MD career options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what nontraditional career options are there with a MD degree? (i.e. law. business, etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

Check this out. <a href="http://www.ama-assn.org/sci-pubs/msjama/articles/vol_279/no_17/pu80019x.htm" target="_blank">http://www.ama-assn.org/sci-pubs/msjama/articles/vol_279/no_17/pu80019x.htm</a>

My fiance' is a patent attorney in Beverly Hills (but not an MD).

I'd think long and hard before making the choice of becoming a lawyer. She's totally overworked and never seems to get out from under her huge pile of paperwork.

She's thinking of being an FBI agent (seriously).

•••quote:•••Originally posted by prominence:
•what nontraditional career options are there with a MD degree? (i.e. law. business, etc.)•••••Prominence,

This is such a general question that I'm afraid a meaningful answer would be too exhaustive. There is an infinite number of things that one might consider. An MD degree opens a wealth of opportunity. It seems that just about any kind of job has a use for an MD somewhere.

Share with us your interests and the type of work you find gratifying, and perhaps we might offer you more insight.

im interested in some sort of management/ consultant position with a pharmaceutical company, HMO, or possibly with a hospital.

if i complete my MD degree, is a residency essential? obviously, a licensed MD would appear to be more attractive and have more creditability

also, i figure an MBA would be useful. does anyone know if one can enroll into an MBA program right out of medical school or immediately after residency? or would i have to enroll into an executive MBA program?

i have heard of MD's working as analysts for insurance firms. what kind of credentials/ background is necessary? would a certain area of medicine be more marketable (i.e. internal medicine); is a business background necessary?

i would appreciate any info or sources that may provide some answers. thanx.

•••quote:••• im interested in some sort of management/ consultant position with a pharmaceutical company, HMO, or possibly with a hospital</font>•••You will be happy to know that you will find gainful employment in any of these capacities. These are some of the more common non-clinical positions that MD assume.

•••quote:••• if i complete my MD degree, is a residency essential? obviously, a licensed MD would appear to be more attractive and have more creditability ••••You have hit the proverbial nail on the head. At the very least, I strongly recommend you complete at least a year of residency and pass step III. In this way, you can become board licensed. It would be a terrible waste of your time/money to go so far in the process without getting the real dividends of your labor. Being licensed really makes that much of a difference. It doesn't mean you cant do something else without out it. It does limit you. If you really despise clinical medicine, you can always do a year at a really benign community program. But please get licensed.

•••quote:••• also, i figure an MBA would be useful. does anyone know if one can enroll into an MBA program right out of medical school or immediately after residency? or would i have to enroll into an executive MBA program?••••Not only can you enroll right out of med school, you can even enroll while IN med school. Many school have sister MBA programs that design curriculums specifically for med students that want this sort of thing. My alma mater had a program with a rather prestigious MBA program that I am still considering doing. Most business schools would love the opportunity to educate an MD, although the more selective ones do have their pick of the litter. There are quite a few MDs pondering this very option.

The utility of the MBA is variable. I have personal friends who are now working in corporate america with and without MBA's. In both instances, they landed rather prestigious positions. I would definitely say an MBA from a name brand adds real muscle to your Resume, but being a licensed physician is likely to be sufficient in certain arenas, especially if you can demonstrate business acumen.

•••quote:••• i have heard of MD's working as analysts for insurance firms. what kind of credentials/ background is necessary? would a certain area of medicine be more marketable (i.e. internal medicine); is a business background necessary? ••••From what I have gleaned, internal medicine is held in high regard in a variety of non-clinical positions.

There is so much variability that pegging down specific credentials is tough. I would say, at the very least get licensed. At best, finish a 3 year residency in internal medicine. An MBA would be icing on the cake for your stated interests, although not absolutely essential.

•••quote:•••i would appreciate any info or sources that may provide some answers. thanx. ••••Unfortunately all I can offer you is parable. I am an entrepreneur at heart, and have explored this quite a bit, especially given the fact that I have close friends with MD now in corporate america. I don't believe there is any specific published information. Really the best source is speaking to others embarking on this journey, and to those already there. They will give you the best advice and insight.

•••quote:••• if i complete my MD degree, is a residency essential? obviously, a licensed MD would appear to be more attractive and have more creditability

You have hit the proverbial nail on the head. At the very least, I strongly recommend you complete at least a year of residency and pass step III. In this way, you can become board licensed. It would be a terrible waste of your time/money to go so far in the process without getting the real dividends of your labor. Being licensed really makes that much of a difference. It doesn't mean you cant do something else without out it. It does limit you. If you really despise clinical medicine, you can always do a year at a really benign community program. But please get licensed.••••

Klebsiella, my curiousity is piqued.

What occurs when one takes and passes step III? You say that you become licenced but licenced for what? To practice you need to complete residency, no?

I also am considering bailing out of medicine and am curious what I would be if I completed a PGY-1 year and step III.

Please tell.