MD/MBA in residency applications/interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O

ortho-mdmba

How do you present the MD/MBA in residency applications or interviews especially when applying to surgical sub-specialties like Ortho? Do you highlight or minimize?

Some programs might think you are a "flight" risk.

Please be specific.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Personally (I may be a bit biased though :) ), I think it's an asset to have an MBA when you are applying for residency. But I'm not the only one. I've talked to numerous deans that think it truly elevates your application-and these people don't like med students to take time off to get an MBA (go figure!). The key is how you present it. Have you been able to demonstrate an application of your MBA to medicine or did you concentrate your time on I-banking? If you have no healthcare applications of your MBA, I think you minimize this during your interview. But if you did something like start a clinic or figure out a way for more uninsured to get insurance etc. then I you highlight highlight highlight.

Regardless, they will ask you and you have to have an explanation, so prepare for it. Practice it and communicate with your deans about what to say. Chances are that you've already explained this numerous times so just refine your shpiel.

In terms of being a "flight risk" I think the easiest thing for an MD/MBA to do is to leave right after med school. If you state that you are committed to being a clinican and have good reasons why you want to become (in your case) an orthopod, then not only will they NOT see you as a flight risk, but they will see you as an asset. Keep in mind that many residency programs now offer fellowships in administration. Additionally, if you can't keep your doors open, you can't see patients. How do you keep your doors open...you have to know how to handle the $$$.