McGill MD program only vs. SUNY Upstate MD PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aimg1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was accepted to the McGill (Montreal, Canada) MD program and the SUNY Upstate MD/PhD program. I am trying to decide between the two schools. I can still apply for the MD/PhD program at McGill after my first year. I would appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Thanks
aimg1

Members don't see this ad.

If you know for certain that you want to do MD/PhD, going to McGill would be too risky: you might not get into the program. But SUNY is a sure-fire shot for you, and if you have full-funding, then that's even better; perhaps McGill will not offer such funds for the MD. If you don't know if you want to do the PhD, then choose the location and curriculum that's a best fit for you. Best wishes at either - - both great schools!

don't listen to the risk business. yes, it's a risk, but if mcgill is your dream school and you like to learn canadian-french, go for it. if you have the persistance and motivation to do it, you'll get to the md/phd point somehow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which SUNY Upstate MD/PhD program? Buffalo or Syracuse? If it's Buffalo, I'd go there instead of McGill.

Congrats!

McGills has a great reputation. All the Canadian residents at Yale (that I know of) are either from U of T or McGills. If you really enjoy research, I'm sure you will find a good lab there too.

MD/PhD is a very big commitment - over the next best 7 or 8 years of your life. If you have doubts, I would think it's better to go to the MD only.

Good luck.