MD/PhD: Wash U vs. UCLA vs. UW vs. Tri-I vs. Penn (waitlisted)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where should I go for MD/PhD? (if you select Penn, please pick another also)

• Penn (waitlisted)

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Tri-I

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • UCLA

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • UW

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Wash U

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

grizzly1093

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've removed my spiel for privacy reasons. Thanks for your comments, everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
From my perspective, the Tri-I program is well-run and highly-regarded. Their students match at great residency programs, like the others on your list. Disclaimer: I do not work for the Tri-I, but I know the people who run the program pretty well. (As i do the others on your list.)

If you use a 5-point scale for your rankings, there is almost no discernible difference in the aggregate scores. Re the options for your spouse, you might want to look at the acceptance rates, average MCATs, etc., for the other schools in those cities & decide how likely she is to being admitted. Tough decision. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
The more options you have for your spouse the better. I had a great relationship with a pre-med when I was an MSTP in Philly. She couldn't get a position anywhere within five hours of Philadelphia and that destroyed our relationship. I hope you have better luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
From my perspective, the Tri-I program is well-run and highly-regarded. Their students match at great residency programs, like the others on your list. Disclaimer: I do not work for the Tri-I, but I know the people who run the program pretty well. (As i do the others on your list.)
Thank you for your input! I don't have any worries about the rep or structure of the program, just how available the leadership might be considering it's a smaller team. I'm glad they have your vote of confidence!

If you use a 5-point scale for your rankings, there is almost no discernible difference in the aggregate scores.
That's my impression, too, which is why I've made little headway narrowing my list. It's really splitting hairs (perhaps arbitrarily) at this point.

Re the options for your spouse, you might want to look at the acceptance rates, average MCATs, etc., for the other schools in those cities & decide how likely she is to being admitted. Tough decision. Good luck!

We'll do that. Thanks for your guidance!

Kind of related to this all, UW has a massive in-state bias with their medical school - as in, they accept <10 people from out-of-state every year. I think their requirements for being considered in state are also quite stringent - I don't know if your spouse would be able to apply as in-state after you guys have been there for only two years. I would definitely check on this, because if she has to apply as out-of-state, not only is it her only option in Seattle, it is also incredibly unlikely.

That being said, all of these options are incredible and you really can't go wrong for yourself among any of these five institutions. (which is not the most helpful sentiment, I know). But I have to agree with Neuronix that you may want to consider options that will be most helpful for your wife's chances in that case. Based on that, and the other things you've written, my vote for you goes out to Tri-I or WashU. I think being happy with the current students is REALLY important (which is my concern for you with UCLA), and as I mentioned above, UW may be a really hard school to bank on.

I don't know if this was helpful at all, but know that you're in a great position! Best of luck with your final decision.

NYC is a big transport hub, it is really easy and usually (much) cheaper to fly in and out from NY than from other cities with LGA, JFK, Newark. With that said, Philly if pans out, seems like the best option

Proximity to family is somewhat important to me (Washington), very important to wife (Oklahoma)

Considering you and your wife are also technically family to each other (may have changed since the last time I checked the legal definition) -- I'd argue that proximity to each other should be the primary factor driving your decision. With that as the sole criterion, Tri-I is the best option. Plenty of options in NY/NJ and many more if you permit a 100-mile radius. Tri-I's strength in SB is a bonus.

A bit of perspective: being cooped up together in relatively small living quarters in a bustling city far away from your respective families may not sound like your cup of tea, but I'll bet it beats spending money on gas/airfare to try to be a weekend couple for half a decade or longer.

Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 users