This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hikeman544

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are multiple threads about this but they seem to be quite general. I was wondering if anyone could provide a testimonial on their experience as an MD/MBA. This post is specifically for those who got into medical school and then decided to possibly do their schools Dual Degree program. When did you do it? After year 2? year 4?

I would also like to know what some possible career paths are and how the MBA degree helped you achieve that career path. Was it the contacts? the business acumen you learned? I do not have any technical business background from undergrad but I am generally into economics and global markets. I am particularly interested in a path where I can have a management sort of position and still see patients. Seeing patients is more important to me than anything else and I already know that I want to specialize in something that mixes in clinical work with procedures. I do have a passion for entrepreneurship though and would like to do meaningful, impactful work.

Honestly, the tuition/student loan discussion is not one I want to have with regards to this. Although if anyone has had a particularly poor experience and feels as though their MBA degree is useless, I would appreciate your input as well.
Appreciate any info I can get.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding of the purpose of B-school is generally for the contacts you make (top 20) or if you're already in a career path where an MBA will move you up (they pay for you to go). For some people in finance (IB, PE, hedge funds), it's considered a waste of time and money. One person I know got an MD/MBA from a top 10 school, currently doing his residency and will probably consult on the side.

For the record, I only have a bachelor's, and these are what I've learned in conversations with friends and supervisors in finance/business.