MD, PhD, or both??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdorphd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated with a major in Biomedical Engineering from an ivy league school. I decided to work for two years in a lab to try and clear my head and decide what to do. I am very interested in medicine as well as clinically-based research. My GPA in college isn't very good (3.27), but it's my science GPA that kills me (below 3). Ironically, my major GPA is a 3.6, so the bioengineering classes really pulled me up. I haven't taken any standardized tests yet, but am thinking of taking the MCAT (and maybe the GRE) in April. I have a lot of research experience (worked in a lab during all of college, 2 summers, and now this lab), have given 2 podium presentations at conferences as well as poster presentations, and have publications (1st author on 1) as well as papers I will be submitting soon.

My ideal career would be one where I saw patients and then did research based on what I saw in my patients (although I've heard this is hard to do). So my decision is: which degree(s) should I go for??? :confused: Do I have any chance of getting into a good MD/PhD program? What do people with a MD/PhD normally go into?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks so much! :)

Members don't see this ad.

mdorphd said:
I just graduated with a major in Biomedical Engineering from an ivy league school. I decided to work for two years in a lab to try and clear my head and decide what to do. I am very interested in medicine as well as clinically-based research. My GPA in college isn't very good (3.27), but it's my science GPA that kills me (below 3). Ironically, my major GPA is a 3.6, so the bioengineering classes really pulled me up. I haven't taken any standardized tests yet, but am thinking of taking the MCAT (and maybe the GRE) in April. I have a lot of research experience (worked in a lab during all of college, 2 summers, and now this lab), have given 2 podium presentations at conferences as well as poster presentations, and have publications (1st author on 1) as well as papers I will be submitting soon.

My ideal career would be one where I saw patients and then did research based on what I saw in my patients (although I've heard this is hard to do). So my decision is: which degree(s) should I go for??? :confused: Do I have any chance of getting into a good MD/PhD program? What do people with a MD/PhD normally go into?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks so much! :)

Well about your science gpa..I don't know, if it's under a 3.0, you might have to get a killer mcat score to sheild the low gpa. By a killer mcat, I am talking you having to get at least a 35 MCAT score. Your research is excellent , even good enough for the upper tiers. By the way what exact research did you do all of those years? So, if you could manage to get a very good mcat score 35+, then that will sort of offshoot your gpa, and i could see you eventually getting into some md/phd programs. Regarding your interests, I am in the same boat. I'de like to do clinical work and research, but that might be hard to do, like you said. I would still suggest going md/phd with your interests. Otherwise, get a great mcat score, and you should have almost no problems getting in.

Good luck!

I was reading up about MSTP programs...most don't require the GRE (in fact I have yet to find one that does). However, some programs say that you can still submit a score, and some will prefer it. Does anyone have any suggestions on taking the GRE, especially since my GPA is on the lower side? And for you current MD/PhD people, did you take the GREs? If so, when and did admissions committees look at them?

Members don't see this ad :)
There is absolutely no reason to take the GRE.
A good score won't help a potentially lower MCAT, and a bad score will pull a good MCAT score down (not that it ever happens).

Anyway, I think an overwhelming majority of successful applicants never took the GRE.

As far as your question, based on the title of the thread, I'd say as soon as you said you want to do clinical work, you ruled the PhD (alone) out. Not that it helps much.... It's a hard decision.

Umich and Case(?) BME programs both require the GRE. Is there an advantage to taking the GRE late when you have an excellent MCAT score? e.g. December or January.

I think it's optional for most programs.

I don't think it makes a huge difference, but I would say take it if you think it's going to help you. If you generally tend to do well on standardized tests and think it will enhance your app, do it. If you're a nervous Nellie and tend to score below your abilities, skip it.

I'm a reasonably good test-taker myself, so I took it just for that reason. At least one of imy interviewers had a favorable reaction, but I doubt it made an enormous difference to my application in the long run.

Thanks for the advice everyone! That's one standardized test that I might not have to worry about...too bad there's the MCAT. However, I might want to take the GRE just in case I decide to go the PhD route...so if I take it, do I have to release my scores if I go for the MD or MD/PhD?