MD/MBA Program not at top school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdmbamaybe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm an MS2 right now. In the future I am interested in moving from clinical medicine to the biotech industry. I don't see myself as a researcher, but rather using my skills in a management or executive position. I have an engineering major from undergrad and really want to be able to use it along with clinical acumen that I gain and my interest in business.

My medical school offers an MD/MBA program for 1 additional year and around $45k for tuition and room/board. The only part that I am hesitant about is whether it is worth it. The school is a solid mid tier medical school, and according to forbes and similar sites the MBA program is ranked around 20-35 in the country.

I know that MBA programs are generally for making connections and networking. Is it more worth it to go for the MBA program, or would it be a better use of my time to spend a year doing research that would help my chances for residency? I'm looking toward ophtho/pm&r/derm.

Thank you for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
bump! Anyone?

Im just another MD/MBA student but personally, if I were not at top 5 business school, I would not say that it is worth it. Unless you think you will need the MBA credentials for an admin position down the line, anything you truly need can be obtained for free at your school's or local library.

The issue is that most people just aren't committed to doing that so they sign up for business school to have the information fed to them. Of course going to business school will expose you to people who think differently than those within medicine, but you have to ask yourself is it worth the additional $45k.

Also, you have to have a very solid and well thought out response to why did you get the MBA particularly when applying to derm/plastics type of places as they want to be sure you are not in it for the money.

My personal suggestion would be to take a year off to do research to make yourself more competitive for residency but in that time, read books on basic business knowledge and also consider taking a few classes at your business school if they will allow this. If you do later on find that you "need" an MBA, there are many executive programs available to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you are worried about prestige, wait and take the degree when you are actually on a management track somewhere

In biotech, they will pay for your MBA. If you're going to a startup, employee # matters, so try to enter ASAP. Mid-tier MBAs are usually good regionally, but biotechs are in huge hubs like SF and Boston, so you'll have so much pedigree around you, a mid-tier MBA might not look great or give you connections you need.

In biotech, they will pay for your MBA. If you're going to a startup, employee # matters, so try to enter ASAP. Mid-tier MBAs are usually good regionally, but biotechs are in huge hubs like SF and Boston, so you'll have so much pedigree around you, a mid-tier MBA might not look great or give you connections you need.

An MBA isn't always the answer, IMO.

Last edited: