MD after oral surgery??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldenfingers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

Anybody knows which schools offer a 2 year Medical degree for oral surgeons after finishing residency ?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Off the top of my head I know VCU, Knoxville, Jackson Memorial, and Iowa all offer this option. They are not all exactly 2 years and as far as I know you still have to do a Gen Surg intern year afterward (not sure if this is only necessary for medical licensure)

The PGY-1 year is for medical licensure. Most states will not let you even sit for Step III unless you have completed at least a year. Some states also require 2-3yr of post grad training for licensure in their states. Most 6yr-MD OMFS get credit for their OMFS training even though it is a CODA vs ACGME.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for your reply. I contacted the programs that you mentioned but none said that they offer it anymore!

Do you know anybody who did it recently??

thanks for your reply. I contacted the programs that you mentioned but none said that they offer it anymore!

Do you know anybody who did it recently??

I am at Jackson Memorial/University of Miami and I know for a fact that we do offer it. I'm pretty sure that the programs listed above offer the MD option too...

Hello

Anybody knows which schools offer a 2 year Medical degree for oral surgeons after finishing residency ?

Thank you

Some midwest programs offer that. Cincinnati or Columbus I think...
It is not 2 years, in practicality, it is 3 years including the one year Gen Surg.
Eric Carlson and Dan Buchbinder are noted OMSs that obtained their MD post residency

Some midwest programs offer that. Cincinnati or Columbus I think...
It is not 2 years, in practicality, it is 3 years including the one year Gen Surg.
Eric Carlson and Dan Buchbinder are noted OMSs that obtained their MD post residency

Dierks and Potter completed their MD's post OMFS residency as well I believe.

Hello

Thank you

To answer your question, I have no ****ing clue. On a side note, you have a sweet handle, Goldenfinger. Reminds me of a general sugery resident at my hospital who, while rolling a patient during a trauma activation, unknowingly got the index finger of his glove ripped off and proceeded to perform a rectal exam. After that night, he was dubbed the nickname, "Goldfinger".

To answer your question, I have no ****ing clue. On a side note, you have a sweet handle, Goldenfinger. Reminds me of a general sugery resident at my hospital who, while rolling a patient during a trauma activation, unknowingly got the index finger of his glove ripped off and proceeded to perform a rectal exam. After that night, he was dubbed the nickname, "Goldfinger".
I don't have to worry about that...

I don't use gloves ...

Haha... you guys use mullets at oakland too? Nice. Glad we at parkland taught you well!

Haha... you guys use mullets at oakland too? Nice. Glad we at parkland taught you well!

We have quite the variety here including femullets, mullatinos, afromullets, rat-tail wang chung mullets, skullets, etc. I definitely have you guys to thank for catching me up to speed.