaries, since you can do anything from marketing to investment banking. And Michaelrack is right about the MD. Unless you have extensive industry experience by way of practicing medicine, the MD degree really doesn't do much for you. It simply doesn't add any value to have an employee who has only has academic exposure to the health care industry.