MD/PhD student conference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surge

Medicinski Znanstvenik
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, is it possible that no other SDNers were in Keystone last week? Or did we just not meet...? :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

A few of the MD/PhDers from my school went. I missed our last school meeting, so I didn't get a chance to hear how it went.

On a tangential note. Our school is trying to either link up with an already existing national society for MD/PhD students, or create one with the help of other institutions. Any ideas, info, answers, etc?

Thanks in advance,

-Salty

Members don't see this ad :)
surge said:
So, is it possible that no other SDNers were in Keystone last week? Or did we just not meet...? :oops:

I was there in 2001 (it was in Aspen). Lots of fun (and quite a few bears!!!). But were are only allowed to go once during our tenure.

Yeah, the Aspen conference hosted by the Colorado MSTP folks was a lot of fun. The hosts and folks I met there were really cool. I got to go in 2002 and only got to go again in 2003 because there was not enough interest and they had enough money to send 6 people.

SaltySqueegee said:
A few of the MD/PhDers from my school went. I missed our last school meeting, so I didn't get a chance to hear how it went.

On a tangential note. Our school is trying to either link up with an already existing national society for MD/PhD students, or create one with the help of other institutions. Any ideas, info, answers, etc?

Thanks in advance,

-Salty

Our representatives to Keystone mentioned this at our retreat. I don't know the details, but I do know that a national group is being started. Sketchy details, but I know it is out there.

BandGeek said:
Our representatives to Keystone mentioned this at our retreat. I don't know the details, but I do know that a national group is being started. Sketchy details, but I know it is out there.

Yeap, there was a meeting about this while we were there. But you're right - I couldn't tell you much more - the details are still very much being worked out.
This year was a lot of fun. The keynote speakers were really cool, and the whole setup in Keystone was great. They even got a local brewery to donate free beer every night (excellent beer, too)

Dern it, I didn't know there were inter-school MD/PhD conferences! Our program director oughta know about this.

Can anyone post a link to a website or suggest another source of information about these meetings?

If you go to the University of Colorado MSTP homepage, you should see links to the appropriate webpages. I don't remember the site off hand; I usually get there by google searching "colorado mstp"

I was there this year. Free Fat Tire for the last 2 days - very tasty. Our director gave us some highlights from the directors' meeting on possible changes in the future. A few highlights:

The NIH may mandate some new course requirements in the future. These may include training in clinical research(defined as "shaking the hand of the patient"), bioinformatics training, and behavioral training (apparently the American Psychological Society has a very strong lobby). And these are just the possible changes that may happen even before the possible administration change.

This was also the first year that the directors had access to AMCAS data specific to MD-PhD applicants. There are approximately 2000 applicants for 500 spots. Of these, 1500 are screened out - and the consensus is that these people are the same at each school. So basically, the same 500 people are competing for the spots, so increasing the number of spots means taking on 'inadequate' candidates.

One more thing. The MSTP budget is flat. That means that even if a school gains MSTP accredidation, the number of total slots remains the same.