MD/PhD with low step 1 score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

northerk

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster. MD/PhD student with step 1 score = 213 wondering if there have been any updates to best practices for fixing this or reasonable expectations going forward since the last post like this (2014, I think). So far clinical interests are varied (IM? neuro?), while research interests are better defined (genetics, neurosci).

Burning question: Can I still aim to do research residency?

And much less urgent, but of interest: Is it even remotely reasonable to try to live coastal (preferably west)?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes -- as long as your interests remain in non-competitive specialities, you will be able to go to a top program on the coasts.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Agree... Some specialties are off your list, like Ophthalmology, Dermatology, Radiological Oncology, Neurosurgery, etc. However, for core specialties you are going to be fine such as IM, Pediatrics, etc. You might do the initial residency at a state institution, and fellowship/postdoc still at an Ivy program.
The following 2 tables might be of great interest to you:
• Table B2: USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 CK Scores of First-Year Residents, by Specialty (step 1 vertical, step 2 horiz.) - Data and Analysis - AAMC (play with the different specialties tabs)
• Table B4: MD-PhD Residents, by GME Specialty - Data and Analysis - AAMC

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Long time lurker, first time poster. MD/PhD student with step 1 score = 213 wondering if there have been any updates to best practices for fixing this or reasonable expectations going forward since the last post like this (2014, I think). So far clinical interests are varied (IM? neuro?), while research interests are better defined (genetics, neurosci).

Burning question: Can I still aim to do research residency?

Depends on specialty. A high step 2 can help.

And much less urgent, but of interest: Is it even remotely reasonable to try to live coastal (preferably west)?

You're probably going to have to make some tradeoffs. Specialty vs. Residency prestige/research opportunities vs. Location.

I recommend not thinking too much about Radiological Oncology though. It doesn't exist ;)

@Neuronix @Fencer @ValentinNarcisse

Thanks very much for the input and links. The AAMC data was helpful in gauging my options/standing, and it was very reassuring to know research is still on the table.

Last edited:
I will let you know. I’m applying this round, and basically in your situation. PM me for more details.

Last year, US medical schools had a 96% match rate. US Residency programs tend to fill US graduates before foreign medical schools. Therefore, the only reason I can think of on that 4% that did not match was because their letters of recommendation and/or their dean's letter was lousy.

Look at the 2017 residency match data to see which ones are out of your reach.

Similar situation, commenting so I can follow if more updates come along. [Step 1= 209, average grades 1st 2 yrs of med school].

I really hope this is true. My interview experience has been that the PhD really helps at research-heavy programs (but doesn't make a difference elsewhere). Here's hoping I make it to one of those "top programs on the coasts." I'll try to remember to update after match day.

How did it work out for you?!