MD/PhD post bacc opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureMSTP

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have two more years until I graduate in the spring of 2021. I have over a year of research in a neurobiology lab where I know the pi so well I can get a great LOR from them. I'm very realistic. I didn't get the best grades in my sophomore year so I won't have a competitive GPA for M.D./Ph.D. At best, I can graduate with a 3.5 cgpa and 3.3 sgpa. I will take the MCAT next summer where I intend to get a great score. Assuming I can get MCAT 520+, gain clinical experience (currently shadowing an MD/PhD chief resident), and pursue two years of research after my bachelor's I will have a fighting chance at mid-tier or low-tier MD/PhD. (I'm not really interested in applying to top-tier institutions anyway). So right now, I am planning what I'm going to do for my gap years so I have the best shot at getting into an MD/PhD program. If it helps, I'm a biomedical engineering major and a URM.

My options:
  • Do a master's program at a public research university in a field of biomedical science. I intend on getting a GPA of 3.8+. I know graduate GPA and undergraduate GPA are calculated differently but it looks good if I get As in these graduate coursework.
  • Work as a research assistant either at a medical school or biomedical science graduate school. Take advantage of the employee tuition waiver and take upper-division bio/chem coursework to raise my undergraduate and science GPA. If they don't have an employee tuition waiver then I just take classes at a local university.
  • Intern at NIH through the IRTA post-bacc for two years at pursue research in neuroscience. Take advantage of all the workshops to make the best AAMCAS application. I might take classes at the University of Mayland or other local universities in the Maryland or DC area. I know the faes classes at the NIH are cheap but since they aren't accredited nationwide I doubt schools will accept those credits.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

The NIH Post-bac is the choice that will make you most competitive. Your GPA is low but not atrocious. The NIH will be paying you and provide you with the best training experience. Make sure that you truly interact with OITE. The FAES classes (and CC or Univ) are added to your transcripts and are averaged with your undergraduate GPA. PM me if you need. If you get a 520, you might just need to do a year at NIH. While you go/apply with the mindset of a 2-year experience, if you are ready, they are not going to hold you back.

Reactions: 3 users
The NIH Post-bac is the choice that will make you most competitive. Your GPA is low but not atrocious. The NIH will be paying you and provide you with the best training experience. Make sure that you truly interact with OITE. The FAES classes (and CC or Univ) are added to your transcripts and are averaged with your undergraduate GPA. PM me if you need. If you get a 520, you might just need to do a year at NIH. While you go/apply with the mindset of a 2-year experience, if you are ready, they are not going to hold you back.

are you in this cycle and saw that AMCAS had averaged your FAES gpa into undergrad? I haven't been able to get a clear answer on this, but I'm taking a biochem course (301) there and didnt know if I could count on it being averaged into my undergrad "postbox" gpa. I know its not the end of the world if its considered grad but I need a bump in undergrad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the NIH is viewed by a lot of people as an easy option for employment for a few years after they graduate. I would encourage you to consider the NIH but also look into a position as a research tech at a university/medical school. Labs at top tier institutions all over the country from UCSF and Stanford to MSKCC and DFCI are always looking for promising graduates to work for 1-2 years before continuing their education, and I would wager that many of these labs are more productive than those at the NIH. Of course your lab experience is largely what you make of it, however.

Reactions: 1 users
You should also look into the research post-bacc program at The Jackson Laboratory! They have a fairly new paid post-bacc program geared towards preparing people for MD-PhD. They have several great neuro labs, taking a genetic angle of course.

Reactions: 1 users