This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pvpapaioann

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was curious at my chances at getting in this cycle; here are my scores.

Residence: IL

cGPA: 3.91 sGPA: 3.92
MCAT: 506 (128, 123, 127, 128)

Extracurriculars: Varsity sport (captain, academic all-American, all conference, etc.), Undergrad research (336 hours, no publications), Clinical research at UofC hospitalist project (132 hours), Volunteering (84 hours), shadowing of orthopedics (31 hours), Fulbright research project in Chemistry (partnership with clinical laboratory), TA/Tutor, various academic awards (PBK, deans list, summa cum laude).

Schools applied to:
Northwestern
UIC
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Wisconsin
Indiana
Southern Illinois
Western Michigan
Rush
SLU
Toledo
Iowa
Louisville

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

Extracurriculars: Varsity sport (captain, academic all-American, all conference, etc.), Undergrad research (336 hours, no publications), Clinical research at UofC hospitalist project (132 hours), Volunteering (84 hours), shadowing of orthopedics (31 hours), Fulbright research project in Chemistry (partnership with clinical laboratory), TA/Tutor, various academic awards (PBK, deans list, summa cum laude).

Schools applied to:
Northwestern
UIC
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Wisconsin
Indiana
Southern Illinois
Western Michigan
Rush
SLU
Toledo
Iowa
Louisville
If I was being truthful, I would have to say you have a 1-3% chance, depending on your interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Because of weak clinical experience?
You have some choices that indicate you have not researched the schools on your list. Rush like lots of service hours...like over 800, many matriculants have well over 1000. Get the MSAR and do some research. AND...add some DO schools. I would also suggest you get some more volunteer experiences (both clinical and non-clinical) this year, so if you have to reapply next year, you will be set.

Reactions: 1 users
Here is a more realistic list:

Rosy Franklin

Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)

Loyola

WVU

Rush

MCW

SLU

Creighton

Albany

NYMC

VCU

Tulane

U VM

Oakland-B

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Netter

Your state school(s).

Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons. Start with CCOM.

EDIT: also agree that you need more non-clinical volunteering.

Hello all,

Schools applied to:
Northwestern
UIC
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Wisconsin
Indiana
Southern Illinois
Western Michigan
Rush
SLU
Toledo
Iowa
Louisville

Here is a more realistic list:

Rosy Franklin

Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)

Loyola

WVU

Rush

MCW

SLU

Creighton

Albany

NYMC

VCU

Tulane

U VM

Oakland-B

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Netter

Your state school(s).

Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons. Start with CCOM.

EDIT: also agree that you need more non-clinical volunteering.

Do you mean clinical volunteering? Because those 84 hours of volunteering are non clinical (HfH and Food Pantry)

Where do you believe I could be stronger in my application?

Definitely in clinical experience/volunteering. Obviously you are a very accomplished candidate. You just need to convince medical schools that you want this and clinical experience is the best way to show it.

Do you mean clinical volunteering? Because those 84 hours of volunteering are non clinical (HfH and Food Pantry)
So you have no clinical experience hours at all?

Well, my clinical research I've done (132) was technically volunteering and I've shadowed (31), but I have not had the opportunity to volunteer at a hospital besides this no. I figure as much that this was my weakness in my app.

Also, I will be spending this next year in Poland for my Fulbright scholarship; I am planning on volunteering at the hospital next to the building I'm working at, however I'm not sure how admissions will look at clinical experience in a foreign country.

Edit: The second question is if I have to reapply for the next cycle.

Well, my clinical research I've done (132) was technically volunteering and I've shadowed (31), but I have not had the opportunity to volunteer at a hospital besides this no. I figure as much that this was my weakness in my app.

Also, I will be spending this next year in Poland for my Fulbright scholarship; I am planning on volunteering at the hospital next to the building I'm working at, however I'm not sure how admissions will look at clinical experience in a foreign country.

Edit: The second question is if I have to reapply for the next cycle.
When do you leave for Poland? Try to get some clinical volunteering hours in before you go, so you'll be in better shape if you d have to reapply next year.

I'm allowed to leave the country for up to 14 days without grant reductions, so I would fly home for interview days.

I leave in mid September, so I do have time, you're correct. Don't most hospitals require a 4 month commitment?

I'm allowed to leave the country for up to 14 days without grant reductions, so I would fly home for interview days.

I leave in mid September, so I do have time, you're correct. Don't most hospitals require a 4 month commitment?
Try and accumulate at least 200 hours of clinical volunteering before you leave. It does not need to be in a hospital setting. From a practical perspective it would be easier to apply in June 2018 after you have accumulated sufficient clinical volunteering hours and with more flexibility for attending interviews.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your genuine input and valuable advice!