MD MD Class of 2022 How we feeling?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
dang I wish I did that future care app... I emailed my Dean of Admissions though and she connected me to FInancial aid director who gave me $14,500. I'm very happy with that but I emailed to see if I could get it increased just for the hell of it. I figured they won't take back the $14,500 and could only say no

the future care scholarship? I did!
Is the app closed for this year? I checked online and it said the app would open May 1 2018 but there was no option to start an application.

Is the app closed for this year? I checked online and it said the app would open May 1 2018 but there was no option to start an application.

Yeah, it closed on June 28

Oh crap I was supposed to do that

dang I wish I did that future care app... I emailed my Dean of Admissions though and she connected me to FInancial aid director who gave me $14,500. I'm very happy with that but I emailed to see if I could get it increased just for the hell of it. I figured they won't take back the $14,500 and could only say no

oh well, thanks

Ahh yeah unfortuantely it's closed now. If any of you guys happen to be immigrants or have parents who are immigrants, the PD Soros Scholarship is still open and it's for $90,000 (45k a year for two years.).

Reactions: 4 users
Last week of work before taking the rest of July off. Four weeks today until orientation! Crazy
I have two more weeks of work, before taking a couple off. 5 weeks until I start.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Paying 1750 a month for a 550 square foot studio in one of the most expensive cities in america. Price of living alone, but **** roommates
Is it New York? I have a feeling it's New York.

One of the most expensive, if not the most expensive part of DC.
Sorry bud. Truth be told though, I'd also rather pay a **** ton of money to live in an apartment by myself than live cheaper with a roommate.
Edit: SDN blurred out **** :rofl::rofl::rofl:I never knew they did that! ****! :rofl:

Reactions: 6 users
This is my last night of work! I'm torn between being incredibly excited and horribly depressed that I'm not going to be making any money for several years :/

This is my last night of work! I'm torn between being incredibly excited and horribly depressed that I'm not going to be making any money for several years :/
I feel the same way! I've been working extra (but also spending more getting my home set up) with the thought that I will have no more money/work soon. I have one more week of work.

any of you guys use a countertop/portable dishwasher before? my 1750/mo studio does not come with a dishwasher lmao

any of you guys use a countertop/portable dishwasher before? my 1750/mo studio does not come with a dishwasher lmao
Dude use minimal dishes and wash it in the sink.

Reactions: 1 users
A week out from starting and it’s getting increasingly difficult to enjoy the last leg of my vacation without habitually whipping out my phone and searching “How to succeed in medical school”, “Firecracker vs Zanki”, “When should I begin research?” or “Medschool and me: how to not f*** it up”

Reactions: 22 users
A week out from starting and it’s getting increasingly difficult to enjoy the last leg of my vacation without habitually whipping out my phone and searching “How to succeed in medical school”, “Firecracker vs Zanki”, “When should I begin research?” or “Medschool and me: how to not f*** it up”
All day, every day, lol. I've got my zanki all set up and ready to go, library ebooks bookmarked in chrome, videos and qbanks lined up to purchase (haven't heard anything about my school supplying any, but hoping to find out otherwise at orientation ). I'm definitely not doing any pre-studying, but I'm ready to hit the ground running!

All day, every day, lol. I've got my zanki all set up and ready to go, library ebooks bookmarked in chrome, videos and qbanks lined up to purchase (haven't heard anything about my school supplying any, but hoping to find out otherwise at orientation ). I'm definitely not doing any pre-studying, but I'm ready to hit the ground running!

One of us, one of us!

Reactions: 6 users
A week out from starting and it’s getting increasingly difficult to enjoy the last leg of my vacation without habitually whipping out my phone and searching “How to succeed in medical school”, “Firecracker vs Zanki”, “When should I begin research?” or “Medschool and me: how to not f*** it up
Let me know your review on this one I need it :laugh:

ive heard not to purchase a qbank until second year, closer to dedicated?

that’s usually for traditional cirriculums which only start path in second year. lots of schools use organ systems where you learn essentially everything about those systems. then you can use qbanks go test your knowledge and solidify your learning. most of my friends who are med students said they did waaaay better on exams once they started using qbanks consistently

Reactions: 2 users
That would be for the UW Qbank. Kaplan or RX can be started earlier if your curriculum goes by systems.

You guys already set up your study tools?!

Shoot, I’ve been hitting the gym and chillin’ in my underwear.... XD

Reactions: 13 users
Orientation starts on Wednesday! Excuse me while I go barf again...

Reactions: 10 users
Checking in! Y’all stressing me out with study stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 7 users

Haha Im with ya! I think I finally decided Im going to go with Firecracker, it seems like its super structered and will tell you everything you need to do that day.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I still have weeks left to decide but everyone seems so much more decided than I am hahaha. I don't even know if most of these study tools are relevant for Canadian med schools (may make my own Anki decks but we'll see). I haven't even bought my technology yet, I'm just trying to get through my last few shifts at work alive so I can relax for a few blissful weeks before hitting the ground running.

can someone explains what zanki anki firecracker is because even with all these posts about which is better im out here with no idea what they are other than electronic flashcards I think????

got me beat, ive been chillin in my birthday suit

(not in public, not a criminal)

Been working overnights, so on my nights off I've had a lottttt of free time with nothing to do. After 300 hours even Zelda starts gets a little old.

can someone explains what zanki anki firecracker is because even with all these posts about which is better im out here with no idea what they are other than electronic flashcards I think????

Anki is a program that uses spaced repitition to show you flashcards/questions you create. Zanki is a "deck" of pre made cards found within anki. Both are free. Firecracker uses the same spaced repitition algorhithm with pre made cards, questions, videos, step 1 style questions. If you just youtube both, youll get a feel for what they are

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Essentially that's it. Anki and Firecracker are both flashcard programs/apps that utilize spaced repetition to repeat cards as you need.

Firecracker is all premade cards. It's also ~$500.

Anki is free and allegedly has a better algorithm for the spacing. At its base, you have to make your own cards for Anki, which a lot of people prefer. There are also premade Anki decks out there. The most popular historically has been Brosencephalon's, however in the past couple years Zanki has become the go to on SDN.
This is a really good guide to using Zanki. Well, it's a good guide to setting it up, I'll have to wait to see if it's a good guide to actually using it.

Been working overnights, so on my nights off I've had a lottttt of free time with nothing to do. After 300 hours even Zelda starts gets a little old.

Oh please, I bet you don’t even have all the heart containers yet!

;)

Essentially that's it. Anki and Firecracker are both flashcard programs/apps that utilize spaced repetition to repeat cards as you need.

Anki is free and allegedly has a better algorithm for the spacing. At its base, you have to make your own cards for Anki, which a lot of people prefer. There are also premade Anki decks out there. The most popular historically has been Brosencephalon's, however in the past couple years Zanki has become the go to on SDN.
This is a really good guide to using Zanki. Well, it's a good guide to setting it up, I'll have to wait to see if it's a good guide to actually using it.
Excellent synopsis. Firecracker is for people with money burning a hole in their pocket (plus, there are studies showing that Anki is superior). As a rising M2, I am glad I started and stuck with the trifecta of zanki, pathoma, and sketchy for M1. For M2, I will be integrating uworld and rx.

When I looked it up on the App store it said it was $25 to buy. Is there another version that I'm missing?

When I looked it up on the App store it said it was $25 to buy. Is there another version that I'm missing?
The desktop app is free. The ipad/iphone app is 25 bucks.

Excellent synopsis. Firecracker is for people with money burning a hole in their pocket (plus, there are studies showing that Anki is superior). As a rising M2, I am glad I started and stuck with the trifecta of zanki, pathoma, and sketchy for M1. For M2, I will be integrating uworld and rx.
Studies??

I'll personally be using zanki because I can make edits where I see fit, but based on the people posting feedback on sdn/reddit, almost all the insanely high step1 scorers are saying FC saved their ass.

But yeah, where are these studies at?

Studies??

I'll personally be using zanki because I can make edits where I see fit, but based on the people posting feedback on sdn/reddit, almost all the insanely high step1 scorers are saying FC saved their ass.

Out of curiosity and boredom, I've read quite a few step 1 experience posts, and other than working insanely hard and doing well in preclinical classes, there doesn't seem to be a common way to score 260+. Some do firecracker fanatically, others are zanki zealots. Some do all the the Qbanks before dedicated, others only do UW in dedicated and no Qbanks during preclinicals. Some memorize everything in FA - others don't read it. Some do every single practice test they can find - others only do a couple.

Studies??

Was done in 2015 at Wash U. Although not a perfect study by any means, it gives me the psychological backing that I need lol. However, it all depends on your particular learning style. As you said, I like being able to edit and add cards. And I like having the extra money in my pocket.

Anyone looking to do Boards and Beyond? I saw some of their sample videos yesterday and they seem good. but I have no baseline to compare haha

I'm thinking now Zanki+own modification (FC does look more appealing to me software wise though), BB, Pathoma, sketchy

Out of curiosity and boredom, I've read quite a few step 1 experience posts, and other than working insanely hard and doing well in preclinical classes, there doesn't seem to be a common way to score 260+. Some do firecracker fanatically, others are zanki zealots. Some do all the the Qbanks before dedicated, others only do UW in dedicated and no Qbanks during preclinicals. Some memorize everything in FA - others don't read it. Some do every single practice test they can find - others only do a couple.
Haha I've also read through the experience threads (both 17 and 18 - don't ask why lol) and I agree. It seems like it doesn't really matter what resources you use as long as you're using them to the fullest, learning (not just memorizing) as much as you can and making sure it matches your learning style.

That would be for the UW Qbank. Kaplan or RX can be started earlier if your curriculum goes by systems.

Do some schools provide these subscriptions or at least a discount? I'm going to be on a pretty rough budget and I'm seeing people talk about getting all these subscriptions but they are like $300-$400 per year, per bank. I won't be in a traditional curriculum and would like every advantage I can get.

Also, some will do everything “right”and still not do well while some who seemingly don’t do anything will rock it. You will also find people who will say they are doing x and y, but are really half-assing it (many seem to struggle keeping up with Zanki, for example, in my experience).

Do some schools provide these subscriptions or at least a discount? I'm going to be on a pretty rough budget and I'm seeing people talk about getting all these subscriptions but they are like $300-$400 per year, per bank. I won't be in a traditional curriculum and would like every advantage I can get.
I've def seen discount codes going around. maybe search on google or sdn search bar. Hopefully some goddess can post some.