MD or MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

has

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently undecided about MD or MD/PhD. I was thinking of making that decision after getting accepted to the programs at the medical school. If accepted to both MD and PhD, do I have a choice in accepting MD only if I choose to since some schools make sure that I qualify for MD prior to making sure about PhD??

Members don't see this ad.

has said:
I am currently undecided about MD or MD/PhD. I was thinking of making that decision after getting accepted to the programs at the medical school. If accepted to both MD and PhD, do I have a choice in accepting MD only if I choose to since some schools make sure that I qualify for MD prior to making sure about PhD??

I would think you would be able to just choose MD, but I could also see why they wouldn't let you do that. It's probably a local policy thing.

Why do you want to do both? I think that would help us give you some advice.

has said:

I know a Penn MS-2 who did just that. Was accepted MSTP, did much soul-searching, decided he only wanted the MD. He didn't seem to indicate that anyone had any problem with it.
--Ari