MD MD Class of 2022 How we feeling?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a macbook air from 2014. Got me through college, but it barely works now and am probably upgrading. Don’t try and save that much money on a laptop... it’s like a mattress- you use it so much you want it to be top notch. My macbook air barely runs and there is a reason it was essentially discontinued. If you must get it, get 8g of ram. I have 4 and I’m always at 3.9 usage. But seriously, even $1000 is not a lot of money on something you use every day for hours

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else explored the area around their homes/apartments? My walk to school/medical center is 8 mins, whole foods is 5 mins, and the local hipster cafe is 2 mins. I love you cali

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone else finally over the honeymoon phase good vibes of “OH MY GOD IM GOING TO MEDICAL SCHOOL” and now in the stark realization phase of “oh my god I’m going to medical school....”

I feel blessed af, but I’m like oh jeebus here we go. It’s like you’re super hyped to go skydiving your whole life and you finally get to go and you definitely know it’s going to be an amazing experience you’ll never regret

:D

but now you’re staring out of the open plane door like

D:

Reactions: 29 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else finally over the honeymoon phase good vibes of “OH MY GOD IM GOING TO MEDICAL SCHOOL” and now in the stark realization phase of “oh my god I’m going to medical school....”

I feel blessed af, but I’m like oh jeebus here we go. It’s like you’re super hyped to go skydiving your whole life and you finally get to go and you definitely know it’s going to be an amazing experience you’ll never regret

:D

but now you’re staring out of the open plane door like

D:

Omg yes. I thought I was the only one. I’m binge watching my last series on Netflix (I think) before school starts and it’s going to be so hard not watching it anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
Finally about to move to new city on Tuesday. Wife and I will have a couple weeks to settle new apartment and buy whatever furniture we can and she will start her job like next week. Here we go!

Also, have basically zero business casual wardrobe right now that fits right so that’s a problem

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Sympathetic nervous system mediated distal alimentary canal stimulation.

Reactions: 6 users
I've been meaning to ask, how does pass/fail work? How are you able to gauge how you're doing or if you are only barely squeaking by?

I've been meaning to ask, how does pass/fail work? How are you able to gauge how you're doing or if you are only barely squeaking by?
It’s usually they give you a grade (70% or something) that you have to get on your tests to get a P. So you’re squeezing by I guess if you’re just at that 70%.

On the other hand, if 90% of students “fail” an exam, the score you will need to pass will significantly drop. If the average for that particular test is a 45%, most likely that grade will establish your passing minimum. Anything below that will be considered a failing grade

Reactions: 1 users
On the other hand, if 90% of students “fail” an exam, the score you will need to pass will significantly drop. If the average for that particular test is a 45%, most likely that grade will establish your passing minimum. Anything below that will be considered a failing grade

If passing= the average score, wouldn't that mean half the class fails each exam?

lol

Just learned that most of our exams are in-house and not NBME. :vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit:

Members don't see this ad :)
Passing would be like 70% and the average could be like 88% for instance.
Exactly. It’s not vice versa. There will always be a set passing grade, but if the average falls below that, so too will the “set” passing grade.

Also, in-house exams suck

Still gonna use all the resources I was planning originally. Apparently it’s mostly MDs but they love tailoring to their personal practices. If my grade suffers a bit, so be it, idgaf.

Still gonna use all the resources I was planning originally. Apparently it’s mostly MDs but they love tailoring to their personal practices. If my grade suffers a bit, so be it, idgaf.
MDs are teaching your courses??? We literally don’t even have a single MD teaching our first year courses

Sorry to derail the thread here. I’m buying a used MacBook Air 13.3” (2013) and wondering if it’s worth $200 and good for taking notes.

I’ve always been a PC person but own an iPhone. I just bought an iPad Pro for taking notes and thought syncing would be nice. I’ll be giving my normal PC to my younger sib! Thoughts are appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a 2012 MacBook Air, still works great. Although I had to replace the battery a couple years ago and that was $150 or so.

I would say it's worth it if the Air is in great condition and the battery is also in great condition. If the battery is depleted and/or swelling then it's not worth it because you would be looking at either frustrating/unreliable usage experience or significant battery replacement cost (for something that is already dated).

Have a 2012 MacBook Air, still works great. Although I had to replace the battery a couple years ago and that was $150 or so.

I would say it's worth it if the Air is in great condition and the battery is also in great condition. If the battery is depleted and/or swelling then it's not worth it because you would be looking at either frustrating/unreliable usage experience or significant battery replacement cost (for something that is already dated).
Just make sure that whatever you buy, it has a touch screen. Taking notes on OneNote or Notability (apple users) is unparalleled. I literally couldn’t get by without it

Last edited:
Finally about to move to new city on Tuesday. Wife and I will have a couple weeks to settle new apartment and buy whatever furniture we can and she will start her job like next week. Here we go!

Also, have basically zero business casual wardrobe right now that fits right so that’s a problem

This is me literally 2 weeks ago. Wife is now settled into her job, the house is put together, and things are settling down...and classes start next week so things will get interesting. I found a ton of nice dress clothes at Goodwill actually in great condition. Saved a ton of money

I’ve been trying to put med school in the back of my mind, but now, as the first day approaches, I’m terrified. :(

I’ll be living on my own (albeit with incoming MS1s) for the first time. The city I’m moving into is known for bad stuff (stabbings, break-ins, etc)... Because housing is really expensive, I had to find housing ~10 min walk from the school.

Also, I’m a pretty introverted & a quiet person so I’m hoping I can make a few close friends. I dont like socializing in large groups (not a partier...too noisy & crowded for me). My class is relatively large, about 200 people. I cant imagine how awkward the ice-breakers are going to be :oops::oops:

Not to mention how stressful med school will be. Ahh I’m just stressing about stress at this point.

I’ve been trying to put med school in the back of my mind, but now, as the first day approaches, I’m terrified. :(

I’ll be living on my own (albeit with incoming MS1s) for the first time. The city I’m moving into is known for bad stuff (stabbings, break-ins, etc)... Because housing is really expensive, I had to find housing ~10 min walk from the school.

Also, I’m a pretty introverted & a quiet person so I’m hoping I can make a few close friends. I dont like socializing in large groups (not a partier...too noisy & crowded for me). My class is relatively large, about 200 people. I cant imagine how awkward the ice-breakers are going to be :oops::oops:

Not to mention how stressful med school will be. Ahh I’m just stressing about stress at this point.

Maybe I didn’t feel this way because I hardly had a break. But...it’s really not that bad. Being in a school with 200+ kids, located in a purportedly high-crime city, with relatively expensive housing just feels like college all over again. It’s doubtful you’ll be cool with everyone in your class, but there will be atleast one or two individuals that you’ll click with (whether it’s for study groups, relaxing on the weekends, sharing resources, or whatever).

Just take this time to relax and wind down. Go to Six Flags, scream your head off, and then prepare yourself for transition into M1

You're definitely not alone in feeling nervous about Med School. It's a transition. It's kind of like graduating from high school. I'm mentally disheveled right now, lol.

I think all it's going to take is a week or two to adjust to a new living situation/school, and you'll be good. Orientation will help situate you. As far as socializing goes, the nice thing about medical school is most of the people there will be more on the mature side. Of course, there are always people that are the exception to the rule, but it won't be anywhere near the majority. If you like smaller groups, then join study groups/small clubs. It'll make it easier to get to know people and establish a friend group (that's what they say anyway). My best advice is to relax as you meet all these new people and don't overthink things. A lot of people are also nervous about making a good impression, and as long as you're not obnoxious, I'm sure it'll be fine! :D

When did you guys plan on starting to use UWorld questions to prepare for Step?

Every advice thread I have read more or less mentions that dont worry about Step studying until M1 Summer/ M2 year.

When did you guys plan on starting to use UWorld questions to prepare for Step?

Most/all sources I've seen have said to hold off on Uworld until second year (usually until second semester/December/January) for a first pass. Then to do a second pass during dedicated. I believe this is because Uworld is regarded as being a good indicator of where you stand in overall STEP knowledge and you don't want to go through it "prematurely".

However, there are other question banks (Kaplan/USMLERx) that are decent that some people go through earlier for practice. I plan on starting to dabble in question banks at the latest by M1 summer. I'll probably start slowing working my way into them sometime M1 spring. I do have a systems based curriculum though, FYI.

GOODWILL! (Savers, Salvation Army etc) My regions has a new color half off for the week starting on Mondays, so I go Saturday to scope out what I want and get there ASAP when that item is now half off on Monday.

I just visited my (highly opinionated) 89 y.o. grandmother and this conversation went down:

Home Health Aide: So this is your granddaughter the medical student? That's impressive!
Grandma: No, that's definitely NOT impressive. She hasn't even started medical school yet. Her cousin's an astrophysicist-- now THAT'S impressive.

Love you too, grandma. :rofl:

Reactions: 16 users
Orientation starts tomorrow. I'm a rather introverted person, and part of me wants to avoid all optional social events. But the other part of me wants to make friends and become involved with the student community.

Orientation starts tomorrow. I'm a rather introverted person, and part of me wants to avoid all optional social events. But the other part of me wants to make friends and become involved with the student community.

If you make even a little effort it's not really that hard get involved and meet people. I stuck to my guns and avoided everything for the most part but it would have easy to do even as someone extremely introverted. I just don't care for getting involved in that stuff at all.

I was feeling the same way about our, but I bit the bullet and went to most of them. Sooo rough, but just as equally fun. What did you end up doing?

I was feeling the same way about our, but I bit the bullet and went to most of them. Sooo rough, but just as equally fun. What did you end up doing?
Hey, I went to about half of them, which mostly occurred at bars. As an introvert, crowded bar scenes (likely 100+ med students one night) were exhausting. I'm glad I made an effort to be social, though, as I met a bunch of people, at least some of whom I can envision becoming close friends with. I felt a bit foreign at times, as I never really went out drinking in college (didn't have an ID, the social connections or much of a desire really). But there was usually some people to talk to if I engaged them. Almost everyone was friendly. It's been a mostly fun and interesting week, and I'm ready to start classes.

Last edited:
Hey, I went to about half of them, which mostly occurred at bars. As an introvert, crowded bar scenes (likely 100+ med students one night) were exhausting. I'm glad I made an effort to be social, though, as I met a bunch of people, at least some of whom I can envision becoming close friends with. I felt a bit foreign at times, as I never really went out drinking in college (didn't have an ID, the social connections and much of a desire really). But there was usually some people to talk to if I engaged them. Almost everyone was friendly. It's been a mostly fun and interesting week, and I'm ready to start classes.
That’s cool, I’m glad you gave it a shot too and sounds like you know who could potentially be your friends. I went in taking everyone and everything with a grain of salt. It’s the first week and everyone is trying to be on their best behavior so it’s not indicative to their true personalities. The next couple of weeks will be interesting as people start to relax around each other.