MD/MBA Not Offered At School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RP29

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I will be matriculating into my state medical school in August 2013. I am interested in pursuing an MD/MBA, however there is no joint program at my school. Am I disqualified from pursuing this option during the same time that I complete my MD? Also, I have absolutely 0 business background (have not taken any business classes or had a real job). Does this also disqualify me from pursuing this option? Any help on these matters is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello All,

I will be matriculating into my state medical school in August 2013. I am interested in pursuing an MD/MBA, however there is no joint program at my school. Am I disqualified from pursuing this option during the same time that I complete my MD? Also, I have absolutely 0 business background (have not taken any business classes or had a real job). Does this also disqualify me from pursuing this option? Any help on these matters is greatly appreciated.

If your school allows it, which almost all medical schools do, you can take time off between your 3rd and 4th year to pursue other things, including an MBA. You won't save the extra year doing an MBA at an outside institution, but it allows you to graduate medical school with both an MD and an MBA.

MD/MBA's are getting pretty popular nowadays, and most of the MD applicants to MBA programs have very limited business experience. Most MBA programs know this, but are willing to overlook that fact because you are an MD candidate. Medical students tend to do quite well in MBA applications it seems.

You might consider an MPH with an administration focus. Most schools offer this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello All,

Not to put you on the spot... but why do you want to seek an MBA?

Not to put you on the spot... but why do you want to seek an MBA?

Thank you for all of your replies. I'm not entirely sure if an MD/MBA is for me, rather I want to explore this option and learn more about its advantages/disadvantages. Are you currently pursuing this degree track, and if so, what are your impressions of it? Thanks again.

Thank you for all of your replies. I'm not entirely sure if an MD/MBA is for me, rather I want to explore this option and learn more about its advantages/disadvantages. Are you currently pursuing this degree track, and if so, what are your impressions of it? Thanks again.

Not currently for me. I do intend to pursue an MBA, but if that will be during med school or during residency is yet TBD.

I'm heavily considering the MD/MBA track at my school because I had a background in business before starting medical school. I have a lot of interest in how medicine and business can be reconciliated and how policy work can work to that effect.

I highly suggest figuring out why you want an MBA and if an MBA will actually serve to help you further your goals in your career as a physician. Especially if you are considering doing an outside MBA, it can be an extraordinarily expensive endeavor, and not one that necessarily pays off in medicine than if you say did an MBA for banking.

I'm heavily considering the MD/MBA track at my school because I had a background in business before starting medical school. I have a lot of interest in how medicine and business can be reconciliated and how policy work can work to that effect.

I highly suggest figuring out why you want an MBA and if an MBA will actually serve to help you further your goals in your career as a physician. Especially if you are considering doing an outside MBA, it can be an extraordinarily expensive endeavor, and not one that necessarily pays off in medicine than if you say did an MBA for banking.

This is important to emphasize. Some MBA degrees cost over 100k -- I wouldn't recommend going that route.

This is important to emphasize. Some MBA degrees cost over 100k -- I wouldn't recommend going that route.

Once again, I want to thank you guys for your feedback. My desire to learn more about the MD/MBA is due to my interest in the merger of medicine/business/policy as well -- I just don't know what that means for me yet. I will spend more time learning about the opportunities that an MD/MBA allows via this forum in addition to speaking to physicians who have gone this route.

Blais, do you know what you would want to do with your MBA?

Seriously, thank you all!

Once again, I want to thank you guys for your feedback. My desire to learn more about the MD/MBA is due to my interest in the merger of medicine/business/policy as well -- I just don't know what that means for me yet. I will spend more time learning about the opportunities that an MD/MBA allows via this forum in addition to speaking to physicians who have gone this route.

Blais, do you know what you would want to do with your MBA?

Seriously, thank you all!

I have a bit of a background in business, so can fully appreciate what acumen in this field can offer professionals in most [seemingly unrelated] fields -- especially medicine. While the actual knowledge imparted by an undergrad/grad degree in business is certainly an asset, much of the value of the pursuit rests in other facets of "the education". More specifically, teamwork skills will be developed, leadership qualities will be sharpened, big-picture thought processes will be adopted and a social network will be grown all in a fashion greatly dissimilar to the experiences of the vanilla "biology major straight to med school, straight to residency, straight to practicing".

There's only so much utility that can carried over to "real life" from having your only collegiate team/group work being in a science lab. If left in that vacuum, the functional development just isn't on par with the alternatives.

All that said, an mba is a rather open-ended degree -- dissimilar to an MD/DO. One goes to medical school to gain the specific knowledge that will further them to becoming a medical doctor; one goes to business school to... become a, uhh, "business man"? What is a "business man"? Whatever you want it to be.

I personally have very broad interests, both inside and outside the classroom/workplace. This naturally led me to take an early interest in a medical specialty that is diverse and somewhat open-ended (in patient population, practice settings, scheduling, options for hiatus and opportunities outside "the clinic"). What I mean by "outside the clinic" is that I have aspirations to not limit myself to sitting in my office from 9-5, 5 days/week, for 40 years. No, I can fully envision myself being open to the prospect of consulting, working with others on the development of new medical devices, and/or VC. Likewise, I can fully envision myself as growing averse to being a hospital-drone-doc and instead seeking positions of administration (whether that be department chair or on the hospital board of directors). A part of my entrepreneurial side really is fascinated with the idea of setting up/opening/managing my own clinic (read: 10+ full-time employees) and serving our patients with technology in new ways. I enjoy building organizations from the ground up and I think the ability to be one's own boss has a unique set of perks (along with its own set of headaches).

Now the interesting part is that, in reality, even when perusing the wide spectrum of my overly ambitious aspirations, I technically do not need an MBA to accomplish a single one of them (and it is for that reason that I mentioned earlier to keep your debt low). I'm not likely going to be sending in my application for a consulting gig at MBB, I don't personally need an MBA from Harvard, et al. Since my goals are aligned to be complemented by the degree [rather than built upon it, such as for those seeking IB gigs on wallstreet], I'll be served just as well by getting an mba from an institution that balances the issue of debt with reputation.

For me, it is simply a hybrid of building a larger tool kit coupled with a personal love for the subject matter. To satisfy those desires, I am willing to pay a bit -- just not too much... because like I mentioned earlier, the degree isn't exactly a necessity; it's very hard to calculate any potential ROI for what I outlined above.

That's my thoughts at the moment, of course, they are subject to change...really, they are open-ended. ;)

Last edited: