MD/MBA prereqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wanker

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm an undergrad senior considering a lot of options within medicine, but one day i plan on owning my own practice, then perhaps getting into hospital administration or something along those lines later in life. I've only really started thinking about the busines side of things lately. The relsult of that is I have taken crazy amounts of science courses, but little to no college level business classes. Are MD/MBA combined programs a little more lenient on prereqs than a straight MBA, or are you still expected to have around 30hrs of business classes?
any input would be appreciated
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

wanker said:
Hi, I'm an undergrad senior considering a lot of options within medicine, but one day i plan on owning my own practice, then perhaps getting into hospital administration or something along those lines later in life. I've only really started thinking about the busines side of things lately. The relsult of that is I have taken crazy amounts of science courses, but little to no college level business classes. Are MD/MBA combined programs a little more lenient on prereqs than a straight MBA, or are you still expected to have around 30hrs of business classes?
any input would be appreciated
thanks

they definitely are more lenient. Don't worry about the pre-reqs. Med school is by far the harder school to get into. At this point, enjoy your last few months of undergrad, get an internship if you want to do something business related and get ready for the ride they call med school :eek:

In general, there are no prereqs for business school. at least not in the same way there are for medical school. Many liberal arts schools don't offer any business courses, so MBA programs certainly can't expect everyone to have 30 units of them. Since the first year of B-school is very quantitative, you just need to prove you can handle that (your sciences courses should be enough for that), and you'll want to have a few intro econ courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
dr_pepper said:
In general, there are no prereqs for business school. at least not in the same way there are for medical school. Many liberal arts schools don't offer any business courses, so MBA programs certainly can't expect everyone to have 30 units of them. Since the first year of B-school is very quantitative, you just need to prove you can handle that (your sciences courses should be enough for that), and you'll want to have a few intro econ courses.
Well ... that is true and some programs actually have "pre-term" where you go in a month early to make sure you are on the same footing to give you a background in business ... ie Penn has a preterm -
http://mba.wharton.upenn.edu/mba/academics/curriculum/pre-term.php

For some it is hard to make transition to medicine to business but as long as you work hard and study you will do fine. Its just a different way of thinking to some people if you have been doing biology your whole life! :)

Some top B-schools require career experience prior to admission, although I haven't heard that about combined programs.