MD seeking MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robberbaron

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting residency in June and would love to earn an MBA. I would like to hear from anyone who would care to share their views/experiences concerning the pursuit an MBA a bit later in one's career, say during residency or even after. Has anyone here taken a leave of absence from residency to pursue an MBA? If so, how difficult was it to finish up your clincial training afterwards? Alternatively, have any of you pursued an MBA after finishing residency with a subsequent return to practice--again, how difficult was the adjustment?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Bump. I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on this matter as well.

-Ice

Pursued MBA one year AFTER finishing residency while still working full-time. Johns Hopkins Carey Business School offers a MBA program for those working full-time and the courses are geared as such. Highly recommend the program.

Classes are in the evenings and takes 4 years to complete. Campus where classes are taught are found in both Baltimore, MD as well as Dupont Circle in Washington DC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pursued MBA one year AFTER finishing residency while still working full-time. Johns Hopkins Carey Business School offers a MBA program for those working full-time and the courses are geared as such. Highly recommend the program.

Classes are in the evenings and takes 4 years to complete. Campus where classes are taught are found in both Baltimore, MD as well as Dupont Circle in Washington DC.

Do you/did you find the degree useful? Also, how did the residency program look upon your decision? Thanks for your response, by the way.

-Ice

Residency program didn't care... mainly because I started the degree while in private practice...

The degree is not so much useful as the courses themselves. Homework is actually to make real changes in the office or hospital based on classroom theory and such. I found it very helpful in just running my office in a more efficient and profitable manner.

I know that this degree is usually geared for MDs in practice, but do you know if they accept post-residency fellows doing their fellowship at Hopkins as MBA students? (ex. cardio fellow, GI fellow, etc) Thanks in advance :)

Hmmmm. I have no idea...

I went through in the opposite order, so I can't comment on the specific question of doing the MBA AFTER residency.

However, in my observation, the skills to which you are exposed (and have to then develop in practice after the MBA - just like in medicine, you can't do it all just cuz you have the degree) in business school are critical to much of medicine, and even basic research, today but are NOT covered in any depth, if at all, during traditional didactics (med school).

If you want to run: a private practice, a research lab, a hospital, your own business in health care as writ broad, a department - the skill set is very valuable.

Depends on what you want, though. If the above aren't on your list, then maybe it's not worth the time/$$ (neither of which are insignificant, in most cases).

On a side note, and closer to the OP, I'm returning to residency after a few years doing managment consulting and working at a LARGE pharma in management, and I can say that there is definitely some rust to work off. It's kind of like riding a bike, though, as long as you're not too long away.

All in, I think it's a great addition for MOST (not all) practicing physicians.

Good luck!

P

Primate,

Just curious, why return after so many years after med school? How did the interview process go for you as I would assume that PDs are fairly conservative? Thanks.

DP